Qustion for Charter captains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qustion for Charter captains

My question is this. You have 6 people to take out. one is a group of 4 friends and a couple. You paid 375.00 each for a grand slam trip. You however have a problem. The guy that is with the couple is very seasick. You just reached the area where you want to fish and this guy is turning green and puking his guts out. Now what do you do?? The group of 4 paid 1500.00 to fish for the day and they sure dont want to go in now but the guy is miserable and should not have went on the trip. now what do you do? If i was in the group of 4 i would not be happy to spend that kind of money and not get to fish.

Thus the cunumdrum of running a "per seat" boat...most likely he's going to have to suck it up. To avoid this look for someone that only runs private or exclusinve trips, not per seat. Then it's one of your friends that's seassick and you guys make the call, watch him and laugh or have a little mercy... Onyl time I step in as a Capt is if it's a little kid, I can't watch a lil one be miserable. I'll wheel and deal with crew, find shelter, take some of them in, cut them a break on the day, but it' easy as I only run private trips.
    Life's too short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Comment

I've been out on the salt a total of 11 times every time out i was pukeing so bad it felt like my nuts were were trying to make their way out through my nose.
      Bout the nicest thing any of them capt'ns ever did for me was throw what i think was a horse blanket over my head to muffle the noise a lil bit.
      I don't think ya need to worry bout anybody turning the boat around just because theres a puke'er aboard, in fact im fairly sure most of them capt'ns concider it as a good source of entertainment.....

Comment

I was curious about what they would do. A few years back on my buddies boat there was a couple with us. the lady was 7.5 months pregnant. it was not rough out at all but her HUSBAND was turning green and puking his guts out. We ran him 14 miles back to shore dropped him off and went back out. She had a great day and her husband was waiting for us on the dock when we got back.

Comment

Use to have it happen all the time, have had guys shoving money in my pocket to take him in and I say hey pale it's not me you have to pay off😎 it's the rest of the clients.. The answer to that question from our operation is we will not run in unless it is a unanimous decision amongst the boat. Solution! And what has been working great so far is when booking , ask about the book the boat specials and privet trips and you may find there are deals to be had and then you will just have to deal with your wife screaming at you to take her back to town cause she is sick😎👍🏻 That being said our operation dose not fish or even try to fish rough weTher, you are fully refunded at dock or rolled to another day.

Comment

100% true story, I was on a charter out of Homer when the charter office calls the skipper to see if I was one of his clients. When the skipper confirmed I was on board, the office girl told him to let me know my wife was in labor. My buddy and I didn't know the other four clients, and the looks I got from them were accusatory at best. I honestly expected we would pull anchor and head in....but I was wrong. We stayed another hour so everyone got their limit, then headed in.

I made it back to Fairbanks in time

Comment

I would have asked if we could get Rock fish and Salmon too!

Comment

THIS is the hardest thing to deal with as a captain that i can think of.
                we typically fill the boat with a private group, but, there are those days when you have mixed parties. Never used to do it, but keeping the boat full helps the season go faster. we typically try to feel our clients out as to thier sea worthiness, when booking them with other peeps, fortunatly most of our clients are repeats, so it makes it a little easier. but there are always the ones you dont know. as Nemo said, its better NOT to fish those really rough days, or go into areas where the seas are calmer.I tend to get a little more cautious as the years go by, i have had 2 peeps end up in the hospital with IV drips going after some extremely prolonged projecting sessions!
                as far as KGp's original question, "grand slam trips" or in our case long range runs, we go strictly by the boat, unless we know the individuals, impossible to run for 3-4 hrs one way and have something like that happen!
                www.polebendersfishing.com

Comment

My wife says ok you have 3 parties of 2 today, they seemed eager to fish on the phone and don't really care what they catch just want to get a line wet, I say great!!! Sounds like a dream trip!! First 2 to the boat a mother and young son who have never seen the ocean before and have saved every last penny they had to come with us for trip of a life time , next 2 show up and there 2 no English speaking Koreans and we just smile and nod hand signal each other, there may even have been some Intureptive dance? Then the last 2 show up and there the town drunks super waisted already at 6 in the morning cause the bars here don't close tell 4 and they shut them down!!! Fighting , screaming , vomiting and crying.... I will never do it again..

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Nemo View Post
                    My wife says ok you have 3 parties of 2 today, they seemed eager to fish on the phone and don't really care what they catch just want to get a line wet, I say great!!! Sounds like a dream trip!! First 2 to the boat a mother and young son who have never seen the ocean before and have saved every last penny they had to come with us for trip of a life time , next 2 show up and there 2 no English speaking Koreans and we just smile and nod hand signal each other, there may even have been some Intureptive dance? Then the last 2 show up and there the town drunks super waisted already at 6 in the morning cause the bars here don't close tell 4 and they shut them down!!! Fighting , screaming , vomiting and crying.... I will never do it again..
                    Wow. Who had the most fun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

These are all great stories! I'm happy to report nothing like what has been described here has ever happened to me!

:shot:
                      Cliffhanger
                      http://www.farnorthpress.com/

Comment

90% of the time I can do in protected water what I can do in rough water. That took years of fishing to get good halibut spots that aren't in exposed areas, but they exist. Helps being on the W coast of POW where there is a pile of island to fish behind. That being said, I've never done a mixed group.
                        Alaska Wide Open Charters
                        www.alaskawideopen.com
                        907-965-0130

Comment

I keep fishing. I explain to people at the dock that it will be nasty out there and if they cant handle it they should consider not going. I'm there to catch fish, and if the people aren't responsible enough to know they get sick and don't take anything then that is on them.

Comment

There's no need to be miserable on an Alaska saltwater fishing trip. Plenty of good fishing to be had on inside waters of SE and no party boats.

Comment

I have had that problem many times before and I will modify the trip to some extent( if the the weather is really ought)- we can and do find some nicer fish in calm waters around Seward and PWS. Then if we have to head out into the crappy weather to catch a limit, we will. Truthfully I have not had great luck halibut fishing in crappy weather anyway. As far as fishing for lingcod and rockfish in bad weather, it is even more sickening and dangerous to try to drift and jig in rough weather and I often by pass those species and focus on halibut and salmon. We catch enough rockfish as salmon by catch that only the lings are left alone in the bad weather
                              with all that said, there is rough water and then there is ROUGH water. I have seen a number of pukers in 2-4 foot chop. For that there is no remedy.
                              www.graylightalaska.com
                              http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ga...arter-captains
                              (800)566-3912

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X