Well the 45-70 is a shooter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well the 45-70 is a shooter!

About 2 weeks ago I got a Marlin 45-70 SBL. At first I thought it was going to be a lemon from what I read and how rough the action was. It came with a GS barrel on it which is incorrect for the model. I was going to send it in to get it replaced but marlin said they dont pay for shipping for warranty work coming from Alaska so I decided to keep it. After a tear down and some polishing with the dremel there were several burrs which was causing the rough action a couple hours of polishing and the action is nice and smooth now. I took her out today to get the scope sighted in and I must say I went out with the expectation or being disappointed just from what I have read about this model but it turned out to be just the opposite.

^ The rifle. It has a Redfield 2-7X on top with see through mounts so I can still use the ghost ring iron sights.

It took 4 shots to get the scope zeroed at 50 yards and 2 more shots to get it on at 100. It was calm and 5 above at the range.

^^These shots were @ 100 yards with the scope. The left group is right at .50 the right one is at about 1.56 the wind picked up a bit on the second one but still that is good enough for me will defiantly fit in the kill zone of anything I am hunting.

^^ These two groups were @ 75 with the iron sights. The left group is just a hair over 2 inches and the right one is 1.78 inches which is surprising on the bear target because I didnt have a defiantly spot for point of aim I was guessing on the first one then based my next 2 shots off of the first hole.

Overall I am very happy with the gun. I am not so happy with Marlin or their customer service but all turned out ok. With a dremel tool and some patience you can fix just about anything..

Very nice - what ammo were you shooting?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Comment

Hornady LEVERevolution 325 gr. I am looking forward to using this on the bait station this year.

Comment

Bsj425,

Good to know information. I've wanted that 1895SBL for about 8 months. A few weeks ago I called Marlin and asked when the 1895SBL would be available and they said that they'd be starting a production run in March 2011 (-AKA- now). According the that Customer Service guy the 1895SBL is the hottest selling lever action they make...not just in the 45-70 line, but of all of their lever action rifles; I didn't know that. Well, I called my firearms dealer and placed an order 3 weeks ago just to make sure that I had my place in line to get the new rifle when it's available. Today my dealer called me and confirmed an "estimated" delivery date of 5 weeks from now. (Yeah!!!)

It gives me an additional level of comfort to know that your rifle shoots well. I too hope to have a fairly accurate rifle that works well. Thanks for the info!

AJ
        MyTime

Comment

Where do you live MyTime? Sportsmans warehouse and both Fred Meyer have them in stock In Fairbanks right now In fact they are $100 off at Freds right now for $799. I know it can shoot better than that too this was off hand I was just trying to get the scope close for now I will go back with a rest on one of these upcoming warm afternoons and get it dead on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bsj425 View Post
            Where do you live MyTime?
            I'm stationed at Ft Campbell KY and I live in Clarksville TN. I joined AOD about 6 months ago when I was told my next assignment would be in AK. Things have changed since then and orders to AK are unlikely for my next assignment. (Bummer!)

As for sighting in... yes, a good stable rest will tighten those groups up quite a bit. You should be grinning when you're done that day.

As for the 1895SBL availability in my area...NONE! The 45-70 isn't a popular cartridge around here so the gun stores typically only special order them. There are very few new 45-70's around here and, as I learned, definitely no SBL's to be found.

I'm going to send you a PM.

AJ
            MyTime

Comment

Thanks for sharing the first hand knowledge. I know how frustrated you must be with that assinine Marlin policy. I'm glad you were able to get past that, and have a little fun with the dremel. It's gonna be a shooter, so as long as she keeps shooting that good, I'd keep her around!
              "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

I do believe that Wild West Guns handles Marlin warranty concerns, saving time and money... at least in theory.

Comment

Love the .45-70. I had one in a single-shot H&R Shikari about 12 years ago. It's kind of a weak action, but it shot well with its iron sights. I had a fun load worked up with it using 350 grain Hornady RN. Velocity, according to my old records, was 1355 fps using a minimum charge of Reloader 7. The H&R Shikari was kind of a weak action and I absolutely did not even try to load it hot. I never did shoot anything with it. I made the age old mistake of letting a friend shoot it and then he started making me offers on it. Pretty soon I saw the dollar signs and let it go. I still have the dies and need another one. Next one will probably be in either a TC Contender or Encore barrel, rifle, not pistol. I have nothing against the pistol barrels, I just want it in a rifle.

Gus

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X