Mitigation, is it working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

Cuomo put covid positive people into old folks homes and killed a lot of senior citizens.

Agreed. But he got an award for the press conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeser View Post
      Interesting study by AK Dept of Public Health on mask mandates and how transmission rates dropped 60%. It also stated that 92% wear masks, a significant increase since mid-year.

Not that our resident Typhoid Mary wannabes and those who encourage that behavior care. They are still fixated on making sure they contribute to the death and misery of as many Americans as possible.
      Do you have pointer to that study?

Others that I have seen find that there is little or no difference in transmission when comparing high compliance mask societies to those with no mandates at all and low mask useage, as in comparing entire states or countries. Alaska may have been able to do better, as it did not have a lot of in and out traffic, what with somewhat closed borders.

Comment

There's a story on in on the ADN website or you can go directly to the ADPH website.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeser View Post
          There's a story on in on the ADN website or you can go directly to the ADPH website.
          https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2021...-report-finds/
          Emergency orders in Anchorage were likely responsible for major drops in daily COVID-19 case counts, according to a new report released this week by the Alaska Division of Public Health.

The report found that while a June mask mandate was responsible for bringing case counts down in Anchorage, “an even greater drop in transmission” occurred after two additional emergency orders were implemented.

http://www.epi.alaska.gov/bulletins/docs/rr2021_01.pdf
          Executive Summary: This report summarizes changes in the COVID-19 epidemic in Anchorage following Emergency Orders (EOs) enacted to reduce virus transmission and thus prevent excess severe illnesses and deaths. Following an EO to wear facial covering (masks) in most public locations, self-reported mask use increased, and the growth of the epidemic slowed. After another EO that restricted the number of persons allowed in public venues and the subsequent closure of those venues, daily case counts declined and maintained a declining pattern while these EOs were in effect. The data presented here indicate that the local EOs, a mask mandate, and targeted restrictions on gathering locations in Anchorage appear to have contributed to decreasing SARS-CoV-2 transmission rates.

Comment

Another angle to consider: https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-01-...ng-cancer.html
            Note to self: Don't argue with idiots, it just beings you down to their level where they overwhelm you with their more extensive experience in being an idiot.... and, you can't fix stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by NorcalBob View Post

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2021...-report-finds/
              Emergency orders in Anchorage were likely responsible for major drops in daily COVID-19 case counts, according to a new report released this week by the Alaska Division of Public Health.

The report found that while a June mask mandate was responsible for bringing case counts down in Anchorage, “an even greater drop in transmission” occurred after two additional emergency orders were implemented.

http://www.epi.alaska.gov/bulletins/docs/rr2021_01.pdf
              Executive Summary: This report summarizes changes in the COVID-19 epidemic in Anchorage following Emergency Orders (EOs) enacted to reduce virus transmission and thus prevent excess severe illnesses and deaths. Following an EO to wear facial covering (masks) in most public locations, self-reported mask use increased, and the growth of the epidemic slowed. After another EO that restricted the number of persons allowed in public venues and the subsequent closure of those venues, daily case counts declined and maintained a declining pattern while these EOs were in effect. The data presented here indicate that the local EOs, a mask mandate, and targeted restrictions on gathering locations in Anchorage appear to have contributed to decreasing SARS-CoV-2 transmission rates.
              While this study didn't include the December lock down on Anchorage restaurants and other places, it's being used to justify it. If you look at the graph of Anchorage's new cases you can see that the number of new cases per day peaked several weeks before the lock downs in August and December and were heading down when the lock downs went into effect. To me, this suggests that something other than closing restaurants affects the new case rate of covid.

The graph also shows that we've been very much on a downward path and still are. Between that and the ramping up of vaccinations, I think we may be heading towards life as it was before covid by summer. I don't think it will ever be quite the same and I believe covid is not going away completely but I do think we can go back to getting on with our lives without most of the these restrictions.

Comment

More misinformation from the usual sources.
                Natural News has a "Tin Foil Hat" Conspiracy Rating, a "Quackery" Pseudo-Science Rating, and a "Very Low" Factual Reporting Rating.
                Your posts are as funny as fecal matter!!!
                https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/natural-news-radio/
                CONSPIRACY-PSEUDOSCIENCE

Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
                • Overall, we rate Natural News Radio an extreme right biased Tin-Foil Hat Conspiracy website that also publishes pseudoscience. This source is associated with Natural News, which is one of the most discredited sources on the internet.

Originally posted by akgriz View Post

Comment

Read the ADPH study. They disagree with your conclusions.

Originally posted by NRick View Post

While this study didn't include the December lock down on Anchorage restaurants and other places, it's being used to justify it. If you look at the graph of Anchorage's new cases you can see that the number of new cases per day peaked several weeks before the lock downs in August and December and were heading down when the lock downs went into effect. To me, this suggests that something other than closing restaurants affects the new case rate of covid.

The graph also shows that we've been very much on a downward path and still are. Between that and the ramping up of vaccinations, I think we may be heading towards life as it was before covid by summer. I don't think it will ever be quite the same and I believe covid is not going away completely but I do think we can go back to getting on with our lives without most of the these restrictions.

Last edited by NorcalBob; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by NorcalBob View Post
                    Read the ADPH study. They disagree with your conclusions.

I did read the study and, yes, they have a different conclusion. However, their conclusion is based on transmission rate, which in the absence of rigorous contact tracing (that we are not doing) you are making an educated guess as to what that is. I'm looking at daily new cases, which I think is a more concrete number since Alaska is near the top in the nation on per capita testing. If you look at Figure 2 in that report you will see what I'm talking about. Daily new cases start declining before these mandates are issued.

Comment

Good, I'm glad you read the ADPH report. Lotsa good info in it. Yes, you are correct in that daily new cases (as opposed to RT, transmission rate, which is the metric ADPH used) reached it's peak and started a decline before the LAST EO was issued (closing indoor venues). Lotsa good reasons to use RT as your evaluation metric, as opposed to daily new cases, due to the peak/valley nature of COVID infection cycles that have been observed. However, please remember that EO's were issued before that peak was reached and that is likely what caused the downturn to start. The last EO issued likely helped keep that downward trend going strong (which was the purpose of all of the EO's).
                      Epidemiology studies (like the ADPH study) show a clear correlation of masks and other restrictions actually doing what they're supposed to do (reduce infection transmission). There's a good reason every country in the world uses them, and why they were implemented in AK. Here is an interesting one from the state of Kansas worth reading.
                      https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33237889/

Originally posted by NRick View Post

I did read the study and, yes, they have a different conclusion. However, their conclusion is based on transmission rate, which in the absence of rigorous contact tracing (that we are not doing) you are making an educated guess as to what that is. I'm looking at daily new cases, which I think is a more concrete number since Alaska is near the top in the nation on per capita testing. If you look at Figure 2 in that report you will see what I'm talking about. Daily new cases start declining before these mandates are issued.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X