Pack frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pack frames

Any good recommendations for a pack frame? I don't want to spend a ton of money on a Barney's so that isn't an option. I've already got a good back packing backpack so all I am looking for is a good frame and harness.

Hey John, Mountain View has two types of frames similary to the old Cabela's frames. I can't tell the difference between the two but there is a cost difference.

Comment

Bill, how are the harness's on those things? I am trying to find an old Freighter style frame with a good harness on it.

Comment

I was in Mountain Sports here in Fairbanks yesterday and saw a knu-pac. Really a nice freighter frame, shelf and harness.
        http://www.knupac.com/products.html
        The website says $130.00 retail. They make them with canoe carrying attachments, bags, etc.
        A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

John, sorry it took so long. The harness are pretty good, padding is adequate on the shoulders anbd the hip belt is well padded and wide enough. I bought one to go with that bag I got from you.

Comment

Whats the brand names of those frames Bill?

Comment

I don't rememeber and I'm in Clevelnad right now and can't look. I think one was a camptrails, and the other had a different name but was identical except color. That bag fit perfectly on the second one.

Comment

Alternatives

You might try one of the Cabela's freighter frames. I'm not a huge fan of them compared to the Barney's frames, but you're not interested in those. The quality of the Cabela's frame has improved over the years, and it might serve your purposes for a few seasons. I have heard of some breakage by packing heavy loads of meat though.

-Mike
                Michael Strahan
                Site Owner
                Alaska Hunt Consultant
                1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Camp Trails

I had used the Camp Trails Freighter for over 15 years, until i hit it with my truck and bent it all to hell. I am looking for one like it with maybe a better harness and I will modify it accordingly. I believe with the right harness, I could put one together that would be just as good as the Barney's, if not better. I will have to check around Anchorage to see if I can find one. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Comment

Cabelas

I have one of the Cabelas "Alaskan" freighter frames/pack. My father in law has one of the Barneys big $$ packs. Between the two you can definitely see differences, but for the money, I'd have to say go with the Cabelas. My pack has been through many animals and is still is in great shape. The straps/harness system seems to be as good if not better than most and is very adjustable. I've been using it now for around 10 years and other than the occasional annoying squeak that I have to chase down, it has been trouble free.
                    AKmud
                    sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

bull pacs

has anyone used a bull pacs from idaho?

Comment

Sportsman's Warehouse has a nice pack frame that has a shelf on it. If I recall, it was close to a $100. Might be worth checking out.

Comment

My cousin and I each have a Bull Pac and we are both very happy with them. We have had them about 4-5 years and packed out numerous elk, some of the packs 6-7 miles one way, and have no complaints. They will run you about $180, but do have a lifetime guarantee. They are at the sportsman's show every year, and always ask me if I need any replacement parts, so you will never have to spend any more money on the pack, after you buy one. Very comfortable and very easy to tie down meat on to the pack.

Comment

AkHunter45 -- Just spend the $$$ on the Barney's and you won't have to worry about getting another one for a long, long time.
                            "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by daniel siu View Post
                              has anyone used a bull pacs from idaho?
                              I have not used one, but I did get one donated from them for our fundraiser in April. I will be setting up a table to sell raffle and event tickets at the Wasilla Sportsman's Warehouse on the 23rd and 24th and if you want to see it I can bring it in.

To tell you the true I thought about keeping it for myself, but that wouldn't be nice. It looks like the real deal!

Troy

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X