Studded Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studded Tires

I drive in Alaska... A lot (around 50K a year).

I've driven the best studless tires on my company rig, and have had a variety of studded tires on my personal rig(s).

This year, I bought a set of Hakkepelitta 8's for my frontwheel drive commuter car. They are amazing. I've noticed that while I travel around town, I'm able to get going easier and faster at stoplights in my frontwheel drive car than even AWD Subarus using studded tires.

I then bought a set of Hakkepelitta 8 SUV's for my F-150. On Christmas morning, at the Homer house, we got rain over the ice, and the driveway is very sloped. My truck was empty with a 4000 lb trailer on it, and it was rock solid maneuvering around the driveway, where all the guests had to park at the bottom of the hill.

Can't recommend these tires enough.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Where did you get them at?

Comment

Originally posted by blacksprucy View Post

https://www.nokiantires.com/where-to...ealer-locator/
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by blacksprucy View Post
        Anchorage Tire Factory.
        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

when you are buying do you want them on all 4 tires or just the drive tires? Does it make a difference for car or truck?
          Semper Fi and God Bless

Comment

Originally posted by tboehm View Post
            when you are buying do you want them on all 4 tires or just the drive tires? Does it make a difference for car or truck?
            All 4, always.
            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

All 4 corners. You want to be able to steer and stop. The getting going part is secondary.

The snow, snowpack and ice isn't so much the issue. Most any decent tire suffices in those conditions. What makes the Kenai peninsula driving so bad is the amount of days we get rain on top of the ice or snowpack. There is nothing slicker than a freshly flooded hockey rink. On those days you want the best tires you can get your hands on. Or just stay home lol

Comment

Dogpile, I know, but ALWAYS all 4. Nothing worse going around a mild corner at 55 and having your tailgate pass you on the highway (Been there done that).

In fact, a lot of tire places won't sell you just 2.

Getting moving has never been a problem for me... If I can't, I make other plans. Where traction really comes into play is travelling at highway speeds and maintaining a good curve without going out of control.
                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I'm looking for a new set of studded tires, any new developments for over the past three years?

Comment

Anyone know anything?

Comment

Just bought a set of Cooper S/T Max 275/70R18 studded snows for the F-350 diesel. I like Coopers and Discount Tire said it was the best for my rig. Last year I had the Cooper Discovery in the same configuration and they did very well too. In Valdez since we shop often in Anchorage and do the 275 trip over it is best to have the best. They said they could do siping but I was on a turn and burn. "Siping is the process of cutting thin slits across the surface of a tire to improve traction for driving in snowy, wet or icy conditions." (Technical description for sniping). I researched it and it had a favorable approval on the internet. I also put about 400 pounds of sand in the back of the rig to improve traction.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                        Just bought a set of Cooper S/T Max 275/70R18 studded snows for the F-350 diesel. I like Coopers and Discount Tire said it was the best for my rig. Last year I had the Cooper Discovery in the same configuration and they did very well too. In Valdez since we shop often in Anchorage and do the 275 trip over it is best to have the best. They said they could do siping but I was on a turn and burn. "Siping is the process of cutting thin slits across the surface of a tire to improve traction for driving in snowy, wet or icy conditions." (Technical description for sniping). I researched it and it had a favorable approval on the internet. I also put about 400 pounds of sand in the back of the rig to improve traction.
                        Do you need to replace them every year?

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post

Do you need to replace them every year?
                          I have 59,000 miles on the truck. I bought one studded set to match the original truck tires when I bought it. I switch out in Sept./Oct. to the studded and run to around April. Then I switch back to the stud-less. Both sets had to be replaced this year. "Might" of gotten one more winter out of the studded set. I do haul a 2,400 pound camper in the summer/fall for 3-4 weeks so that adds to the wear on the non-studded set. Basically 30,000 miles of AK driving on a set.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X