Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First of Many to Come

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
    I won't make the claim that these figures are totally accurate, but if they are even close, is this any reason to totally disembowel the economy?
    Fact check: It's misleading to say COVID-19 survival rate is 98% https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/3019503001/

    Johns Hopkins Mortality Analysis https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

    Comment


    • #17
      It was recently brought to light by Dr. Birx of the White House that the death rates reported could be inflated by as much as 25%. With that in mind then, how can the mortality rates ever be accurately assessed? Regardless, I personally believe that panic is never a good thing. So I'll say again, with such a high survival rate all over the globe, is ruining the economy worth it? What will be the total damage done in the long run if the economy totally collapses?
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
        ...I personally believe that panic is never a good thing.
        Suggest perhaps you take the above ideology, and apply it to the below fear mongering.

        What will be the total damage done in the long run if the economy totally collapses?
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

        Comment


        • #19
          "This is the fifth nonresident seafood worker to test positive for the virus." https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...ounced-sunday/

          Apparently they are just shipping up people with covid now. You would think it would be in the best interest of these fish processors to make sure the people they ship up here are not bringing covid with them and exposing all of their coworkers and who knows who else along the way.
          I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

          Comment


          • #20

            Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
            Suggest perhaps you take the above ideology, and apply it to the below fear mongering.
            Fear mongering? Not me. Just relaying what I've heard a number of economist say. Besides, as I'm sure you're aware, I've been the one trying to get across that things aren't as bad as the gov. makes them out to be. Oh and btw....

            Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
            Even with the quarantine in Seattle and isolating away from the town...get ready the flood gates haven't even opened yet!
            That's what fear mongering looks like. And notice my reply...
            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
              That's what fear mongering looks like. And notice my reply...
              Sorry for scaring you, that wasn't my intention. What did we have 3-4 outside fish processors test positive out of the 8 positive tests statewide over the weekend? Nothing to see here folks, look away, we don't want to frighten anyone.
              I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post

                Sorry for scaring you, that wasn't my intention.
                Didn't scare me in the least. Unlike some folks, I don't live my life in fear over something that "might" happen.
                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

                Comment


                • #23
                  As mentioned, COVID19 test's have a 30-60% chance of a false positive If you had a flu shot or have been sick from the yearly cold or flu. That sore throat you get before the cold/flu symptoms set in is most likely a corona strain. Even with the yearly flu shot/vaccine, 50-60 thousand Americans still die from the common flu yearly. This current "pandemic" is just another flu. If your at risk regarding the normal flu, you're at risk with COVID19. Be safe, be responsible, but don't live in fear.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Wait, What?

                    https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-sie...tient-decision

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                      Didn't scare me in the least. Unlike some folks, I don't live my life in fear over something that "might" happen.
                      Well, I'm glad to hear that, there are many people out there who are scared silly over this. Many are pretending like nothing is happening or downplaying the risks, many others are over-blowing the whole issue. I tend to think that accurate information cuts the edge off of both ends of the fear factor. Knowing that we as a state have done a very good job at keeping our numbers down has been good, but we aren't through this pandemic yet and when up to half of the tests over the weekend were from outsiders coming here, that is a problem and it should be addressed. The fish processors who are bringing these people up are not doing a good enough job and if they don't care to protect their employees, what makes you think they care about the communities their employees are going to?
                      I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Just because someone made it here with Covid19 doesn't mean they will spread it here.
                        There's a lot of slope workers here who did their required 2 week quarantine in Anchorage.
                        Other than that first case, which came out before quarantine was required, there hasn't been another one.
                        Why is that?
                        If these cannery workers come up and go straight into a proper two week quarantine I have no problem with that.
                        They'll test them and since they were in quarantine they will not be infecting the entire community.
                        Your making some pretty big assumptions when you say they'll come up and immediately be wondering around the towns.

                        "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

                        "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                          Just because someone made it here with Covid19 doesn't mean they will spread it here.
                          There's a lot of slope workers here who did their required 2 week quarantine in Anchorage.
                          Other than that first case, which came out before quarantine was required, there hasn't been another one.
                          Why is that?
                          If these cannery workers come up and go straight into a proper two week quarantine I have no problem with that.
                          They'll test them and since they were in quarantine they will not be infecting the entire community.
                          Your making some pretty big assumptions when you say they'll come up and immediately be wondering around the towns.
                          Sure seems like the oil industry has taken this and their impact on the people of Alaska in a serious manner, can you say the same for the fishing industry? You live in Kasilof, so you know what it's like having a fishery in your town right. Any chance they are going to keep the fish processors from mixing with the community? Ever been to any fishing village anywhere besides Kasilof? The fish processing is a part of the village, not like Kasilof where it is centralized away from the spread out "town". I sure hope I'm wrong, but this isn't a good start to the season. Just look at where the rural flareups are for covid in the lower 48, meat processing plants. It's New York City, a few other big cities, and meat processing plants. Just for the record, fish processing plants are meat processing plants...we have them all over Alaska and they are a central part of many of our communities.

