Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW Winchester Model 1892........Quality Question...?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NEW Winchester Model 1892........Quality Question...?

    I am developing carnal feeling for the New Winchester Model 1892, which is painfully expensive.
    Anyone have one, fondled one, read a valid report on one......????
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

  • #2
    I petted one also and it sure looked great, they did a heck of a job fitting it and the machining is tops for sure. I couldnít find anything to fault from looking other than price but that kind of quality workmanship doesnít come cheap. I doubt Iíll do a new 92, I have those bases covered but the new 94 of the same quality in 45-70 will find its way home with me soon as I scratch up more nickels and dimes. They look to be better made now than they have since the 20s but no clue on how they shoot so far.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

    Comment


    • #3
      I have handled a few of them in the last few months, and I must say, if I could dig up the extra scratch I'd own one by now. The only thing I see wrong with them is the tang safety, but at least it's more conveinently placed than the Marlin crossbolt. One of them needed a triggerjob but I fixed that for the guy. All in all I think they're pretty darn neat, maybe someday I'll get one in 44 mag so my 1886 will have a little brother.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yea I hate the stupid safety too but it's what we got to deal with these days. My Dad ordered a 94 in 357 back about 1996, $450 from Wal-Mart of all places because no one else would order it for him. When it came in he took it right down to my brother-in-laws machine shop, remover the stupid thing and TIGed the hole over. My brother got that one when Dad died but I bet you can guess what I will do about that usless hole.:think:
        Andy
        On the web= C-lazy-F.co
        Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
        Call/Text 602-315-2406
        Phoenix Arizona

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
          I am developing carnal feeling for the New Winchester Model 1892, which is painfully expensive.
          Anyone have one, fondled one, read a valid report on one......????
          For you it wont be painfully expensive...just expensive.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ADfields View Post
            I petted one also and it sure looked great, they did a heck of a job fitting it and the machining is tops for sure. I couldnít find anything to fault from looking other than price but that kind of quality workmanship doesnít come cheap. I doubt Iíll do a new 92, I have those bases covered but the new 94 of the same quality in 45-70 will find its way home with me soon as I scratch up more nickels and dimes. They look to be better made now than they have since the 20s but no clue on how they shoot so far.

            surely you mistype?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
              I am developing carnal feeling for the New Winchester Model 1892, which is painfully expensive.
              Anyone have one, fondled one, read a valid report on one......????
              I have a PUMA (Mdl 92 Replica) (357 Magnum)

              It too, is very well made, as good as any Winchester I've seen, so far, but MUCH cheaper.

              I dunno, but the Winchester is probably made overseas too. In any case, why pay double for the Winchester Name?

              It's got a small safety on top of the action, but it doesn't bother me in the least. It's easy to see if it's on Safe.

              I just don't use it, and it's not gone on Safe by accident. Yit, anyway.

              Smitty of the North
              Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
              Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
              You can't out-give God.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have 2 of the old (about 1920) Win 92s (25/20 and 32/20) and a Puma in 454 but haven't had a chance to use one of the new Win 92s. The Puma is a well built gun and I can't imagine the Win being twice the gun even though it is twice the price. My Puma had the safety until I replaced it with a ghost ring sight. Now it doesn't have the funky safety and it does have a decent rear sight.
                If someone were to make a 92 in 256Win, I would probably have to get one regardless of the brand.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jim in anchorage View Post
                  surely you mistype?
                  You'd be correct Jim, I did mistype. 1886/45-70 ....... the 94 does come in 38-55 though.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Model-1886-Short-Rifle-MID-534175-l.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	2479379
                  Andy
                  On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                  Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                  Call/Text 602-315-2406
                  Phoenix Arizona

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Kid View Post
                    I have handled a few of them in the last few months, and I must say, if I could dig up the extra scratch I'd own one by now. The only thing I see wrong with them is the tang safety, but at least it's more conveinently placed than the Marlin crossbolt. One of them needed a triggerjob but I fixed that for the guy. All in all I think they're pretty darn neat, maybe someday I'll get one in 44 mag so my 1886 will have a little brother.
                    You need to change your name from "Kid" to "The'triggerman". Yes, I loath any safety on a lever firearm. I think I'll have you guy's shorten the barrel on my .32 Special M-94 that Ken has someplace in your firearms Brothel.
                    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i currently own two miroku made winchester lever rifles....... and personally think even in it's heyday winchester didn't make a rifle this good! this fit, function, and finish make it as close to "perfect" as is possible.

                      a lot of folks seem to DETEST an additional safety on these rifles, but to me they are added insurance while in the scabbard, and so i like them.
                      happy trails.
                      jh

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I got to handle one a couple of weeks ago. I gotta say if they made it in 25-20 I'd own one right now, expensive or not. They seem very well put together, but the calibers are pretty humdrum to me when I've got other levers in the same calibers. Of course, I've got Marlins in 25-20 and 32-20, but that doesn't stop me from wanting a 92 in 25-20!
                        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                        Merle Haggard

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                          You need to change your name from "Kid" to "The'triggerman". Yes, I loath any safety on a lever firearm. I think I'll have you guy's shorten the barrel on my .32 Special M-94 that Ken has someplace in your firearms Brothel.
                          He hath been dubbed the Kid and shall be such until he is in diapers again. I wont touch the brothel remark, except to say the next time you are in town, I shall wear my Hello Kitty thong and Pikachu high heeled sandals for you. Out there by yourself, you need some excitement

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
                            a lot of folks seem to DETEST an additional safety on these rifles, but to me they are added insurance while in the scabbard, and so i like them
                            Like I said, I don't use the safety on my PUMA, under normal circumstances anyway, but I don't mind it being there. Suppose, I chamber a round, and then DON'T SHOOT. i might wanna use the safety then. I'll hafta see if I can UNchamber a round without puttin a nother'n in.

                            I sure do hate the cross-bolt type safety, on a Marlin, for example. It'll be ON and you won't know it, UNTIL,,,,

                            It just seems like, if you have time to take it outta the scabbard, you'd have time to throw the lever.

                            I spose, it's what you've become used to.

                            Smitty of the North
                            Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                            Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                            You can't out-give God.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yep, you can unload the chamber without loading another round, but there is a fine line. Just as soon as the extracted round clears the chamber, stop and it can be done. I'm not sure I would want a round in the chamber in a scabbard but you can do as you wish. It just doesn't take long to chamber a round as your bringing the gun up to your shoulder. Although I have a 92 in 25/20, if someone made one in 256Win or maybe a 454 case necked to 28 or 30 cal it would be my next gun.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X