Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combined Technology 30 cal 168 grain ???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Combined Technology 30 cal 168 grain ???

    I just received a 50 count order of Combined Technology 30 Cal / 168 Grain Ballistic Silvertip hunting bullets. These are a product of Nosler and Winchester. Over the next few weeks I plan to work on load development for my Savage 308, 12 FVSS. Are they worth a hoot for accuracy or for hunting?

    Thanks for your comments.

    www.midwayusa.com lists them as...
    A state of the art, aerodynamically optimized series of hunting and varmint bullets designed to put unparalleled accuracy, flight performance and long range stability in the hands of the handloader. Ballistic Silvertip Hunting Bullets are designed to provide stellar performance on medium game like antelope, deer and sheep; while Ballistic Silvertip Varmint Bullets are perfect for long range varmint hunting. All bullets feature a polycarbonate tip.

    Technical Information

    Sectional density: 0.252
    Ballistic coefficient: 0.447

    The Nosler sight info is at...
    http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/Combined-Technology.aspx
    MyTime

  • #2
    They are basically identical to the Ballistic Tip with a "Lubalox" (oxidized) coating. I used the 115 gr 25 cal in my 25-06 on antelope once and it worked well. Left a golf ball sized exit hole on a double lung shot.

    -Mark
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

    Comment


    • #3
      I used some of the 180gr CT Accubonds in Winchester factory ammo... my rifle just flat didn't like them for some reason and I stopped experimenting right there. I believe it is the Lubalox coating because the rifle shoots plain ABs less than MOA. Don't really know- I didn't reload at the time so I may have been able to tweak the powder or OAL and get them to shoot better. I probably try them again as a component bullet.

      As far as performance on game goes, I wouldn't expect anything different than a normal Accubond or Ballistic Tip. Those have a reasonably well developed reputation. My experience with both has been very good. ABs on caribou and BT on smallish whitetails.
      "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
        I used some of the 180gr CT Accubonds in Winchester factory ammo... my rifle just flat didn't like them for some reason and I stopped experimenting right there. I believe it is the Lubalox coating because the rifle shoots plain ABs less than MOA. Don't really know- I didn't reload at the time so I may have been able to tweak the powder or OAL and get them to shoot better. I probably try them again as a component bullet.

        As far as performance on game goes, I wouldn't expect anything different than a normal Accubond or Ballistic Tip. Those have a reasonably well developed reputation. My experience with both has been very good. ABs on caribou and BT on smallish whitetails.
        Interesting, maybe it was just the factory ammo or a finicky rifle? I shot mine through a Sendero, which shot everything well... factory and handloads. I worked up some 110 AB's and the 115 BST's edged them out slightly in accuracy @ sub .5 MOA @ 200 yds. 4 out of 5 in one group measured less than 1/2" (200 yds), the 5th got blown out by a gust of wind.
        "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
        ~ John Quincy Adams

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MyTime View Post
          I just received a 50 count order of Combined Technology 30 Cal / 168 Grain Ballistic Silvertip hunting bullets. These are a product of Nosler and Winchester. Over the next few weeks I plan to work on load development for my Savage 308, 12 FVSS. Are they worth a hoot for accuracy or for hunting?
          I can't comment on the .30's, but the CT bullets shoot amazingly in my .270 (130's) usually cloverleaf groups at 100 yd. Performance on deer has been fantastic (i.e. the deer all died within a few yds.) but they rarely exit in my experience and are usually just under the offside hide. I prefer an exit wound in case of a less than ideal shot and the need to track, but so far they have done great.

          I never have understood how they are always cheaper than the regular Nosler BT's though. You'd think they'd be more expensive considering the extra step of coating them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hey everyone, thanks for the comments! In a week or so I'll start loading a few test rounds to see what I can do with it.

            AJ
            MyTime

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
              Interesting, maybe it was just the factory ammo or a finicky rifle? I shot mine through a Sendero, which shot everything well... factory and handloads. I worked up some 110 AB's and the 115 BST's edged them out slightly in accuracy @ sub .5 MOA @ 200 yds. 4 out of 5 in one group measured less than 1/2" (200 yds), the 5th got blown out by a gust of wind.
              The rifle isn't generally finicky but I've had poorer results from bullets that deviate from the standard "cup and core with gilding metal" design... Didn't like the coated ABs and definately doesn't like the TSX. Everything else has been stellar.
              "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

              Comment

              Footer Adsense

              Collapse
              Working...
              X