Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions from the UK

Hi All

I'm coming to Anchorage on 20th June 2022 and have hired an RV for 17 days. My questions are quite simple: How busy will the RV sites be and is it necessary for me to pre book the sites before I travel?

I would prefer to book sites one or two days ahead as this will give me flexibility to travel around.

Thanks

Steve

Originally posted by steveuk12 View Post
    Hi All

I'm coming to Anchorage on 20th June 2022 and have hired an RV for 17 days. My questions are quite simple: How busy will the RV sites be and is it necessary for me to pre book the sites before I travel?

I would prefer to book sites one or two days ahead as this will give me flexibility to travel around.

Thanks

Steve
    It all depends on where you’re going and what you want from the sites (water, power, sewer). Definitely busy that time of year, especially around July 4th. Probably best to make the reservations where they are available.

Comment

i have to agree with the above. The 4th of July weekend does get very busy and having a reservation eliminates frustration.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I don't think there are many Private RV operations in Alaska. Most that I am aware of are operated by and managed by State of Alaska. I suspect many are booked solid. Would be a great business to get into. The "Good News" is that it seems there is little enforcement of people just parking anyplace. It seems like on the Kenai Peninsula, if you can get "most" of the RV off the road.....that seems acceptable, even if not legal. They even park in peoples driveways. I have found them parked in my driveway.
        ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

Lots of private RV sites in Alaska!! It is good to book ahead if possible. Espically around weekends and 4th of July. Weekdays you can usually find sites open (but may not have hookups) You don't need to be at a dedicated campsite in most places. Lots of pullouts/gravel pits you can Dry camp at. Getting a RV with an onboard generator is a big plus and will allow you a lot of freedom when you are traveling. Lots of dump sites with water most everywhere. I usually tell people to avoid a hard fixed schedule. Weather dictates a lot of what we do here and due to the number of mountain ranges a 6 hour drive can change 4 days of rain to 4 days of sunshine!! We still have a lot less people coming into the state due to covid, I would get a RV that I could dry camp in for at least 3 days before needing to dump tanks and get water and only reserve sites if I had other things planned (fishing trip, flight, boat trip, weekend event). Get the MILEPOST book. It is one of the best travel tools ever for Alaska. DENNY

Comment

Originally posted by boneguy View Post
            Lots of private RV sites in Alaska!! It is good to book ahead if possible. Espically around weekends and 4th of July. Weekdays you can usually find sites open (but may not have hookups) You don't need to be at a dedicated campsite in most places. Lots of pullouts/gravel pits you can Dry camp at. DENNY
            But is it "LEGAL".......??? We have a big gravel pit on the Hope Road.......however it is designated by the "KENAI PENINSULA BOROUGH" as the the designated place for us to discharge firearms. It is also utilized by different Law Enforcement Agencies.
            ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

Lots of RV parks and campgrounds in AK. Valdez where I live has six just by itself plus one city operated.

Top 100 RV Parks in Alaska - Alaska Campground & RV Park Reviews (campgroundreviews.com)
              RV Parks in Alaska | Alaska Campgrounds | Good Sam Club
              Travel Alaska - Campgrounds & RV Parks

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

[QUOTE=AGL4now;n2777025]

But is it "LEGAL".......??? We have a big gravel pit on the Hope Road.......however it is designated by the "KENAI PENINSULA BOROUGH" as the the designated place for us to discharge firearms. It is also utilized by different Law Enforcement Agencies.

Yes it is! That is why I recommended it. https://www.boondockersbible.com/kno...st-area-rules /
                Denny
                Last edited by boneguy; 1 week ago.

Comment

Park at Walmart like all the other tourists that want to see the real Alaska.
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Greetings SteveUK,

I’m an RV owner and can offer some insight. Spend $20 for the Milepost book, it offers tons of information about dump stations, campgrounds, petrol, and activities in each area you are likely to visit. Decide if you want/need “hookup” sites with amenities like electricity, water, septic. It’s nice being flexible with your schedule because weather changes quickly here, and while it might be pouring rain in Seward, it can be 75 degrees in Fairbanks.
                    I agree with others that Denali Park will be busy during your visit, it would be wise to reserve well in advance. What kinds of activities are you hoping to do while in Alaska? I’ve planned many a itinerary for visiting family, so I’m happy to offer suggestions for you to check out. Others on the forum will chime in too if you ask.
                    Good luck in your adventure plans!

Comment

Advance reservations are the only way n Denal (inside the Park) all summer, and in Seward over the July 4 time. Most anywhere else is a day or two ahead, except if they have a big Caravan stopping.

Weirather is an issue. If the coastal weather is nice when you arrive, go there first. If not, go elsewhere and take a chance on seeing the coast areas last.

The Gov't parks tend to be full on the weekends, the private ones not so much. Gov't parks usually have no hook-ups, just a place to park, while the private ones have hook-ups, and sometimes showers and laundry.

Have fun on the trip.

Comment

Hi All

Many thanks for all of the advice. I will buy a Milepost to take with me. We are intending to drive from Anchorage north to Denali, then to Fairbanks and down to Valdez before returning to Anchorage via the Glen Hwy as it appears that the ferry to Whittier won't be running to coincide with our dates.

Any suggestions about where to stop on route and things to look out for would be much appreciated.

thanks

Steve

Comment

The Mile Post will give you "places of interest" as you progress along your travels. It is a really well thought out guide.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by steveuk12 View Post
                            Hi All

Many thanks for all of the advice. I will buy a Milepost to take with me. We are intending to drive from Anchorage north to Denali, then to Fairbanks and down to Valdez before returning to Anchorage via the Glen Hwy as it appears that the ferry to Whittier won't be running to coincide with our dates.

Any suggestions about where to stop on route and things to look out for would be much appreciated.

thanks

Steve
                            Stop in Talkeetna on your way up to Denali. Awesome little town with flightseeing tours and jet boat tours. Also a lot of great little shops and history to check out.

Comment

Spend a day in Talkeetna, nice campground right in town. While there go for a flight with Talkeetna air taxi and land on a Denali Glacier. Discovery cruse out of Fairbanks. On the way to Valdez swing off to the Kennicott mine for a day. If you cannot take the RV all the way you can get a shuttle out of Chitina, it is on my top 5 list for things to do in ALASKA. Enjoy the drive, roads can be rough so slow down and enjoy the view. Keep track of vehicles behind you and use the pullouts to let them pass. https://www.kennicottlodge.com/getting-here/by-road/ On the way back to Valdez stop at Eureka roadhouse for pie and a great view. We like to stay at the Grandview lodge campsite just past Eureka they always have an open spot. Sheep Mountain lodge is well know for the food also. Musk ox farm in Palmer, Lake hood in Anchorage if you are into flying. You are covering a lot of country so temps can be 40-90 degrees bring a few warm layers. Denny

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X