Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a small reflex sight that doesn't use batteries, look at the Dual Illuminated Trijicon RMR like nbh40 has on his lever rifle. That sight uses Tritium and fiber optics.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Comment

AJ, I didn't have any problems on the Peninsula last year in September with mine. I was extra careful with the mounting procedure. Make sure the rubber gasket is really in place before tightening everything down. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MyTime View Post
        I had a 1895SBL on order for 4 months before it arrived. There were some issues with it when I picked it up. The front sight was canted to the right. The picatinnay rail was canted and not fully seated on the barrel. The feed port wouldn't open because the lever that lifts the bullets was catching it. That rifle is currently in the shop for warranty repairs AND to get a WWG trigger put into it. Too bad that the quality control at Marlin is so poor. The gunsmith said that by the time he gets it back to me I should expect it to be pristine. Maybe there's a JPoint red dot sight in it's future...thinking...thinking...thinking...hmm.
        MyTime
        It sounds like you guys are not aware of what is going on with Marlin rifles. Marlin was bought out last year by an investment group called CEREBUS (I think that is the name). CEREBUS has been buying firearms manufacturers that have included Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin and some others. Unfortunately they are not interested in building quality firearms and have apparently been hiring unskilled labor in their factories. Their quality has fallen dramatically and I am reading that dealers are returning as many as 40% of new Marlin lever guns to the factory upon receiving them. Some dealers have stopped stocking them and Marlin has suspended production of all lever guns a month or so ago.

There are dozens of owners of new Marlin rifles that are experiencing problems similar to MyTime's on the Marlinowners web site. Some guys have had to send their rifles back 2 or 3 times without their issues being fixed.

The new Marlin rifles are called REMLIN and that is what is stamped on the right side of the barrel just in front of the receiver. If your rifle has that stamp, then it was made in the new CEREBUS plant and not by Marlin in North Haven, CT.
        There is a sticky thread on Marlinowners about this issue and if you are thinking about buying a Marlin lever gun, I highly recommend you check it out before you buy a new rifle.
        The last (real) Marlin rifles were manufactured in the North Haven factory in late 2009 or early 2010.
        Not trying to cause any trouble and I am not an expert on this issue but it is a big deal on Marlinowners.

Comment

Nightrain,

My Marlin 1895SBL is a new build and it has New Haven CT stamped on the barrel. There is nothing that says REMLIN anywhere on the rifle that I have found. At this point in time I can say that my 1895SBL works well, as advertised, and is up to par with it's reputation, and I'm glad I have it. Historically Marlin has not been a lousy company. If Marlin, or any firearm manufacturer for that matter, starts putting out a bad product, then also has lousy customer service/repairs, they will loose sales, customer loyalty, and drive themselves out of business. Business is business.

I think this is one of those situations where it'd be appropriate for those who are looking into a lever action rifle to kick back for a few months and see where things shake out. When I purchase a firearm for several hundred dollars or more, I want a reliable firearm with the knowledge that there will be good customer support if I need it.

MyTime
          MyTime

Comment

Well I've been happy, for the most part, with my rifle. I dropped it off at WWG today to have a few things fixed I was not happy with.
            One thing was that the action kicked open everytime I fired it. Drawing blood from my finger on more than one occasion cutting it with the edge of the lever.
            I was not happy with the slop in the trigger so I'm having them do their "Happy" trigger. I'm also letting them set me up with their extractor and metal follower as well.
            And finally, the edge of the opening at the loading gate was so sharp it was shaving brass off the side of the case as I loaded. And it could cut the end of my finger loading the last one in if I wasn't paying attention. Drawing blood on more than one occasion.
            It shoots like a charm though. Just needs a little TLC to smooth it out.

Comment

I hope you get your rifle into the condition you want it in and enjoy it for years.

On the other hand everything you mention sounds like sloppy quality control by the manufacturer. It is a shame that you have to spend money on a new rifle to get it where it should have been from the factory.
              NRA Life Member since 1974

Comment

A quick update on holographic sights. I had the Trijicon RMR dual illuminated on my Guide Gun. Great, quick sight BUT......problems with water and crud. Any water or crud that gets on the emitter area will (and did) cause reflection and refraction which made multiple small dots appear on the glass and also made the main dot harder to see. This was a major PITA, easily solved with a quick wipe, but you ain't got time to do that with a bear charging you down. I have now gone back to XS peep and post on my guide gun.
                IF I were to put a red-dot back on my guide gun, it will be a tube type; Vortex SPARC, Aimpoint Micro etc.

Comment

Yahoo! As a follow up, I got my rifle back from WWG last week and put some smoke through it this weekend. Very nice. I'm still using the XS sights that came on it, no optics yet. Everything is fixed up and the trigger feels mighty fine.
                  I shot about 25 of the HSM 430gr "Bear Load" rounds, they are advertised to be almost 1800fps. Once I/it got warmed up I was getting 1 to 1.5" groups at 50yrds.
                  I read a good article explaining the difference between the WWG trigger kit and the Marlin factory trigger, complete with pictures. Don't remember the website at this time though. Nice piece of equipment that I'm happy with so far.

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X