No announcement yet.

Cabover truck camper build with auxillary fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok,,,, I've got an idea for you, on how to gain some Fuel Storage, most Factory Campers have an access door from the inside, out to the Truck-Bed area, albeit they are usually pretty small, and usually only 1-{One} or 2, depending on the Manufacture. But since you're building your own design, now would be the time to incorporate that design on all 4-{Four} corners, make your inside doors large enough so you can move Fuel-Jugs in and out with-out alot of hassle,,,,, you'll need to "Seal" those Doors good, as your "Vapor-Fumes" will vent up & out over the Top of your Truck-Bed,,,, this is an area that is usually wasted, or not used, but in your situation, it would be the Cat's-Meow, also you'll want to "Drill" some 3/8 Holes in your Bed in these areas, to let any over-fill, or leaking Fuel cans drain to the underside of the Bed, plus you'll be able to detect any of this, if it's happening and make corrections accordingly, all the while not having any Fuel leaks or Vapor in-side your Camper, and having "Extra-Fuel" on-board when you need it. An old hunting buddy of mine in Montana did exactly what I've described above, all though he had a log-bed truck, but I'm thinking that he carried an extra 44 gals +/-,,,,, ie.... 2-6gal. jugs ea. side up-front, and 2-5gal. one's ea. side in the Rear area, as on an 8' Bed, there is more room at the front between the wheel wells than at the Rear.
    Anyway, that's my Story and I'm sticking to it.
    TG:topjob:
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

Originally posted by The German View Post
      Ok,,,, I've got an idea for you, on how to gain some Fuel Storage, most Factory Campers have an access door from the inside, out to the Truck-Bed area, albeit they are usually pretty small, and usually only 1-{One} or 2, depending on the Manufacture. But since you're building your own design, now would be the time to incorporate that design on all 4-{Four} corners, make your inside doors large enough so you can move Fuel-Jugs in and out with-out alot of hassle,,,,, you'll need to "Seal" those Doors good, as your "Vapor-Fumes" will vent up & out over the Top of your Truck-Bed,,,, this is an area that is usually wasted, or not used, but in your situation, it would be the Cat's-Meow, also you'll want to "Drill" some 3/8 Holes in your Bed in these areas, to let any over-fill, or leaking Fuel cans drain to the underside of the Bed, plus you'll be able to detect any of this, if it's happening and make corrections accordingly, all the while not having any Fuel leaks or Vapor in-side your Camper, and having "Extra-Fuel" on-board when you need it. An old hunting buddy of mine in Montana did exactly what I've described above, all though he had a log-bed truck, but I'm thinking that he carried an extra 44 gals +/-,,,,, ie.... 2-6gal. jugs ea. side up-front, and 2-5gal. one's ea. side in the Rear area, as on an 8' Bed, there is more room at the front between the wheel wells than at the Rear.
      Anyway, that's my Story and I'm sticking to it.
      Ha, we're on the same wavelength!
      I was just sitting here waiting for the women In the store and trying to figure out how to access that space from the inside of the camper!
      I thought about fab-ing up "saddle" tanks to fit on each side In that void. It wpuld actually be a lot of fuel. However, it would be difficult to get all the fuel to drain to the low points.
      Because my truck is only 6.5' bed, space is super limited.
      I even thought about welding up a low profile 35 gallon tank that bolts to the left or right of the door. It's about 220 or so lbs for that, if have to reinforce properly for that.
      I like the rear vertical tank idea a lot because it's super easy to fill, and gravity is my friend. And it would be easy to remove and maintain.

Comment

Ok,,,,,, But, But,,,,,, that Tank will be out there for "Every" gas thief with-in a 100 miles,,,,, I had the same dilemma building my Fuel Storage, 6-5-Gal Red Cans on both side's of the Flat-bed, talk about a "Bait-Station" for Gas Thieves,,,,, well I'm going to up-load some Photos later this Evening, and you'll be able to see what I came-up with.
        Later >TG:topjob:

Comment

Ok, here you go, my Project to date:

Comment

Here are a couple more;

Comment

One more time;

Comment

Ok, here are the configuration Totals that I currently Pack with me;
                Gasoline@ 65 gals. Total [Plus the 20gals behind the seat in the Cab.] So 85gals when Full.
                5-6gal. jugs Passenger side
                7-5gal jugs Drivers side,,,, Both sides Lockable, and "No" visual site of what's there.

