Trimble i-device GPS apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cod View Post
    FL..... Don't give up on your iPhone mapping. I have the Avenza PDF Maps and recently found another app called ArcGIS that I have been playing with. Both apps are FREE Versions. I will have to review these two again since I haven't used them since last hunting season but if I recall the second app I mentioned interested me cuz it allowed u to drop cookie crumbs to show your route taken.
    I will probably update my phone to the iPhone 5 when I get back home this fall.
    There are a couple threads on iPhone and mapping from the last two seasons. Read up on em. Happy to help where I can. Cheers.

OK. Clarification on my above post. Avenza PDF has "topo" maps that DO allow dropping crumbs (allowing a trail to be laid). The new (to me) ArcGIS app I added because rather than give u a 'topo' map, it comes in as a 'satellite' view which can be zoomed in just like a google earth view. Guess I'll have to see if Arc can get me that Satellite view where there is no cell ph coverage.
    The PDF maps I have used a lot hunting and snowmachining with much delight.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Well, still haven't taken a moment to actually go outside with these apps on the iPad yet. Still learning o get maps onto Avenza and just playing around with Avenza and Trimble. Oddly enough, soe time in the past, I must have downloaded Trimble Outdoor Navigator Pro for my iPod; I guess I was thinking I would look at maps on it or something. Come to find out, te Trimble Apps won't even load onto an Ipod Touch because they don't have a GPS rx, yet, the Avenza app will load and let me store offline maps etc etc. Just won't show my position.

On a related note, I spoke to the sales folks online at AT&T. Apparently, because my current plan is a pay per use text messaging plan, and because people won't stop sending me texts, those extra fees equal about what I'd pay for the 300MB data plan, which means going to an iPhone will get me unlimited voice and texts for within a few dollars of what I'm paying now for 450 mins a month on a flip phone. That would come with an iPhone 4S, which, according to the article that forum member bigakstuff posted in a different thread, is the better of all teh different iPhones for GPS use.

Comment

[QUOTE=FL2AK-Old
        yet, the Avenza app will load and let me store offline maps etc etc. Just won't show my position.

On a related note, I spoke to the sales folks online at AT&T. Apparently, because my current plan is a pay per use text messaging plan, and because people won't stop sending me texts, those extra fees equal about what I'd pay for the 300MB data plan, which means going to an iPhone will get me unlimited voice and texts for within a few dollars of what I'm paying now for 450 mins a month on a flip phone. That would come with an iPhone 4S, which, according to the article that forum member bigakstuff posted in a different thread, is the better of all teh different iPhones for GPS use.[/QUOTE]

FL.... I too have the iPhone 4. Finally broke away from the old flip phones 2.5 yrs ago and never looked back. Best move I could of made. With the downloaded PFD MAPS your blue light dot will show your position on the topo and give your gps coordinates when centered on the screen.
        The iphone is a 'computer' with a phone app (and many other functions) which has proven itself invaluable.
        Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
        WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Well thanks for all the input, folks. Thought I'd post a follow-up note here to give some closure. So, I liked the GPS function of the iPhone (I actually used an iPad for testing). Overall, I preferred the Trimble App and maps over the Avenza and some of the other apps. What really killed the avenza for me was the relative difficulty of finding the maps I wanted on the USGS site and the lack of any kind of integration between maps. For example, I found myself getting close to the edge of a PDF map, which meant I had to go to the menu and find the next adjacent map. On the Trimble apps, the maps are super duper easy to find (purchase) and load to the device. They are also seamlessly integrated, so I don't have to be concerned with where the edge of my map is; it's going to just roll over to the next map automatically. I don't like that the Trimble maps are a "Subscription" which requires a constant, monthly bill. (That was the one thing that really torpedoed the iPhone as a GPS device replacement.)

So, I didn't find any reason great enough for me to switch away from my Garmin Handheld to an iPhone. Then I started looking at the cost of plans, and there just didn't seem to be anyway to get below $70 /month. So, what I decided, in the end, was actually to go backward and eliminate a cell phone of any type. I'm going back to a single phone in the home (still wireless: AT&T Wireless at Home), and dumping my cell phone all together. If that turns out to be impossible, THEN I'll go to the iPhone.

Comment

Try the app GPS KIT HD. Satellite maps in the field are a God send.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X