No announcement yet.

AK hospital system at risk of becoming overwhelmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone on this thread say that wearing a mask was 100% effective against the spread of Covid? Masks help with decreasing the spread, it's anyone's guess as to how much masks help, but the fact that they help is good enough for me.

Comment

I might be a little late to this party, but yes "someone" has said how effective masks are. Masks vs respiratory viruses has been a studied topic for many years. Prior to COVID, it was demonstrated that surgical masks offer up to 40% reduction in the spread of respiratory viruses, such as Influenza. An N95 mask offers up to 90% protection for the wearer (exhaust ports negate all protection the other direction).

A study published a few months ago looked at the transmission of respiratory droplets from someone talking through various masks. It was clearly demonstrated that some types of masks were actually worse than no mask, while others had some positive effect in reducing droplet spread. Nothing short of a P-100 mask was able to stop all respiratory droplet spread. In this study, it was found that single-layer knit fabrics, such as those t-shirts that are cut into an oval shape with a couple ear slots, actually increased the spread. The same was found with lightweight neck gaiters, which are often made of Spandex or similar stretch fabrics. These two types of masks, when stretched over the face, have very large holes between the threads of the fabric (hold one up to the light and stretch it a little bit). When the small droplets in your expired breath hit the fabric, it initially captures some of it, but as the fabric dampens, the air moving through the fabric as you talk and breathe is actually picking up smaller droplets of fluid and propelling them further. So, when you wear no mask, those droplets may fall to the ground within about 6 feet (in still, warm air), but with these single layer face coverings, the smaller droplets are lighter and hanging in the air longer and traveling further. A guy with a single layer t-shirt cutout stretched over his face is leaving an airborne moisture trail behind him that may spread over 20 feet and hang in the air for several minutes.

That said, there was a reduction in respiratory droplets with certified triple-layer surgical masks (which is exactly what they were designed for) as well as a similar reduction for double and triple layer woven fabric masks (homemade style with good quality woven fabrics and a snug fit around the face). As anyone could predict, there was a notable reduction with an N95 that had the exhaust ports sealed shut (so you exhale through the mask material, not the ports), however, even the N95 failed to stop all transmission of respiratory droplets.

Finally, a Danish study was just published in a medical journal a few days ago that showed no statistical different between "always masked in public" and "never masked in public" control groups. The "never masked" group tested positive for COVID less than one-half of one percent more than the masked group.

Couple this with the huge numbers of healthcare workers who contracting COVID-19 while they are wearing surgical masks over N-95 masks with face shields, gloves, and gowns, and you should be able to understand that we cannot stop this disease by having the general public wear hankies on their faces.

What I'm personally seeing more and more of is the general public wandering about with their mask on while completely ignoring the more important hygiene aspects of social distancing and hand washing. The mask does NOT replace those actions. It's just another layer of defense. So, wear a PROPER mask when you visit indoor public areas, as it will slightly reduce the amount of spit you leave behind. Wash your hands before AND after entering every store. And keep distance from everyone else while you're there. Don't lean on the checkout counter. Don't touch anything unless you're going to buy it. Keep your social circles small. Those who advocate only for masks are ignoring all of these other things, which are much more important.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

‘It’s bad. It’s really bad’: Anchorage nurses under pressure as COVID-19 pushes busy hospitals to the brink

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anch...-to-the-brink/
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

State puts out a hiring call for nurses, contact tracers, data analysts to help with Alaska’s COVID-19 response:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...d-19-response/

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by hoose35 View Post
            <br/><br/>Masks will not stop Covid, even if everyone wore one. Complete isolation is the only thing that will keep a person from being at risk of getting it. I'm not going to say that masks are useless, I'm sure they slow the spread, but I guarantee you there's people wearing masks that have passed it on to others. It's foolish to think it's going to just vanish if everyone wears a mask. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Probably because they think that wearing a mask you still have to stay 6' apart. I do the mask and the 6'.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I watch the hospital dashboard. The hospitalization rate appears to be dropping dramatically.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...2a6046dd60bf82
              Wasilla Real Estate News
              www.valleymarket.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X