Propane@ 20 gals. Total
                2-5gal. Tanks w/ Auto-Changeover Reg. Passenger's side.
                2-5gal. Tanks w/Auto Changeover Reg. Drivers Side. [Factory Build]

Plus on-board 1800 Watt Generator
                Small Solar Panel 15 Watt for Deep-Cycle Battery GP27 AGM 100amp/hr
                IOTA ENGR. Dedicated Battery Charger, DLS-30 w/ Quick Charge Plug

There are a few more "Bells & Whistles", but this gives you an Idea.
                Last edited by The German; 07-17-2017, 11:54. Reason: adding data

Comment

Holy smokes. That's a lot of fuel!

Comment

Here's some progress for today. Put in about 6 hours with my nephews. Did a dry fit to measure for the part that goes into the bed. It is all welded up in bottom, I just ran out of material. Need to weld up a couple overhead horizontal, gussets, and bracing for the fuel tank and ladder. Then frame will hopefully be done.
                    I'm not sure why I did this out of aluminum... lol..
                    It's gonna be epic though!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170717_143314.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2498272

Comment

Update: been waiting on jacks, finally got them.
                      Question: ideas on how to secure camper to bed? Click image for larger version

Name:	20170726_185334.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	2498336

Comment

Ok, here are the configuration Totals that I currently Pack with me;
                        Gasoline@ 65 gals. Total [Plus the 20gals behind the seat in the Cab.] So 85gals when Full.
                        5-6gal. jugs Passenger side
                        7-5gal jugs Drivers side,,,, Both sides Lockable, and "No" visual site of what's there.

Propane@ 20 gals. Total
                        2-5gal. Tanks w/ Auto-Changeover Reg. Passenger's side.
                        2-5gal. Tanks w/Auto Changeover Reg. Drivers Side. [Factory Build]

Plus on-board 1800 Watt Generator
                        Small Solar Panel 15 Watt for Deep-Cycle Battery GP27 AGM 100amp/hr
                        IOTA ENGR. Dedicated Battery Charger, DLS-30 w/ Quick Charge Plug

There are a few more "Bells & Whistles", but this gives you an Idea.
                        Carrying fuel in the cab? Sounds like a crematorium on wheels if there is an accident.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                          Carrying fuel in the cab? Sounds like a crematorium on wheels if there is an accident.
                          Well,,,,, daveinthebush, I guess you are not familiar, or "Old-Enough" to remember that those Trucks -[ie... 1976]- used to have Fuel Tanks Behind the Seat,,,,, in the Cab, from the Factory,,,,,, so what am I missing here,,,,, or, what are you Missing, >

Comment

Well,,,,, daveinthebush, I guess you are not familiar, or "Old-Enough" to remember that those Trucks -[ie... 1976]- used to have Fuel Tanks Behind the Seat,,,,, in the Cab, from the Factory,,,,,, so what am I missing here,,,,, or, what are you Missing, >
                            The 67 Chevy truck I grew up in had a tank behind the seat. I was 16 years old cruising across the floating bridge going to Seattle and my heated seat caught fire and burned up. The gas tank never exploded-although by all rights it should have!!

Comment

Nope I have never seen a fuel tank in a cab before. You said; [Plus the 20gals behind the seat in the Cab.] Did not know that these were factory built in fuel tanks so got confused.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                                Nope I have never seen a fuel tank in a cab before. You said; [Plus the 20gals behind the seat in the Cab.] Did not know that these were factory built in fuel tanks so got confused.

Dam Dave,,,,, you been living under a "Rock", you're only a yr. younger than me, I guess they didn't have Trucks in New York, or you were never around any, or didn't notice I guess,,,,, but hey, it's all good,,,,, I'm just pulling your chain. >:whistle:

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X