No announcement yet.

First of Many to Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homework: Find a paper, cloth, handkerchief, fiber disposable mask that claims in writing it WILL prevent COVID 19 or any other pathogen printed on the package. Good luck Don Quixote.

Comment

It's attitudes like these last three that will keep this virus active for a long, long time.

If you don't value the health of yourself, or your loved ones, at least respect that of others.

Comment

As we can see, we are firmly entrenched in the "it's all about ME, I'll do whatever I want" era. Back in the day (geez I'm old!) no one would have hesitated to wear a mask once we learned how it would protect ourselves, our family, our neighbors, our coworkers, etc. We cared about those around us. These days being selfish and showing little to no concern about those around you is the norm.

We talk about it quite often on this forum regarding how some selfishly treat our natural resources and how some conduct themselves selfishly while enjoying those resources. Yet those who rip those selfish types the most seem to be the same ones who are too selfish and self-centered to wear something as simple as a mask.

BTW, the virus doesn't float about on it's on. It needs transport. Like a water or dust particle. And, as recent studies have clearly shown, something as simple as 2 layers of t-shirt material does a great job of stopping those particles. So all of you who spout the fake "viruses are too small to be stopped by a mask" drivel, please stop. You're only embarrassing yourself.

Comment

I've worked in hazardous environments for over 20+ years.<br/>If I hadn't worn a proper respirator half as much as I have I'd have been dead years and years ago.<br/>I have thousands of hours wearing respirators and been on supplied air systems.<br/>One thing I do know is that I've never worn a dust mask in these situations nor have I been allowed by my companies safety experts( certified safety and/or certified industrial hygienists) to do so.<br/>I also know that each and every year my company pays for me to get fit tested by a professional in occupational health and safety.<br/>This fit test ensure the brand and size of mask I'm going to use fits me properly and provides a good seal to my face.<br/>I have also been trained on proper use,dissasembly, cleaning and sanitizing of this equipment.<br/>I'm no expert but I'm pretty familiar with the subject.<br/>I guarantee you they never approved me to wear a bandana, dust mask, n95 mask, surgical mask, etc.to keep lead dust out of my lungs whilst cleaning tanks in the lead mine full of lead.<br/>These lead particles were much bigger that this Corona virus.<br/>In fact walking anywhere in that mine mill required a certified respirator and fit testing as well as a respiratory medical preformed my a doctor.<br/>Required of us because of the airborne dust that is much larger than a Corona virus particle.<br/>We had to wear p100 hepa cartridges.<br/>I've been in many other nasty spots wearing this equipment as well.<br/>Doctors and nurses who wear n95 and better masks get fit tested in them.<br/>How many of you mask fans have been fit tested in your mask? It a serious and legitimate question!<br/>What particle size does your cloth mask or bandana stop?<br/>My mom was a nurse for ~35 years.<br/>I asked her if Corona could pass through a cloth mask.<br/>She said yes. She did say it would limit droplets of saliva spreading if an infected person coughed or sneezed in their mask.<br/>But who sneezes in their mask? In the rare occurance I would take mine off and sneeze in a tissue or my upper sleeve, but is everyone as cautious?<br/>Also your mask must be washed or sanitized every few hours or replaced.<br/>So while it's a proven fact that social distancing and hand washing are effective I'm not convinced that masks are all that effective at stopping a virus.<br/>Especially all the reused homemade ones or The bandanas and other makeshift masks I see people using.<br/>So for the mask supporters are you wearing an n95 or better mask?<br/>Are you trained in using/donning and doffing this mask?<br/>Are you fit tested in it?<br/>Do you sanitize/wash/replace it every few hours?<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
            I've worked in hazardous environments for over 20+ years...
            Most of us can produce a similar paragraph of bonafides. Lots of us have worked in hazardous atmosphere environments or clean rooms. Lots of us work in hospital emergency rooms, or have in the past. Lots of us are personally acquainted with nurses currently working in COVID wards at our hospitals.... So what? The fact remains that in addition to hand washing / surface sanitizing, and maintaining spacial distance, wearing a cloth mask in public will reduce the transmission of the virus better than not wearing a cloth mask. Of course the better the fit/seal; the greater the efficiency of the design/construction/material; the more often it's laundered or replaced; the more highly trained/skilled the wearer....are all pluses, but the fact remains that even a poorly fitted cloth mask is better than no cloth mask. What's your motive in arguing against it; do you believe convincing people to not wear a mask is somehow to all our benefit? Earlier in this thread you seemed to be taking the position that SARS-CoV-2 is nothing to worry about, with comments such as "just because they bring it here doesn't mean it will spread". Now you seem to be arguing that it spreads so easily that a cloth mask won't stop it, so there's no point in wearing one... So I ask again, what's your motive? And when we're accosted in the grocery store by some insecure, selfish, unmasked RWNJ who screams at us and coughs in our face with intent of spreading infection, because s/he has been brainwashed into believing this is just a big political conspiracy rather than a public health emergency, why should we not be able to apply the same 'stand your ground' defense as we would if said nut job was brandishing a knife or gun?
            Last edited by iofthetaiga; 1 week ago.
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

