russian bear tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• russian bear tents

i posted this in the ak gear section as well, but didn't have any luck w/ replies. so i figured i'd try here as well. i'm looking for info from anybody who either has one of these makes of tent or is familiar w/ 'em, i.e. yes, my buddy has one and we used it for a hunt, etc. any info anybody may have would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search which goes back many years. I found no reference to the brand.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

What do you want to know?

I picked up one last year, the UP-5, I have not seen the Cuboid or Hexagon models. I love it, but do have some concerns about the durability long term since it is polyester fabric, but not thin and have a slight issue with the floor zipper that I haven't addressed with the company yet. Overall I think it is a great and versatile all around AK tent for car, ATV, Snowmachine trips, they aren't light weight. Comes with a bag of spare parts for the tent. Not as bomber as the Arctic Oven for extreme conditions.

Set up is easy with one person but you may need to stand on a milk crate or something to pop it open on soft or uneven ground, and it takes a good bit of strength to pop it. Takes a good amount of stake outs if you are in windy conditions because of the tent pole hinges, but have had it in 30 mph gusts and did well. Also had it out last winter in single digits and could keep it nice a toasty inside with very little condensation. Had a little more condensation last trip because we weren't running the stove much. Lots of nice features but the Door is Awesome, to be able to walk in and out without using the zippers all the time is really cool.

We went all in and got the large stove and insulated floor for winter. The windows are super nice on the stove, stove has a huge capacity, burns 4 plus hours, but lots of cheaper stove options out there, just are limited by the stove pipe size. The insulated floor works well, but I think the foam 2x2' garage tiles would work, but has nice features like flip back panels for ice fishing.

I knew it was a big gamble buying sight unseen but it has not disappointed, like a portable cabin for 2 people and a couple dogs.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was mostly just wanting to get feedback from folks regarding durability, material quality, condensation issues, etc., all of which you've provided. The hinged poles were also a concern of mine. It's a big chunk of change as you know so I don't want to go into this blind if I don't have to. Thanks again.

Comment

No problem.I looked around a lot to try to figure out what I would be gettting before buying mine. When comparing tent material, a lot of manufacturers give you no info on what material the tent is actually built out of which makes it hard to compare. For reference, the UP-5 tent fabric outer wall is equivalent to the floor used on the Cabela's Alaknak series (300 Poly Oxford) and the inner wall is 210 Poly Oxford, the Alaknak roof and single wall is 250. So it is a pretty durable fabric and stitching and finish looks high quality. I also have a Seek Outside Tipi that has a few repairs from dog damage but is much lighter silnylon, and has lasted 9 years so fully expect this to be a 10 year+ tent, hopefully longer, for my usage.
          Found this site helpful when comparing tent materials:https://www.intentsoutdoors.co.nz/bl...s-and-coatings

The hinged poles are unique, but make set up so quick. It is interesting only the lower joint hinges inward, and even if a few get blown in the tent doesn't collapse, it just gets less taught, don't want that on the stove pipe side though so that's the most important side to stake out if windy. I think the fabric and stakes would all rip out before the actual dome could ever collapse on you. After seeing the way it is put together, I don't have any concerns vs regular tent poles. Little hard to explain but can probably see what I'm talking about in some of the Youtube videos.

Sure you've seen them, but for others wondering about these tents there are lots of videos on Youtube, I like the Survival Russia guy. Russian Bear Market is the US importer but Bereg is the actual manufacturer, so that may bring up a few more results. They actually have some other cool things, like inflatable airboats, that I don't think are available in the US yet but look like they would fit AK well. No affiliation.

Comment

Crmcd79 asked me a couple questions of Seek Outside vs Bereg vs Artic Oven in a PM I just figured I'd answer here in case it helps someone else. Went through all these same comparisions when I bought mine. There is a Youtube video of some guys in Fairbanks setting up an Arctic Oven and Seek Outside Tipi at -40 which is worth a look, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNSTpRZjmWI
            Plenty of other videos on the Arctic Ovens also.

A little background. We got turned on to Tipi's by some friends that guide river trips in the Brooks Range. We bought a 12 Man tipi after our first trip, it was a game changer, but wasn't bought for winter camping. Floorless was awesome, can walk right into the tent soaking wet with raingear, muddy boots, dogs, whatever. That little stove could dry out gear so camping regardless of weather was easy. And the whole thing was light enough it was super easy to hike in a ways, or travel with. When weather got colder though, that little stove can go at most about an hour without adding wood, and condensation was bad if the stove wasn't going strong. Never tried it with the liners because felt they would crowd the stand-up headroom too much, and that is already limited with the center pole and the stove.

Was getting a snowmachine and wanted to do more winter camping so started looking for a two walled tent that was similar size to the Tipi. 12 Man tipi, the UP-5 and Arctic Oven 12x12 all have about the same interior room. The AO and Bereg are also somewhat free standing, where as the tipi requires good stakes, which can be a challenge in sugary snow and frozen ground. So it came down to the AO vs the UP-5, weight is similar between the two, 60-70lbs, without stoves.

Arctic Oven is proven in extreme environments, durable, Vapex fabric is supposedly better at avoiding condensation and locally made which are all big pros, but they are bulkier, have only a single door and window, and can be difficult to set up alone, and expensive at $2800.

The Bereg runs $1800 (still expensive), is easy to set up solo, has the one swing out door, has two clear windows so you can see out but not have a vent open, and two zip doors with screens (swing out door can attached to either door), and the floor can zip out so is a more versatile year around shelter. On the con side, polyester is probably less durable in the long run than the Vapex, and it's not locally made.

If you need a dedicated bomb proof winter shelter for camping in heavy winds, in terrain you can't choose a protected camp site, and tend to camp when you have a high chance of having to weather storm conditions, then I think the Arctic Oven is where it's at.

For me, I choose my weather windows for trips, plan to camp in areas with at least some wind protection and hopefully wood for the stove, and wanted a versatile shelter that was easy to set-up alone. The Bereg works well for my use. Still expensive compared to say the Cabelas Alaknak 12x12, $899, but it is still more versatile, double walled, and way easier to set up.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X