• Show
Clear All

• Ennis
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200410_132341 resized.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2757543My Impertech began to "de-lam" after about 9 months of moderate use. About a year later the adhesive that held the pocket on, failed. I sweat a lot when active and the jacket felt too hot, even on a 40 degree day.

Leave a comment:

• AKBEE
    replied
    With my Gore-Tex jackets, I wash them on cold and then spray them with Rivivex thoroughly and throw them in the dryer to refresh the repellency. Dirt plays heck with the breathable membrane rain-wear and cleaning it can really make a huge difference. Same with waders- seems like most people don't wash them.

Leave a comment:

• Andy82Hoyt
    replied
    Maybe I just wait too long after getting it nasty to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Cheeser
    replied
    That's the nice thing about gore-tex. Just toss it into the washing machine to get it clean and restore its breathability after it gets clogged with dirt/guts. I've resembled the smell you're referring to after days of fishing and hours upon hours of cleaning fish. After running it through the wash it comes out clean and odor-free.

BTW, when washing gore-tex clothing I wash it a second time without any soap and using the double-rinse feature of the washing machine. Soap residue clogs the fabric pores and I've noticed it doesn't breathe as well.

Leave a comment:

• Andy82Hoyt
    replied
    Originally posted by kobuk View Post
    I'm not familiar with the cabelas' gear but do have a story about my bro-in-law. He came up for a visit with his fancy new raingear. It looked real nice actually. The problem was that the fabric wasn't smooth and slick, more fabric-y feeling like some of the bass pro tounament raingear I have seen at stores like cabelas. Well after a week of cleaning fish and having a good time, you couldn't wash the stink out of that material. Never seen, or smelt, anything like it! He even stored it out when he got home and still stunk. The next trip up, the thing still smelled like an old bait cooler! haha I haven't seen that problem with any other raingear that has the smooth slick outer shell.
    I have seen that problem too. My wife loves the smell of old herring oil on my clothes!

Leave a comment:

• kobuk
    replied
    I'm not familiar with the cabelas' gear but do have a story about my bro-in-law. He came up for a visit with his fancy new raingear. It looked real nice actually. The problem was that the fabric wasn't smooth and slick, more fabric-y feeling like some of the bass pro tounament raingear I have seen at stores like cabelas. Well after a week of cleaning fish and having a good time, you couldn't wash the stink out of that material. Never seen, or smelt, anything like it! He even stored it out when he got home and still stunk. The next trip up, the thing still smelled like an old bait cooler! haha I haven't seen that problem with any other raingear that has the smooth slick outer shell.

Leave a comment:

• Cheeser
    replied
    Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
    The Cabela's Guidewear Extreme fishing jacket is awesome (does have neoprene cuffs) when it is chilly and wet. Very comfortable and lots of pockets. I have grundens and impertech as well. If neoprene gets wet- just dry it with a cloth and strap it back down.

I'll second the recommendation on Cabela's xtreme guidewear. It's kept me warm and dry in all conditions.

As a clarification, mine has rubber sleeve cuffs not neoprene. It's never let a drop of water through.

Leave a comment:

• Andy82Hoyt
    replied
    Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
    The Cabela's Guidewear Extreme fishing jacket is awesome (does have neoprene cuffs) when it is chilly and wet. Very comfortable and lots of pockets. I have grundens and impertech as well. If neoprene gets wet- just dry it with a cloth and strap it back down.
    I didnít even think about the Cabelas gear. Another reason these forums are great! Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    No, I don't mean that at all. Like I said, I like the impertech but the few times I used it on my boat it would get damaged.
    Oh, ok......yes they don't like kinda sharp pointy things at all. In fact I just snagged mine on a sharp rusty edge on a truck the other day. Mine are getting old(ish) now too, so I'll have to look for those light holes you mention.

Leave a comment:

• AKBEE
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kobuk
    replied
    No, I don't mean that at all. Like I said, I like the impertech but the few times I used it on my boat it would get damaged. They aren't very durable. I like how they don't weigh as much as the grundens but that is also their downfall. My wife uses hers on the boat all of the time with good luck but she isn't fileting the fish, pulling/setting anchor and whatnot. I've gone through multiple sets through the years. Besides tearing the biggest issue is they seem to just wear through where I can see a bunch of little light holes through the fabric when held up to a light. It happens in the shoulder area on the coat and the pants it's in the seat and knees. I will start getting wet. Probably why they started doubling up the seat and knee areas. They seem to be copied after the Peter Storm raingear which was amazing! I still have my original coat from late 80s early 90s and it has lived through years of hunting kodiak and summers of fishing. I love the thing but it seems to have shrunk up some over the years and doesn't fit over layers anymore! You really can't compare the quality and durability of the grunden vs the impertech. That being said, I don't want to wear my grundens in the field. I am not trying to knock the impertech, I still think it is a great value raingear, it just isn't the best for me on my boat.

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Ö.For boat use they don't seem to work for me.
    What do you mean by that? Do you mean the Impertec doesn't keep you dry from heavy spray?

Leave a comment:

• kobuk
    replied
    I have a set of the Impertech as well. It is a deceint light weight rain gear. It doesn't seem to hold up very well for me but it is also fairly inexpensive. I added clamp on suspenders to my pants to keep them up and I do like that. They are a lot lighter than my grundens and my wife likes hers. It does dry faster than my grundens on the inside. They are my kick around general use raingear and work pretty good. For boat use they don't seem to work for me.

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Thatís what I currently have. The bibs are just beat up and need to be replaced, too many holes. The jacket still keeps water out but the zipper stinks. I think it has just seen salt water too many times. I love the flexibility of the rain gear but itís hard to dry the inside when it gets wet.
    As you very well know it's hard to keep them dry on the inside if you exert yourself much at all. If/when I do I try to, if it's not raining too hard, remember to unzip for awhile and let it breathe a bit more to let a little moisture out. Seems to help.

Leave a comment:

• Andy82Hoyt
    replied
    Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
    I still like my Helly Hanson Impertec, and know a lot of others that do too. Light and durable.
    Thatís what I currently have. The bibs are just beat up and need to be replaced, too many holes. The jacket still keeps water out but the zipper stinks. I think it has just seen salt water too many times. I love the flexibility of the rain gear but itís hard to dry the inside when it gets wet.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X