Long distance shooting range in AK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long distance shooting range in AK?

Does anyone know of a place in South Central AK one could shoot (in a range type setting) past 800m? I have several larger bore rifles I'd like to work out. (.338 Lapua Mag, .416 Barrett & 408 CheyTac) Hell I'd settle for 600m.

Go varmit hunting, or if you're active/ex-military look into Ft. Richardson's range. Otherwise the longest public range in Anchorage area is Birchwood at 200m. Funny, I was just talking about this with someone who moved up from WA and he couldn't believe it.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Comment

Brichwood has 300 meters

Comment

Thank you Kenneth

Comment

Down here ia Soldotna the snowshoe gun club has a 500yd range. When I want to stretch out one of my rifles I will take my wheeler to a power line somewhere make sure of a safe back drop and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildalaska View Post
            Brichwood has 300 meters
            "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
            ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Jahmby View Post
              Does anyone know of a place in South Central AK one could shoot (in a range type setting) past 800m? I have several larger bore rifles I'd like to work out. (.338 Lapua Mag, .416 Barrett & 408 CheyTac) Hell I'd settle for 600m.
              I know a few LR Alaske shooters, if you like I can get you in contact with them.
              "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
              ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

I've often wondered about this

I've often wondered about the lack of a long distance range here. Perhaps it's the pragmatic attitude of most Alaskan hunters about not taking long pot shots at game animals. I see those guys whacking critters at 1000 yards with .338s and such and it kind of makes me cringe. But, I suppose it'd be good to have the practice and the capability to be able to thin out predators. It'd have to be a great gravel bar or something. Most folks have a name around here for a cleared out patch of land a thousand meters long... runway!

Comment

Alaska Rifle Club sponsors 600 yd shooting at Fort Rich and 1000 yd shooting at Fort Greely under NRA and CMP auspices. Pulled targets so you get real time feed back. We punch holes in paper and shoot for score. NRA/CMP rules govern

All are welcome.

see www.akrifleclub.com

Come out and shoot.

R/Allen
                  Last edited by allen-ak; 02-28-2011, 13:12. Reason: fat fingers

Comment

yeah you can shoot 1,000 at Greelys Colorado KD range.

Comment

Originally posted by 0321Tony View Post
                      Down here ia Soldotna the snowshoe gun club has a 500yd range. When I want to stretch out one of my rifles I will take my wheeler to a power line somewhere make sure of a safe back drop and go from there.
                      Snowshoe actually goes out to 600 yards at the trees. I like shooting the steel sheep at 535 yards!
                      An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Comment

That would be great Thanks let me know how they'd like to converse (email, cell etc)

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
                          I know a few LR Alaske shooters, if you like I can get you in contact with them.
                          That would be great Thanks let me know how they'd like to converse (email, cell etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Jahmby View Post
                            PM sent....
                            ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

I have not sent a round downrange at Rabbit Creek Rifle Range for some years now, but there is or was iron silloutettes at 300-400-500 and 600yards there, the drawback is/was that nothing exceeding a .30-06' was allowed to be fired at them. the last time I fired at them was 25 years or so ago, they may no longer exist, a phone call would answer the question though.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X