Help Finding a 'Long Lost' Rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Finding a 'Long Lost' Rifle?

My Grandpa lived in the Alaskan bush back in the 50's and had a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H. Alaska_Lanche and I got wind that he had this rifle at one time and likely put many tons of food on the table for their family of 8.

I gather that the rifle had some feeding issues and he traded the rifle for a Remington to a guy named Bill Johnson who, at the time, was living in Port Alsworth. Bill Johnson apparently drowned in a plane crash flying from Port Alsworth to Kenai along with 3 counselors from a kids camp when they ran out of fuel.

Evidently Bill Johnson was survived by a son and a daughter. If this story may ring a bell with anyone or any of the names involved, let me know. I'd like to see if we might be able to track down this 'family heirloom' if possible.
    The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

We have a Bill Johnson liveing here in Wrangell thats in his early sixties and born in Alaska.He may be kin to ya'll
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Yes, I remember that. Oddly that has happened three times if my memory is any good. I suggest you look through the Anchorage Daily News archives on the INTERNET.
      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
        We have a Bill Johnson liveing here in Wrangell thats in his early sixties and born in Alaska.He may be kin to ya'll
        Might be worth asking if you happen to see him at the post office or something...

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
        Yes, I remember that. Oddly that has happened three times if my memory is any good. I suggest you look through the Anchorage Daily News archives on the INTERNET.
        I'll see if I can't get an approximate date this may have happened as that might help narrow down things a bit...
        sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Port Alsworth is a very small and religious community. Call Glenn Alsworth.

Comment

Who else would know is Mike Olsolnick, owner of Birchwood Air, out of Merill Field.

Comment

I've got a few connections out that way and will keep hunting for a lead. Thanks AGL....
              sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

It was one camp counselor and 2 kids, one of which was my little sister. I can ask my mom or dad if he remembers who Bill's kids are.

Comment

Only in Alaska.

Best of luck to you Kyle.

I have a feeling this thread will bear watching.
                  Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ― H.S.T.
                  "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

PM sent. .................................................. .............................

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
                      Only in Alaska.

Best of luck to you Kyle.

I have a feeling this thread will bear watching.
                      Yup, gotta love Alaska! Im betting the gun gets tracked down . . . either way some friends are likely to be made along the trail.
                      Andy
                      On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                      Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                      Call/Text 602-315-2406
                      Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by tyrex13 View Post
                        PM sent. .................................................. .............................
                        Thanks! I've got a message in with a contact who attended CIA recently...maybe she can shed some light on it!
                        Originally posted by ADfields View Post
                        Yup, gotta love Alaska! Im betting the gun gets tracked down . . . either way some friends are likely to be made along the trail.
                        I'm hoping too...that would be really neat!
                        sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Originally posted by tyrex13 View Post
                          Thanks! I've got a message in with a contact who attended CIA recently...maybe she can shed some light on it!
                          Originally posted by ADfields View Post
                          I'm hoping too...that would be really neat!
                          sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Originally posted by hunt_ak View Post
                            My Grandpa lived in the Alaskan bush back in the 50's and had a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H. Alaska_Lanche and I got wind that he had this rifle at one time and likely put many tons of food on the table for their family of 8.

I gather that the rifle had some feeding issues and he traded the rifle for a Remington to a guy named Bill Johnson who, at the time, was living in Port Alsworth. Bill Johnson apparently drowned in a plane crash flying from Port Alsworth to Kenai along with 3 counselors from a kids camp when they ran out of fuel.

Evidently Bill Johnson was survived by a son and a daughter. If this story may ring a bell with anyone or any of the names involved, let me know. I'd like to see if we might be able to track down this 'family heirloom' if possible.
                            Your grandpa had good taste in guns.
                            www.freightercanoes.com www.copperheadalaska.com
                            sigpic
                            matnaggewinu

Comment

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
                              Your grandpa had good taste in guns.
                              I've got good blood in me...
                              sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment