Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danner Pronghorn 800g insulated (45013)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Danner Pronghorn 800g insulated (45013)

    Hey all, found these on sale for $100. Reviews online are good, anybody use these especially in the interior? My wife got me a pair but wondering if it would be worth a second pair at that price.
    Danner Pronghorn 8” 800G thinsulate Gortex waterproof hunting boot.
    https://www.danner.com/pronghorn-8-m...nity-800g.html

  • #2
    I bought a pair several years back. They have been a pretty good boot that I wear with heavy socks as they are a mite larger than I would like. So for the colder fall days they work pretty well. Comfortable, water proof and warm enough for me. I used them this fall in Sept. for my moose hunting and I was never cold as the temps got down around the 30's. The sole pattern grips rocks pretty good and mud. They are not the quality of my Lowes or Mendls but for a mid price range boot they have been fine.

    Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans


    Comment


    • #3
      I have a pair, I have used (rarely) for about ten years. They are fine on flat ground, but suck for lack of safe traction in rugged terrain. The sole is just lacking for traction, and is basically "close" to smooth. These boots re-educated me to first look at the heel, and see what is there for traction when coming down any type slope, especially grassy slopes, need super traction, or fall on your ass, which sucks with a heavy pack. I like "Air-Bob" soles or anything more aggressive for traction. Overall I would not recommend this boot for Alaska, other then government approved "Trails". They do come with top quality laces.
      Good boot for flat ground..........and they are well made......just suck for traction.
      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
        I have a pair, I have used (rarely) for about ten years. They are fine on flat ground, but suck for lack of safe traction in rugged terrain. The sole is just lacking for traction, and is basically "close" to smooth. These boots re-educated me to first look at the heel, and see what is there for traction when coming down any type slope, especially grassy slopes, need super traction, or fall on your ass, which sucks with a heavy pack. I like "Air-Bob" soles or anything more aggressive for traction. Overall I would not recommend this boot for Alaska, other then government approved "Trails". They do come with top quality laces.
        Good boot for flat ground..........and they are well made......just suck for traction.
        Thanks for the info. These are Danners 4th generation of the Pronghorn and it looks like they improved the tread but I’ll definitely look closely at them before I do anything crazy.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
          I bought a pair several years back. They have been a pretty good boot that I wear with heavy socks as they are a mite larger than I would like. So for the colder fall days they work pretty well. Comfortable, water proof and warm enough for me. I used them this fall in Sept. for my moose hunting and I was never cold as the temps got down around the 30's. The sole pattern grips rocks pretty good and mud. They are not the quality of my Lowes or Mendls but for a mid price range boot they have been fine.
          Which Lowa’s do you have? I have the Renegades that have died and need to be replaced but they were not hunting boots anyway. I was looking at the El Caminos and trying to decide if I really needed to jump up to like the Tibet’s.

          Comment


          • #6
            Renegrades X's2. I wear them everywhere...… except the older pair. They have a scent of their own from fishing, shrimping and such so where peope are around I try to avoid. :whistle:That pair I have beaten the crap out of and they are still going. I wear them hunting.

            Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
              Renegrades X's2. I wear them everywhere...… except the older pair. They have a scent of their own from fishing, shrimping and such so where peope are around I try to avoid. :whistle:That pair I have beaten the crap out of and they are still going. I wear them hunting.
              Yeah I loved these Renegades. A bunch of the stitching is coming undone on my left toe. But I talked to the Lowa US folks and they said they would recommend the minimum for hunting/carrying a heavy pack would be the Caminos or higher. I want the Caminos or Big Horns.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Leryt View Post
                Thanks for the info. These are Danners 4th generation of the Pronghorn and it looks like they improved the tread but I’ll definitely look closely at them before I do anything crazy.
                I looked at the "Link" you provided in the original Post. And it shows same tread as mine.
                "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                Comment


                • #9

                  Maybe this is why mine grip better. The tongue label is Pronghorns 8". Maybe they changed the pattern after mine were made.

                  Patriot Life Member NRA
                  Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                  Life Member Disabled American Veterans


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]97195[/ATTACH]
                    Maybe this is why mine grip better. The tongue label is Pronghorns 8". Maybe they changed the pattern after mine were made.
                    Interesting mine are 10 1/2" TALL and the tongue label say's 8" Pronghorn.
                    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you like a rigid boot, and if they have your size, these are very hard to beat for the price. Awhile back I bought two pair and just love em'! https://www.sierratradingpost.com/as...solo~b~1120%2F

                      Haven't tried these but I bet they are just as good if not better: https://www.sierratradingpost.com/as...solo~b~1120%2F
                      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                        Interesting mine are 10 1/2" TALL and the tongue label say's 8" Pronghorn.
                        Mine are probably older than yours and they changed the design. One production year difference could be the reason.

                        Patriot Life Member NRA
                        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                        Life Member Disabled American Veterans


                        Comment

                        Footer Adsense

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X