X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hunt_ak
    replied
    Originally posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    PM sent with possible contact information.
    Thanks!

I have contacted the wife of Bill Johnson. She said that she did either sell/give away the rifles after his passing, but is asking her son, as he might know where they went. I think its a long shot....however, I did have a wonderful conversation with an elderly lady who knew my Grandfather and heard a few great stories...

Leave a comment:

• patrickL
    replied
    Keep us informed. This is a pretty neat story.

Leave a comment:

• 1Cor15:19
    replied
    PM sent with possible contact information.

Leave a comment:

• jim in anchorage
    replied
    Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Your grandpa had good taste in guns.
    Indeed. Wonder if it was a super grade.

Leave a comment:

• tyrex13
    replied
    My grandpa helped coach some track there. By the sounds of it, my brother or I probably went to school with your wife.

Leave a comment:

• hunt_ak
    replied
    Well I called her.....wrong Connie...

But she knew the Connie I was talking about and gave me the number to Bill Johnson's brother.

Ratchet up the small world-ness.....

My wife calls her Dad because she recognizes the name and sure enough, Bill Johnson's brother lives less than a mile from the in-laws. Calling in the morning for some hopefully (but fairly unlikely) good news...

Leave a comment:

• hunt_ak
    replied
    The saying "its a small world" is alive and well!!

Apparently tyrex13 has either a brother/son/relative that coached my wife when she ran track for Cook Inlet Academy. I also was asking about the daughter of said Bill Johnson, who tyrex13 didn't remember a married name and my wife correctly identified the daughter of Bill Johnson and her married name. I'm hoping to get in touch with her and see what she says.

Looks like I have tracked down the daughter at least...for now...

Leave a comment:

• hunt_ak
    replied
    Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I've got good blood in me...

Leave a comment:

• mainer_in_ak
    replied
    Originally posted by hunt_ak View Post
    My Grandpa lived in the Alaskan bush back in the 50's and had a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H. Alaska_Lanche and I got wind that he had this rifle at one time and likely put many tons of food on the table for their family of 8.

I gather that the rifle had some feeding issues and he traded the rifle for a Remington to a guy named Bill Johnson who, at the time, was living in Port Alsworth. Bill Johnson apparently drowned in a plane crash flying from Port Alsworth to Kenai along with 3 counselors from a kids camp when they ran out of fuel.

Evidently Bill Johnson was survived by a son and a daughter. If this story may ring a bell with anyone or any of the names involved, let me know. I'd like to see if we might be able to track down this 'family heirloom' if possible.

Leave a comment:

• hunt_ak
    replied
    Originally posted by tyrex13 View Post
    PM sent. .................................................. .............................
    Thanks! I've got a message in with a contact who attended CIA recently...maybe she can shed some light on it!
    Originally posted by ADfields View Post
    Yup, gotta love Alaska! Iím betting the gun gets tracked down . . . either way some friends are likely to be made along the trail.
    I'm hoping too...that would be really neat!

Leave a comment:

• hunt_ak
    replied
    Originally posted by tyrex13 View Post
    PM sent. .................................................. .............................
    Thanks! I've got a message in with a contact who attended CIA recently...maybe she can shed some light on it!
    Originally posted by ADfields View Post
    Yup, gotta love Alaska! Iím betting the gun gets tracked down . . . either way some friends are likely to be made along the trail.
    I'm hoping too...that would be really neat!

Leave a comment:

• ADfields
    replied
    Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Only in Alaska.

Best of luck to you Kyle.

I have a feeling this thread will bear watching.

Leave a comment:

• tyrex13
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaHippie
    replied
    Only in Alaska.

Best of luck to you Kyle.

I have a feeling this thread will bear watching.

Leave a comment:

• tyrex13
    replied
    It was one camp counselor and 2 kids, one of which was my little sister. I can ask my mom or dad if he remembers who Bill's kids are.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X