Campgrounds open in April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campgrounds open in April

Are there any campgrounds "open" (ungated & available to use but with no services) in April on the Kenai Peninsula?

In the past I've stayed at Williwaw c/g and Deep Creek beach campground in the off-season, but I'm told this year the gate for Williwaw hasn't been opened yet and I don't know if I want to drive the trailer all the way to Ninilchik not knowing for sure there's a campground available this weekend. Obviously the campgrounds up at the passes would be still snowed in.

Thanks

I've stayed at the campground in Hope in April before, but have no idea right now

Comment

The state doesn't open the campgrounds for locals. Only when the tourists are showing up do they plow the snow off the roads and open the gates. As soon as the last motorhome heads south, they gates are quickly closed again.
      Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
        The state doesn't open the campgrounds for locals. Only when the tourists are showing up do they plow the snow off the roads and open the gates. As soon as the last motorhome heads south, they gates are quickly closed again.
        Sarcasm duly noted?

For early season openings:
        Homer has two public campgrounds on the spit that open April 1. I would assume the private campgrounds on the spit are open around then, too.
        Seward campgrounds open April 15.
        Lots of lower Kenai campgrounds are already open - Deep Creek, Ninilchik, Clam Gulch, Morgans...
        Here is the website with the public campground status: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/open.htm

For late season openings:
        The Russian closes after labor day when the "last motorhome heads south" but they leave the gates open until the snow closes the road. Only two of the five campground loops are open and there are no services but it's free. It's the best camping you can do at the Russian because maybe there are only 2 or 3 other parties in the entire campground. I don't think they open early.
        Seward campgrounds are open through September.
        Homer campgrounds are open through October.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeser View Post
          Sarcasm duly noted?

For late season openings:
          The Russian closes after labor day when the "last motorhome heads south" but they leave the gates open until the snow closes the road. Only two of the five campground loops are open and there are no services but it's free. It's the best camping you can do at the Russian because maybe there are only 2 or 3 other parties in the entire campground. I don't think they open early.
          Seward campgrounds are open through September.
          Homer campgrounds are open through October.
          OH YEAH! Is the Russian that one you turn south off the Sterling right before the bridge and drive down about a mile and itís all paved, several loops? I keep forgetting thatís there! I REALLY want to try that one. Are you saying a couple of its loops would be accessible?

Anyway, sounds like thereís enough options I could go down there and at least find something. Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by northernalberta View Post
            OH YEAH! Is the Russian that one you turn south off the Sterling right before the bridge and drive down about a mile and itís all paved, several loops? I keep forgetting thatís there! I REALLY want to try that one. Are you saying a couple of its loops would be accessible?

Anyway, sounds like thereís enough options I could go down there and at least find something. Thanks so much!

That sounds like you're describing the Russian Campground, but it doesn't open until May 24.

I was referring to the end of the season, after Labor Day. The first two loops on your left as you enter the campground area are open after Labor Day through snow closure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeser View Post
              That sounds like you're describing the Russian Campground, but it doesn't open until May 24.

I was referring to the end of the season, after Labor Day. The first two loops on your left as you enter the campground area are open after Labor Day through snow closure.
              Ok. Do you happen to know about Trail River on the east side of Kenai Lake? Oh yeah, and Discovery in Nikiski isnít a bad little campground...

Comment

Originally posted by northernalberta View Post
                Ok. Do you happen to know about Trail River on the east side of Kenai Lake? Oh yeah, and Discovery in Nikiski isnít a bad little campground...
                Captain Cook Campground in Nikiski is still snowed in and the gate closed. I doubt it will be open for at least another month. Was just out there tonight having a picnic over looking the bluff. The road to the beach is still snow covered also. They never clear that for the locals. They leave it up to mother nature. Locals mean nothing to those *****s. The tourists are what matter to them.
                Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Hidden Lake (Skilak Loop) used to be open as road conditions permitted. We went early one time and hit a bunch of young folks in full party mode. Quartz Creek (Kenai Lake) keeps a loop open in the fall (no services, no charge) that I would think would be open now, if the road through is open. Both are federal campgrounds (like the Russian Rive CG).

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X