Any update on the ALCAN staying open post here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...hat-to-expect/

Nice read about traveling thru Canada right now.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Just got done with the trip from Coutts, Alberta to the Alaska portal on the ALCAN.

They give you 72 hours to make that trip. Tell you not to stop for anything other than fuel, use a restroom and to only purchase food using restaurants with drive thru windows. The 24 hour allotment remains for the Yukon, although the Environmental Officer that checked us in at Watson Lake (2200 hours on Saturday night) was nearly clueless when asked about resources when businesses were closed.

They will check you and quiz you at the borders for any signs of COVID. There is also a check station at Whitehorse where they instruct you to not leave the ALCAN for any reason.

Otherwise, it was mostly very pleasant as almost all of my interactions with Canadians have been throughout my life. A really nice trip in that there was almost no traffic. Only a few RV's and a few semi trucks. There were times that we drove 20-30 minutes without seeing another vehicle. The frost heave from Haines Junction to Tok was as bad as I have ever seen. Tok Cut-off not great either, but at least they are trying to fix it. Yellowtail Trail west of Edmonton not good either, but not as bad as ALCAN in the Yukon.

Looking forward to doing this trip some day and actually being able to enjoy the drive. This was my 7th trip and every time it has been a race to get from one place to another.

Comment

Good report and thanks. The couple times I did it was balls to wall. Be nice to be able to do it leisurely.
        -Tim

Comment

Looks like Canada is keeping the border closed into August now. <br/><br/>https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The Canadian border is now officially closed to all. We were stopped at the end of July trying to help our daughter move to Seattle for school. The immigration officers declared my wife and myself non-essential, but added that my daughter could continue. Afterward, they made the announcement that there would no longer be an exemption for Alaska residents.

Comment

Now closed until Sept 21st.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Extended until Oct. 21st now.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Footer Adsense