Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to Eagle

Hi, What are the Roads like from Eagle Alaska to Chicken Alaska, pulling 25' travel trailer.
    My Google maps say 90 miles and 3 hours, it that about right?
    In June 2022
    I plan on traveling from Dawson -> Little Gold -> Eagle -> Chicken -> Tok
    I'm planning for the number of days
    Thanks

All of that is going to be gravel last I knew. I haven't done Dawson to the border in a few years but there might be a little pavement in Canada. I did Tok to Eagle this fall. From the intersection of the Top of the word Highway to Eagle it is all gravel so protect your trailer by using mud flaps and/or a rock guard on the truck. It is a beautiful drive to Eagle. Lots of rivers and beautiful country. Take a fishing pole set up for grayling. There are some tight areas on the road, switchbacks and S turns. One dip in the road that you will have to slow down for. It is not going to be a 65 m.p.h. trip. Towing you will have to take your time in some areas. There are a few areas you can pull off to camp, no campgrounds until you hit Eagle and there is a camp ground there. Thinking back, I believe there is one campground on a river part way there but I did not pull in. Eagle has a store in the hotel and fuel. Fuel is not going to be cheap. I don't know your range but there is also fuel in Chicken. The store in Chicken is a nice tourist stop. Some of the road to Tok is paved but once reaching the highway it is all paved. The Alaska Mile Post might be a good buy for you if your touring much of Alaska.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
      All of that is going to be gravel last I knew. I haven't done Dawson to the border in a few years but there might be a little pavement in Canada. I did Tok to Eagle this fall. From the intersection of the Top of the word Highway to Eagle it is all gravel so protect your trailer by using mud flaps and/or a rock guard on the truck. It is a beautiful drive to Eagle. Lots of rivers and beautiful country. Take a fishing pole set up for grayling. There are some tight areas on the road, switchbacks and S turns. One dip in the road that you will have to slow down for. It is not going to be a 65 m.p.h. trip. Towing you will have to take your time in some areas. There are a few areas you can pull off to camp, no campgrounds until you hit Eagle and there is a camp ground there. Thinking back, I believe there is one campground on a river part way there but I did not pull in. Eagle has a store in the hotel and fuel. Fuel is not going to be cheap. I don't know your range but there is also fuel in Chicken. The store in Chicken is a nice tourist stop. Some of the road to Tok is paved but once reaching the highway it is all paved. The Alaska Mile Post might be a good buy for you if your touring much of Alaska.
      pvision,,,,, Yea, Dave pretty well nailed-it, as far as what you should expect for this trip anyway,,,,, and the camping area Dave touched-on above, is "Liberty", at Liberty Creek & Solomon Creek confluence, anyway, as Dave said, it is a Beautiful Drive, slow-down and take your time,,,,,,, Speed-Kills !!!!
      TG
      And Yea, almost forgot, it's HIGHLY recommended to carry 2-Spare Tires, and maybe 4, if your Trailer is a different size,,,,, go-ahead, ask me how I know this......

Last edited by The German; 11-02-2021, 10:41.
      [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

You shouldn’t have any issue. That campground mentioned above was pretty nice for scenery. We were in an RV and not pulling a trailer, so I don’t know and don’t recall how well that campground would accommodate a pull through camping, but to the best of my recollection it does. It’s a very nice drive and the roads were in pretty good shape the last time I was on it about 4 years ago.
        I am the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to. - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Thanks, everything you said is very useful.
          I have fishing gear, (not much of a fisherman), What do you use for bait for grayling? Anything else?
          Do you think, pulling an trailer at least over night going from Eagle to Chicken?

Comment

For grayling I use dark colored Mepps in size "0" and an ultralight rod. Which is sacrilege as the better fishermen use fly rods. I would do it as an overnighter in Eagle. There are a few gift shops, the Yukon, the fort to see. As the German said, being prepared for a flat is advisable. I had a low tire on my way home and had to air it up. Comes to find out it was a nail and I just had to plug the tire.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Thank you all. I have plans to leave Ohio June 2nd. Travel thru Canada into Alaska via "Top of the world" then to Fairbanks, then up to Deadhorse, I have a Artic Ocean shuttle reservation July 1, Denali Backcountry July 10 - 12 then Rainy Pass July 17 -22.
              now I need to schedule the rest of the trip
              thanks again

Comment

I forgot one important thing!!!! Last year the Border Patrol station up there at the Canadian border was closed due to Corvid. You could not cross there. Better check and make sure it is open before taking the turn up to Dawson. I know that the President opened the border so Canadians can cross and that 'might" mean that the station is open again. Better to check first. It is a long haul back down to Tok if it isn't open.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by pvision View Post
                  Thank you all. I have plans to leave Ohio June 2nd. Travel thru Canada into Alaska via "Top of the world" then to Fairbanks, then up to Deadhorse, I have a Artic Ocean shuttle reservation July 1, Denali Backcountry July 10 - 12 then Rainy Pass July 17 -22.
                  now I need to schedule the rest of the trip
                  thanks again
                  From my experience the road conditions of top of the world Highway and the side trip to Eagle are much better than the haul road up to Deadhorse. On the haul road, Marion Creek campgrounds are very nice with a great creak and some trails to explore. People also camp around Ati­gun Pass. Ati­gun Pass Is as far as I got on the haul road. A passing truck kicked up a rock and shattered a window, so we headed back to civilization.

You have a nice trip planned! If you don’t have one yet, I highly recommend getting a copy of the Milepost. There should be a 2022 version out, but the 2020 version is what popped up first on my web search.

https://www.amazon.com/MILEPOST-2020.../dp/1892154390
                  I am the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to. - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I have been reading Alaska Magazine stories. One story talks about hair pin curves on the road to Eagle, and goes on to say NOT for RVs.
                    I will be pulling a 22 foot travel trailer, will this be a problem?

Comment

Depends on how fast you drive. If has been raining, expect everything to get coated in mud.

Comment

That is what I warned you off in my first post. You are not going to be on a super highway when you leave Dawson. Many of AK's roads are just not the same as the L48. You can't plan on the same road speeds as vehicles not towing trailers do. Even if you were in a vehicle alone, you have to drive for the conditions. Much of the spring we have frost heaves and other numerous road hazards. Frost heaves can be disastrous for trailers. We also have a law up here that if 4 or more vehicles are behind you, you have to pull over and let them pass. One of the reasons we get angry at tourists up here. Driving 20 mph with your cell phone out the window filming is also frowned upon. Driving with your two dogs on the dash is also frowned upon. Always plan on extra time up here.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

What are you pulling the trailer with? Semi trucks run that road so a trailer with a decent tow rig should do just fine. Just slow down and enjoy the drive. Denny

Comment

Denny - thanks
                            I will be pulling with a 2021 Silverado 6.2.

Comment

As mentioned before the Milepost is a great resource for travel up here. If you stop in Tok for fuel at 3 Bears they should know of any major road problems. DENNY

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X