Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Louise Camp Ground closed over abuse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Louise Camp Ground closed over abuse.

Apparently with no camp ground host and abuse by campers the park is now closed. Too sad.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/cure...l8NsBXrZziQ8HA

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

A coworker went up there a few weeks ago, assessed the situation and turned around and left in disgust. Sad.

Comment

Sad. I wonder if the intended hosts are out of staters?
      -Tim

Comment

good,bad behavior finally has consequences

Comment

Originally posted by beachbunny View Post
          good,bad behavior finally has consequences
          The "BAD" behavior "resides" with the governments failing to perform its duties. This is classic early stage "Failed State". If it is a state employee's job to see that the state property is properly maintained and protected, the failure is directly on that department and the management of that department, and on up to the very top of state government. Blaming people for being scum, is classic government failure to assume proper responsibility. There are zero excuses........failure to perform by a department head should result in termination.
          ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

We used to have Park Rangers that monitored Discovery Campground and Captain Cook Park. The state decided 'campground hosts' were a good idea and we never see a Park Ranger anymore. The oversight there is very minimal these days. They collect the fees, and that seems to be about all. I have called and emailed my concerns about people camping and having fires in areas outside the campground, and haven't even gotten the courtesy of a response. There are permanent camps set up in the parking areas at the end of the road with fires burning right next to no camping and no fire signs. Nothing is done.
            Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post

The "BAD" behavior "resides" with the governments failing to perform its duties. This is classic early stage "Failed State". If it is a state employee's job to see that the state property is properly maintained and protected, the failure is directly on that department and the management of that department, and on up to the very top of state government. Blaming people for being scum, is classic government failure to assume proper responsibility. There are zero excuses........failure to perform by a department head should result in termination.
              We are probably not going to agree on this one. When I was a Scout Master we had a saying about camping; "Always leave the place better than you found it." I do not believe that the State should have to have police in place to tell someone that "trash" goes in the trash can. If there is no place to properly put your own trash, you take it home with you. If someone left the place in a mess, do the right thing and pick it up. Leave the place better than you found it.

Patriot Life Member NRA
              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Seriously? You're seriously saying that it's the government's fault that a bunch of sucky asshats repeatedly trashed a campground? The government should have to follow deplorable slobs around everywhere they go to ensure they don't trash the place? Did you type that with a straight face?

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                  Seriously? You're seriously saying that it's the government's fault that a bunch of sucky asshats repeatedly trashed a campground? The government should have to follow deplorable slobs around everywhere they go to ensure they don't trash the place? Did you type that with a straight face?
                  Well..........tell me exactly why that department exists......??? Really, "WHY"......????

It is their job to manage those properties. They "FAILED". If there was no hosts available, they should have closed the property "BEFORE" it was available to the public. What exactly is that departments purpose.......??? Maybe we need to start culling a lot of useless governments. We the tax payers hire and employ government to manage and protect our common property. They FAILED.

Which government department employs yourself......???

It is far past time for people to start being enraged at the true problem......Government failure.
                  ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                    We are probably not going to agree on this one. When I was a Scout Master we had a saying about camping; "Always leave the place better than you found it." I do not believe that the State should have to have police in place to tell someone that "trash" goes in the trash can. If there is no place to properly put your own trash, you take it home with you. If someone left the place in a mess, do the right thing and pick it up. Leave the place better than you found it.
                    I understand that.............sadly some people are stinky "dung". I can't change that. We employ people to manage and mitigate those scum peoples access to our common property. And insure it is well maintained. The government responsible "FAILED". We can't change lowlife scum human behavior........but we sure as hell, can hold the government department responsible for care and oversight of common property responsible. And "OUR" failure to do that is exactly why we live in the conditions we currently live........and it is going to be accelerating worse.

Comment

Fair point AGL. I don't disagree with you in that regard. I first read your comment as "we/people don't need to be responsible for our actions, and we should blame it on the government" (an all too pervasive attitude here in the "Great"land ). I'm certainly pro-oversight/enforcement, because, as is demonstrated over and over and over and over....people suck. And since we can't simply weed the sucky ones out and exterminate them, we need oversight and enforcement. In that regard you may be correct that the agency charged with oversight/enforcement failed. But to be fair should we examine that agency's ability to fully provide oversight/enforcement at all our campgrounds? (And how about trailheads which also get trashed and vehicles vandalized)? Are they adequately funded? Why do they rely exclusively on unpaid volunteers to "host" (babysit) at campgrounds? Why can't they pay for limited commission Rangers to provide oversight/enforcement at campgrounds 24/7....?
                      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

The Government "Knew" that Coronavirus-19 was going to impact near everything. Especially what is monitored by Government. They had "Massive" warning that campground hosts would be an issue. They knew in early February this was a pending problem. Management FAILED. Heads should roll, but we know they will not even be reprimanded.......more likely promoted.

I am likely one of the very-very few who likes our current Governor. But he has executed pathetic management oversight. He needs to spit'can many department heads.

Comment

The Government "Knew" that Coronavirus-19 was going to impact near everything. Especially what is monitored by Government. They had "Massive" warning that campground hosts would be an issue. They knew in early February this was a pending problem. Management FAILED.
                          What should they have done differently? Even now, what should they do differently? Why don't Alaskans want to volunteer to babysit at campgrounds, for free? Pandemic associated issues notwithstanding, should the agency be obligated to rely on unpaid volunteers from from Outside to keep local scumbags from trashing our campgrounds? Do you believe people should work for free, or should we pay people with enforcement authority to babysit at our campgrounds?

Comment

Stayed a night there mid-June, it wasn't that bad.....campground was packed, trash cans full but not overflowing (we packed our garbage out), toilets locked. Musta been some real hooligans came through since then....
                            " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
                              What should they have done differently? Even now, what should they do differently? Why don't Alaskans want to volunteer to babysit at campgrounds, for free? Pandemic associated issues notwithstanding, should the agency be obligated to rely on unpaid volunteers from from Outside to keep local scumbags from trashing our campgrounds? Do you believe people should work for free, or should we pay people with enforcement authority to babysit at our campgrounds?

This is why we have "Government"............This is what we pay for directly or indirectly. Your question has some foundation......"IF" there was no government specifically assigned to manage that segment of our common social system.

I come back to, it is folly to have government that is useless or sometimes worse then useless. If you want non-government people to jump'in and manage the campgrounds.........do away with government.......and sell or lease those campgrounds to private people or private enterprise.

it should be noted that in Hope, Alaska there is one government campground and three private campgrounds.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X