I think that many people feel that they can do as they please as long as they wash their hands and put their bandana over their face that they are safe from covid19.<br/>That those surgical masks made on the floor of a sweat shop in India will allow them to go into public and be protected.<br/>The articles I read keep saying you need a combination of social distancing, hand washing/sanitizing, and a mask.<br/>In my opinion the first two are much more effective than a mask.<br/>And that masks give people a false sense of security.<br/>If you have to sit next to someone on an airplane your mask isn't going to keep you safe from Covid19 if the guy next to you is infected and starts coughing.<br/>It's probably best you avoid the airplane all together. But people think that since they have a bandana or other cheap homemade mask that makes it ok.<br/>Another funny one is the guys with big burly beards wearing masks.<br/>Like the covid19 virus is going to be stopped by you beard!lol<br/>Your beard is actually preventing a good seal between your mask and your face making you much more susceptible.<br/>The company I work for has crews that are sanitizing against the Covid19 virus.<br/>They use industrial sanitizing solutions<br/>They wear Tyvek suits, nitrile gloves, and Full Face Respirators.<br/>They do not wear a simple cloth mask to protect themselves nor would the company allow it.<br/>Masks also pose their own health problems aka low oxygen levels inside the masks. But that's another topic in itself.<br/>I'm not saying anyone shouldn't wear a mask.<br/>Just that people who think hey it's ok to socialize or travel via airplane, or whatever because I'm wearing a mask are giving themselves a false sense of security!<br/><br/><br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

Every time that we are told about wearing masks we are also told that they ARE NOT a replacement for social distancing. If anyone has any experience whatsoever with personal protective equipment they know it is the last line of defense against the hazard. I don't know why masks became a political issue, they are inanimate objects and wearing them certainly isn't a sign of your party affiliation or political leanings. I don't need a government official to tell me to wear PPE, I can figure that out for myself and I wear mine when it's appropriate. I also know how to properly don and doff a face mask including washing/sanitizing my hands before and after donning and doffing and NOT touching it while wearing it. I also know that my mask a N95 as the experts tell us only offers limited protection and it only may, might, could, possibly, can protect me, it does not offer ironclad protection that is why social distancing is ALWAYS mentioned when the wearing of masks is talked about the experts. When properly worn and not touched cloth face masks may offer some level of protection and they may offer some level of additional risk. When people wearing masks touch their mask they are defeating the purpose of wearing the mask to begin with, many people touch their mask more often than they would otherwise touch their face since they aren't conditioned to wearing a mask. You see it everywhere you go in public, you see it on the news, you see it from the very experts telling us that a mask mandate is needed. There are plenty of contradictory studies that saw what masks can and can't do, there are plenty of contradictory studies that show what mask mandates can and can't do, personally I'm not going to put my health at risk over a homemade face covering I will wear a N95 when and where it is appropriate.

I would like to think that we can all be adults about this and have rational discussions, but unfortunately if history is any kind of indicator that is too much to ask of some. Wash your hands, stay away from people, wash your hands, don't touch your face, wash your hands, stay home if you are sick, wash your hands, wear a mask if you want or wear it where you want just know that a mask isn't a replacement for social distancing.
                I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

<br/><br/>
                  Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
                  Every time that we are told about wearing masks we are also told that they ARE NOT a replacement for social distancing. If anyone has any experience whatsoever with personal protective equipment they know it is the last line of defense against the hazard. I don't know why masks became a political issue, they are inanimate objects and wearing them certainly isn't a sign of your party affiliation or political leanings. I don't need a government official to tell me to wear PPE, I can figure that out for myself and I wear mine when it's appropriate. I also know how to properly don and doff a face mask including washing/sanitizing my hands before and after donning and doffing and NOT touching it while wearing it. I also know that my mask a N95 as the experts tell us only offers limited protection and it only may, might, could, possibly, can protect me, it does not offer ironclad protection that is why social distancing is ALWAYS mentioned when the wearing of masks is talked about the experts. When properly worn and not touched cloth face masks may offer some level of protection and they may offer some level of additional risk. When people wearing masks touch their mask they are defeating the purpose of wearing the mask to begin with, many people touch their mask more often than they would otherwise touch their face since they aren't conditioned to wearing a mask. You see it everywhere you go in public, you see it on the news, you see it from the very experts telling us that a mask mandate is needed. There are plenty of contradictory studies that saw what masks can and can't do, there are plenty of contradictory studies that show what mask mandates can and can't do, personally I'm not going to put my health at risk over a homemade face covering I will wear a N95 when and where it is appropriate.<br/><br/>I would like to think that we can all be adults about this and have rational discussions, but unfortunately if history is any kind of indicator that is too much to ask of some. Wash your hands, stay away from people, wash your hands, don't touch your face, wash your hands, stay home if you are sick, wash your hands, wear a mask if you want or wear it where you want just know that a mask isn't a replacement for social distancing.
                  <br/><br/>Well said thank you!<br/>Your right that mask doesn't replace social distancing and hand washing which it was I was saying previously.<br/>I think we are mostly on the same page with this one.<br/>I do find it interesting all the varied masks I see people wearing out there.<br/>Bandanas, crown royal bags, old pillowcases, etc. etc.<br/>Some of those can't really be doing much.<br/>But technically they are a mask!<br/>My mom made me one with moose on it with material left over from quilting projects.<br/>It is double layered and has a slot to add more layers.<br/>It has elastic ear loops and an adjustable nose wire.<br/>Not sure it rates as an N95 but I bet it's close.<br/>And it's washable!<br/><br/>Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

ever think maybe the masks are to help you not touch your nose/mouth. does it really piss you off that much that some communities want you to wear a mask.
                    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Any body take commercial air transport lately? Curious how the mask thing works? Do they supply masks?
                      -Tim

Comment

I flew ak airlines a few weeks ago and had to wear masks on the plane. They had some there if you didnt have one. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
                        I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                        but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X