Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheeser
    replied
    Big thanks to the OP for starting this thread. As a result of asking my partner about the cost/effort of knitting a wool hoodie, she is about to order the pattern and yarn for my homemade wool hoodie!!!

Leave a comment:

• JoeJ
    replied
    Originally posted by mlshore View Post
    The Lester River stuff is actually made by Empire Wool and Canvas Company and they both experiment a lot and take on custom work. I've got a couple of their pieces, including the wool hoodie, and I love them a lot. You can find them here: https://empirecanvasworks.com/ and they often sell off experimental pieces at a discount on their Facebook page.
    Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'm a big fan of Kevin's work...expensive, hard to get at times...and fantastic.

That'd be where I'd start. He'd likely be happy to tell you if he's tried it and if it would even be worth attempting. One of the reasons I love wool is that it's warm but breathable. I don't think reducing the breathability would work so well.

I've got both the Camp Coat and Grey Fox Pullover from Empire Wool & Canvas - workmanship is 1st rate and Kevin knows from actual experience and listening to others on the trail, just what is needed/desired/wanted by the person enjoying the chilly environment, such as the kangaroo pouch pockets with a couple plastic D-rings and drawstrings within the pouch pockets - very nice touches for those who know what it is like to lose a set of keys on the trail.

You definitely get what you pay for from Kevin - just like everything else in this world, top notch quality is a tad more expensive than "run of the mill" garments and wool gets the job done.

Leave a comment:

• JoeJ
    replied
    The Lester River stuff is actually made by Empire Wool and Canvas Company and they both experiment a lot and take on custom work. I've got a couple of their pieces, including the wool hoodie, and I love them a lot. You can find them here: https://empirecanvasworks.com/ and they often sell off experimental pieces at a discount on their Facebook page.
    Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'm a big fan of Kevin's work...expensive, hard to get at times...and fantastic.

That'd be where I'd start. He'd likely be happy to tell you if he's tried it and if it would even be worth attempting. One of the reasons I love wool is that it's warm but breathable. I don't think reducing the breathability would work so well.

I've got both the Camp Coat and Grey Fox Pullover plus the True North Mitts from Empire Wool & Canvas - workmanship is 1st rate and Kevin knows from actual experience and listening to others on the trail, just what is needed/desired/wanted by the person enjoying the chilly environment, such as the kangaroo pouch pockets with a couple plastic D-rings and drawstrings within the pouch pockets - very nice touches for those who know what it is like to lose a set of keys on the trail.

You definitely get what you pay for from Kevin - just like everything else in this world, top notch quality is a tad more expensive than "run of the mill" garments and wool gets the job done.

Leave a comment:

• beachbunny
    replied
    i've got a boreal shirt and i just layer over or under it. golf shirts i get in the thrift shop for a couple bucks block wind well,wind dies off peel it off and that works for me.

Leave a comment:

• AKBEE
    replied
    Just an FYI- Ibex just closed up shop! Real shame.
    I won't argue other people's experience and preferences but I have had mixed experiences with GT-mostly good. I do like my GT rain pants and I also agree with previous post about keeping it clean. Just like waders- they like to have a good wash every now and then.

Leave a comment:

• The German
    replied
    If you get a chance, check out -[King of the Mountain Wool]-, made in South Dakota, USA,,,,, I've been using it since the early 90's, it don't get any better, Period,,,,, and it's Machine Washable.
    TG:topjob:

Leave a comment:

• Cheeser
    replied
    Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
    It works pretty good as long as it ain't raining that hard.......lol
    I've never had my gore-tex leak in the rain. At the end of the day my friends without gore-tex are soaked with sweat, while those of us wearing gore-tex are dry and warm. Sorry to hear your experiences haven't been as positive because it's a fantastic product that, in my experience, works exactly as described.

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    My experience with GT began in the late 70's and early 80's when the marketing hype began and we began selling it in the shop. GT's ability to pass moisture vapor relies on vapor pressure differential from one side of the membrane to the other. It works in the lab where temp/vapor pressure can be controlled, but in outdoor garment applications, subject to the realities of physics, it for all intents and purposes does not function as the hype would have you believe. GT's ubiquitous use is a function of excellent marketing, little more.
    It works pretty good as long as it ain't raining that hard.......lol

Leave a comment:

• iofthetaiga
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheeser View Post
    I have gore-tex gear that is over 10 years old that is still as breathable (and warm) as it was on day 1.
    My experience with GT began in the late 70's and early 80's when the marketing hype began and we began selling it in the shop. GT's ability to pass moisture vapor relies on vapor pressure differential from one side of the membrane to the other. It works in the lab where temp/vapor pressure can be controlled, but in outdoor garment applications, subject to the realities of physics, it for all intents and purposes does not function as the hype would have you believe. GT's ubiquitous use is a function of excellent marketing, little more.

Leave a comment:

• Cheeser
    replied
    Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    For all intents and purposes, Gore-Tex doesn't breath. You may as well put on a thin sweater, then a plastic garbage bag, then another thin sweater, because that's exactly the same effect you get.

My experience with gore-tex is the exact opposite. My gore-tex gear works exactly as described - it lets moisture out and keeps the warmth in. If your gore-tex isn't breathing than it probably needs to be washed because the pores are clogged. At the start of spring/fall and after every major trip I toss all of my gore-tex into the washing machine (no soap) to ensure the gore-tex pores are clean for the next trip. I have gore-tex gear that is over 10 years old that is still as breathable (and warm) as it was on day 1.

I asked my partner (she's a serious knitter) about your wool hoodie idea and she said it would be cost prohibitive. Mostly from the time required to knit both layers but also the cost of the yarn which is scary expensive depending on the quality you want. To be warm it has to be a very, very, very tight knit which means more time, more effort, more yarn and a higher quality yarn.

Leave a comment:

• hodgeman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Chez
    replied
    This is the one I've been after for a while

http://lrbushcraft.com/100-wool-boreal-shirt/

Leave a comment:

• pipercub
    replied
    I've been using Ibex stuff for years, the wool hoodie works best as a mid layer, combine with a vest or a breathable outer coat. They have online sales a couple times a year.

Leave a comment:

• mlshore
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AKBEE
    replied
    Good luck with your project- I hope it goes well. I wear wool hoodies from Triple Aught Designs (Praetorian) much of the time and when it is wet- I wear a Gore Tex shell over them. I love wool and love the Ibex wool products as well.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X