• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any update on the ALCAN staying open post here

Open for now as far as I know
    Probably driving up this May-ish with an empty 3/4 ton diesel BTW

Canada, U.S. to close border to non-essential travel

Canada and the United States will announce a deal to partially close the border on Wednesday, while allowing trade and commerce to continue, sources say.

To stem the spread of COVID-19, the two countries are finalizing a deal to close the border to non-essential travel.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ential-travel/
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Vice President Pence just said that the border is closing except to essential travel such as supplies.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I am planning on doing the same. Fingers crossed the border is open by late may.

Comment

If you look at the different "curve" charts out there, this is going to take some time. Maybe three months. We are on the bottom of the curve right now. One person infects 3, 3 infect 12... There is an excellent chart out there showing the infection rate. I am afraid we are in this for the long haul.

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

It's probably worth noting that the population of the US is almost four times larger than that of Italy 330,000,000 vs 60,000,000. We also have a younger population 37.9 median years old vs 45.1 median years old. And we are much, much more spread out at 3,800,000 square miles vs 116,000 square miles.
            I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Apparently from what I’ve heard you CAN drive through now but you have to have a plan and keep moving. I. E. From the AK side gotta be through YT in 24 hours... which is pretty leisurely. Tried to post a link but I can’t

Comment

Originally posted by gottago View Post
                Apparently from what I’ve heard you CAN drive through now but you have to have a plan and keep moving. I. E. From the AK side gotta be through YT in 24 hours... which is pretty leisurely. Tried to post a link but I can’t
                https://www.travelyukon.com/en/plan/...novirus-update

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by gottago View Post
                  Ok, forget the Link, just spell-it-out,,,,, where did you get your info:, because as of my last checking on this, and the above "Post" by iofthetaiga, it's still Closed,,, :cool:

Ok, just talked to some friends at the Montana-Canadian Border,,,,, they have been given permission to cross, but they had to show Current Home Ownership here in Alaska, and they had to submit to a Health Inspection at the Border, and were told to make the Trip as Fast & Safe as Possible, and that the Beaver-Creek Inspection Station would be expecting them Accordingly, so it appears that they, the Canadians are making some exceptions, but for us that live here in Alaska, it looks like you better have a "Pretty-Good" Story when you get to the Border at TOK Headed South....... :cool:
                  Last edited by The German; 04-12-2020, 15:24. Reason: New Travel Info: Up-Date......
                  [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

I just flew down to idaho and moved my son back up to alaska. I had called several times asking as did he. At the border entering Canada it still seemed kind of touch and go as to getting in. Once across, we pretty much cruised across. We didn't kill ourselves but drove all day. Not much open along the way. There was a checkpoint entering the yukon and they were asking that we try and cross within 24 hours. I would say that unless you are moving back to Alaska from the lower 48, you won't be allowed in.

Comment

I just came through the border Monday night. I traveled through 5 provinces and the Yukon at Watson Lake was the only place that had a road block. Had to give them my phone number, AK drivers license info, and was told I had 24 hours to travel through the Yukon. I’ll have to admit, I was a bit disappointed at the AK border. Took me 2 minutes to get through. Only thing I was given was a copy of a generic COVID 19 pamphlet. I asked if I was under a 14 day quarantine and was told “that’s the Alaska governor’s deal”. I’ll do the right thing for my neighbors and self quarantine, but the state has no idea that I’m here.

Comment

I did a turn and burn to Minot ND from Talkeetna starting last Friday and ending yesterday. Getting into Canada if you are moving back to Alaska, or moving to the states appears to be easy if you have evidence of where and why you are going. Now, the tricky thing is that they said trucking and business travel can continue. While this may be true, they will hassle you about it. Even though I am a business with commercial trucking licensing and interstate authority, they ran me through the ringer at Beaver Creek and on my return through North Portal. Mostly they couldn't wrap their head around how a one ton truck (registered and insured as commercial) could be commercial. They threw every excuse in the book at me why I couldn't go, but I was well armed with information and debated my way through it both times. The only humans I contacted were four Canadian customs officers, two American customs officers, my trailer sales guy in Minot who stayed 10' away from me at all times, and the waitress at Fast Eddies in Tok on my way home for a take out burger. I hauled my own food, slept in the back seat of my truck on a bed I made for it, and bought fuel at card lock pumps and kept moving.

The American officers took less than 5 minutes talking to me each time.

Watson Lake had officers stopping north bound traffic and taking information about you and informing you that you had to move through YT in 48 hours. My guy was a wildlife officer who was obviously bored out of his mind. Nobody was behind me and we ended up talking for 20min. about the bison on the road and hunting in general.
                        Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

Closed to recreational travel until 05/18/2020. Should be an update tomorrow!

Comment

As of April 22, 2020, the 30-day restriction on all non-essential (discretionary) travel at the Canada-U.S. border that was implemented on March 21, 2020, was extended for an additional 30 days until May 21, 2020.
                            https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...restrictions_1
                            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Extended through 21 June.
                              https://www.adn.com/nation-world/202...rough-june-21/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X