Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.44 "SPECIAL" Ammo Question...Light bullet...??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • .44 "SPECIAL" Ammo Question...Light bullet...??

    I am looking for factory loaded cartridges for the .44 "Special" with a light bullet, like 135 grains, slow/low velocity plinking/dinner cartridge. Can you point me in the correct direction...???
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

  • #2
    I've never heard of a factory load that light. I think at one time there were some 180's around, but I haven' seen them in a long time. Could be my lack of looking, though.

    I'd just handload or hire someone to do it. There are custom handloading outfits here in the state, though I can't dredge them up. As for light, I've been real pleased with 240's at around 500 fps. That load shoots lower than heavy loads, and by quite a bit. As light as you're talking you might have to crank the rear sight way up, maybe even get a taller leaf or even shorten the front sight.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

    Comment


    • #3
      I figure to have a 2.5X fixed Leupold for the dinner meat detail, using a light load. I envision only putting on the scope for dinner acquisition. And walk'about with 300+ grain loads and no scope. http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMaga...eets/7408.html So I won't really care about the heavy defense loads point of impact, only the dinner makers.
      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
        I figure to have a 2.5X fixed Leupold for the dinner meat detail, using a light load. I envision only putting on the scope for dinner acquisition. And walk'about with 300+ grain loads and no scope. http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMaga...eets/7408.html So I won't really care about the heavy defense loads point of impact, only the dinner makers.
        I've used 240 SWC in 44 handguns for small game (squirrels & rabbits) and such. I loaded them with enough unique to get 700 fps and they proved dandy out to 25-30 yards. You may find that they work as well as lighter bullets and the heavier bullets are more accessible. Recoil in various 44 mag handguns was/is negligible; I can only suspect it would be all the better in your rifle.
        Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks........do you think they could be loaded safely at a lower fps.....?
          "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
            Thanks........do you think they could be loaded safely at a lower fps.....?
            I've never pushed them slower on purpose, but I suspect that it can be achieved. However I do not think there would be any advantage to it.
            Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
              I've never pushed them slower on purpose, but I suspect that it can be achieved. However I do not think there would be any advantage to it.
              They would be quieter. And the lighter the bullets the less weight 300 cartridges would weigh.
              "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

              Comment


              • #8
                Trail Boss works really well with swaged or cast 240 gr sub sonics around 900 fps. 180's should work as well.
                Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The good news is I was looking in my Midway USA catalog and found: Ten X Ammo makes a 200 gr. .44 Special that only clocks 627 FPS and they have a retailer in Anchorage. I'll start with these and see how loud they are. They should be sub-sonic.
                  "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                    The good news is I was looking in my Midway USA catalog and found: Ten X Ammo makes a 200 gr. .44 Special that only clocks 627 FPS and they have a retailer in Anchorage. I'll start with these and see how loud they are. They should be sub-sonic.
                    Isn't sub-sonic anything under about 1050 fps? I know it depends on elevation but I was pretty sure anywhere in the 900's was sub-sonic.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      JUst come by and get some 240s. we have cases now, pain to get

                      Comment

                      Footer Adsense

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X