338-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 338-06

Nothing to look at yet but my wife 338-06, soon it will be wearing a french walnut stock... the action is a vz-24, with an obendorf style bolt, interarms bottom metal, model 70 style safety, Timeny trigger, custom bases, with talley rings and last a 24 inch Douglas barrel chambered in a 338-06. Sorry fellas no powder coating, and ugly synthetic stocks. Going to be done up right blued rifle with a woodstock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1338.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	2509573Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1337.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2509572

I believe it to be the perfect med. bore....it will do her well, now just finish it and share some pic.

Comment

Once it is finished I will be sure to shair pictures

Comment

I think you need to finish it up in a pink camo pattern!
        :cool: Life is too important to be taken seriously. :cool:

Chinese proverb

Comment

Oh boy I think not... Considering the wood I have is a 500 dollar blank.

Comment

Looks like a great rifle in the making!

Comment

323, Murphy once made a comment that hung with me until I finally got a 338-06. That comment was to do with the fact that the only improvement ever made to the parent 30-06 case was the 338-06.

That endorsement was enough for me.

Mine too is based on the dandy 98 mauser action and though it was someone elses handy work it is very much to my liking.

I've been real busy here lately but will take time to post a picture or two of mine in the near future.

Good luck with your project.....it's got all the ingredients to be the perfect rifle!

Comment

Originally posted by 323 View Post
                Oh boy I think not... Considering the wood I have is a 500 dollar blank.
                Nice! She'll be a beauty and a shooter. Have fun with the project.
                :cool: Life is too important to be taken seriously. :cool:

Chinese proverb

Comment

Nothing to look at yet but my wife 338-06, soon it will be wearing a french walnut stock... the action is a vz-24, with an obendorf style bolt, interarms bottom metal, model 70 style safety, Timeny trigger, custom bases, with talley rings and last a 24 inch Douglas barrel chambered in a 338-06. Sorry fellas no powder coating, and ugly synthetic stocks. Going to be done up right blued rifle with a woodstock.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47976[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47975[/ATTACH]
                  Way to go, IMO.

A beautiful rifle deserved a beautiful Stock.

A synthetic stock can be Utility, and even practical and reliable, but no way, can they be beautiful, as in "Quality", compared to a Wood Stock.

I hope it turns out the way you want it to be.

Smitty of the North
                  Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                  Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                  You can't out-give God.

Comment

Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
                    323, Murphy once made a comment that hung with me until I finally got a 338-06. That comment was to do with the fact that the only improvement ever made to the parent 30-06 case was the 338-06.

That endorsement was enough for me.
                    The Real Elmer Keith was mightily fond of the .333 OKH. It follows, that his clone would like the 338-06.

One time ago, I heard some high praise about it's use in "Africa".

"Waaaayy down DEEP in the Jungles, in the Heart, of DARKEST Africa,,,,

comes the CRY of the Constipated APE. "UUUHHHH"

Smitty of the North
                    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                    You can't out-give God.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47976[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47975[/ATTACH]
                      Only way a proper gun should be:topjob: I really like those bases, makes it look like a double square bridge. Bolts cool to. Are you doing the stock yourself?

Comment

Food for thought- The 257 Roberts that RCBS built for me back in the early 1970's started life with a purty piece of wood on it. It accumulated a few dings along the way, and was getting dingier by the year. I put a McMillan synthetic on it and moved the wood to an honored spot in the safe. Now it hunts with synthetic, but when I'm feeling nostalgic I put the wood back on for a few months.
                        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                        Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty of the North View Post
                          The Real Elmer Keith was mightily fond of the .333 OKH. It follows, that his clone would like the 338-06.

One thing to remember, old Elmer was most proud of the .333 diameter 275-grain Speer bullet in both the belted and 06 cases. That bullet or its .338 cousin haven't been around for a long time, but you can get a version today (actually with heavier jackets) from Hawk Bullets.
                          "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                          Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by jim in anchorage View Post
                            Only way a proper gun should be:topjob: I really like those bases, makes it look like a double square bridge. Bolts cool to. Are you doing the stock yourself?
                            Unfortunately not that talented, so it will eventually be sent to canyon creek (I think was the name) to be stocked. The guy who runs it worked for Cooper arms. Anyhow it should look good after it is done...

Comment

Unfortunately not that talented, so it will eventually be sent to canyon creek (I think was the name) to be stocked. The guy who runs it worked for Cooper arms. Anyhow it should look good after it is done...
                              Be sure and keep us up to date on this project....I'm almost giddy for ya!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X