Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruising Alaska

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cruising Alaska

    I have thought about a cruise to Alaska but I always jokingly said they won't let me hunt from the deck, so why go? I would much rather go without the touristy stuff but will have to break down and take the wife one of these years. In the meantime I am going back for caribou south of Deadhorse in August.

    My folks took a cruise on the inside passage in June, 2001, the same year I went over by Lake Clark on my first moose/caribou unguided hunt. We were out when 911 happened. Anyway me and Mom and Dad were looking over a map after I got back and I showed them where I was. My Mom looked at how far they had gone and said, heck we never even made it to Alaska. I still laugh about that. She will be 90 soon and Dad is gone, so ... guess I better get my act together.

  • #2
    One of the small ship cruises may be a better fit for you. They typically stop every day and let you go kayaking or take you for a short hike. They can look more expensive but most times everything is included, unlike the big ships.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks that is a good idea. I will look into a more "personable" cruise. Sure am looking forward to getting my wife up there as I think she will love it as much as I do, thanks

      Comment


      • #4
        the small one are the 'Spirit' boats .... they take like 90 tourists and some times take the back roads ...
        johnnie laird

        Comment


        • #5
          Fly up and spend a few days seeing the real Alaska with a rental vehicle and then take the cruise home and relax on the way.Have done this a couple times and it was great.

          Comment


          • #6
            Real Alaska?[emoji1]

            Sent from SE, red headed stepchild of the State.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
              Real Alaska?[emoji1]

              Sent from SE, red headed stepchild of the State.
              Ha!.....I was wondering the same thing. I'm pretty sure I've been there but now I guess I better ask the question incase I've been all wrong for the last 35 years.....where is "real" Alaska...???
              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                "Real" Alaska is NOT the touristy trip that just scratches the surface. Riding the paddlewheel boat "Discovery" down the Chena is touristy and is the type of thing most visitors do. Going into McCarthy or driving from Paxton to Cantwell on the"highway" is the type of trip I referred to.Man oh man---some people are soooo thin crusted!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by alottabs View Post
                  "Real" Alaska is NOT the touristy trip that just scratches the surface. Riding the paddlewheel boat "Discovery" down the Chena is touristy and is the type of thing most visitors do. Going into McCarthy or driving from Paxton to Cantwell on the"highway" is the type of trip I referred to.Man oh man---some people are soooo thin crusted!!!!
                  Where do you live Thick Crust?[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    gbflyer,
                    Don`t worry about where I live. If I lived closer you would be the first to know!Why don`t you try to help out the guy that posted the original request for info on a cruise.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by alottabs View Post
                      gbflyer,
                      Don`t worry about where I live. If I lived closer you would be the first to know!Why don`t you try to help out the guy that posted the original request for info on a cruise.
                      Didn't see a question asking for help in his post. Read to me like a statement but my crust is thin. Hahahahahaha. [emoji1]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Actually I have looked into a cruise that would satisfy my wife, or at least get her thinking about it when it warms up. Some of my friends have flown to Fairbanks, then toured Denali, train ride to Anchorage, then down to Homer or Whittier to cruise back to Seattle or Vancouver. Not sure of all the schedules but that is close to what they have done. For all the times I have been to Alaska I could suffer and do the touristy things for her sake.

                        OH and I did part of the Denali Highway. Rode a snowmachine from Cantwell to Alpine creek lodge last spring for the bear hunt. My shoulders still hurt

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by markopolo50 View Post
                          Actually I have looked into a cruise that would satisfy my wife, or at least get her thinking about it when it warms up. Some of my friends have flown to Fairbanks, then toured Denali, train ride to Anchorage, then down to Homer or Whittier to cruise back to Seattle or Vancouver. Not sure of all the schedules but that is close to what they have done. For all the times I have been to Alaska I could suffer and do the touristy things for her sake.

                          OH and I did part of the Denali Highway. Rode a snowmachine from Cantwell to Alpine creek lodge last spring for the bear hunt. My shoulders still hurt
                          My neighbors can accommodate all your and your wife's needs with a hunting cruise. They are really booked up but do get some space occasionally. It's a real nice boat and the hunting is fantastic.

                          http://www.glacierguidesinc.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Good luck on your trip!!!
                            Originally posted by markopolo50 View Post
                            Actually I have looked into a cruise that would satisfy my wife, or at least get her thinking about it when it warms up. Some of my friends have flown to Fairbanks, then toured Denali, train ride to Anchorage, then down to Homer or Whittier to cruise back to Seattle or Vancouver. Not sure of all the schedules but that is close to what they have done. For all the times I have been to Alaska I could suffer and do the touristy things for her sake.

                            OH and I did part of the Denali Highway. Rode a snowmachine from Cantwell to Alpine creek lodge last spring for the bear hunt. My shoulders still hurt

                            Comment

                            Footer Adsense

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X