                          I'm not fear mongering just explaining the facts. Hopefully all of the fish processing employees who come from all over the world aren't covid positive and don't spread the disease...but hope isn't a plan. The fact that following a two week quarantine a worker in Dillingham tested positive tells us what we need to know about the current fisheries related quarantine process...it doesn't work.
                          I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

                          Comment


                          • #28


                            Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post

                            Sure seems like the oil industry has taken this and their impact on the people of Alaska in a serious manner, can you say the same for the fishing industry? You live in Kasilof, so you know what it's like having a fishery in your town right. Any chance they are going to keep the fish processors from mixing with the community? Ever been to any fishing village anywhere besides Kasilof? The fish processing is a part of the village, not like Kasilof where it is centralized away from the spread out "town". I sure hope I'm wrong, but this isn't a good start to the season. Just look at where the rural flareups are for covid in the lower 48, meat processing plants. It's New York City, a few other big cities, and meat processing plants. Just for the record, fish processing plants are meat processing plants...we have them all over Alaska and they are a central part of many of our communities.

                            I'm not fear mongering just explaining the facts. Hopefully all of the fish processing employees who come from all over the world aren't covid positive and don't spread the disease...but hope isn't a plan. The fact that following a two week quarantine a worker in Dillingham tested positive tells us what we need to know about the current fisheries related quarantine process...it doesn't work.
                            Ok first off I moved from Kasilof many years ago.
                            But I've been on the forum since I lived there.
                            I'm in the Soldotna area now which is pretty close.
                            Though Kenai has more cannery workers then Kasilof does.
                            Be aware there are many resident cannery workers and fishermen here. High school and college kids to name a few groups commonly hired.
                            I haven't been in the fishing industry since 1999 so I've got no clue what they have going on.
                            But while I will say the oil industry is doing a good job I can't say the canneries and the fishing industry are doing any less.
                            To work in Prudhoe bay requires nonresidents to do two weeks of quarantine in Anchorage with twice daily temperatures logged.
                            Then you get show your quarantine logs and get asked a few questions (been in contact with a positive person or one showing symptoms, been social distancing,etc.) before getting your covid card which allows you to fly north.
                            If canneries are doing something similar then how do we explain the differences in numbers of cases of Covid19 in the non resident work force?
                            Are cannery workers more prone to lying about their contact with a person who had it?
                            Are they not good at social distancing?
                            Seriously I wonder what it is?

                            Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

                            "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

                            "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Chris,

                              It looks like there are a few options for the seafood workers quarantine.
                              Option 1: Pre-Travel Quarantine – Workers will observe a 14-day monitored quarantine period outside of Alaska and receive a PCR test within 48 hours prior to beginning travel to Alaska.
                              Option 2: Mid-Travel Quarantine; Workers will travel to Alaska and observe a 14-day monitored quarantine period in temporary lodging in a large community that has a General Acute Care or Critical Access Hospital (i.e., Anchorage or Juneau) and receive a PCR test within 48 hours prior to beginning onward travel to their final destination community.
                              Option 3: Post-Travel Quarantine: Workers will travel to their final destination community in Alaska, and will be screened (see Section V) and receive a PCR test upon arrival at their destination community.
                              https://covid19.alaska.gov/wp-conten...ppendix-01.pdf
                              There are more details for each option in the link.

                              Two more nonresident seafood workers tested positive on today's report, they now have their own recording section for nonresidents. Two out of five positive tests in Alaska today are from outside the state. From the sounds of it we will be opening the state up on Friday, hope everyone is ready!
                              I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                In the last week there have been 8 in state positive tests and 7 from seafood workers coming from out of state. In the last two days there have been 3 in state positives and 4 from seafood workers coming from out of state. Look for both numbers to start rising, the number of seafood workers infected with covid from out of state is really not trending well.
                                I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

                                Comment

                                Footer Adsense

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X