Bear Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Protection

I am hiking into my cabin, haven't been there since last summer. I am 5"4 and not very heavy....what kind of gun/rifle would you recommend, that would stop a grizzly dead. Hand gun/verses rifle? weight, not spendy......
    Any advise would be appreciated.......

12 gauge

You might try a Mossberg Model 500 with folding stock. I picked one up at a pawn shop for a little over $100. Mine has a sling and is very handy to carry. I don't favor handguns for bear protection in Alaska.

-Mike
    Michael Strahan
    Site Owner
    Alaska Hunt Consultant
    1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

?

This kind of question will give you 100's of opinions. My advice is what do you allready have? Does if make you feel safer while caring it? Than stick with it. If you don't have anything yet. What can you get to give you the most bang for your buck or get the most use out of it. If you also plan on big game hunting treat yourself to a 30-06 or somthing along those lines.If you also want to get into birdhunting get a shotgun.Or are you wanting just a little peace of mind out in the woods and in town? Get yourself a handgun and shot the snot outof it atleast you will have some fun. Horse

Comment

I've got to agree with Mike, a 12 ga full of slugs and/or buckshot for the first round would be a good bear deterent. A folding stock is ok but at your height and weight, you better darn well have time to unfold the stock. A rem 870 can be hand at a reasonable price with a short barrel.

Comment

Bear guns

Imagine,

The best way to stop a grizzly is with a well placed shot from a large caliber rifle. This can be done with a large caliber handgun but requires a great deal more skill and fortitude than than most can muster. The esiest gun to shoot well, under periods of mild stress, is a shotgun. A shotgun also requires less training (practice) than either a rifle or a handgun to gain profeciency. It is not more effective than adequate caliber of either just easier to hit with and therefore essentially more effective, given the human element.

If you are not a shooter and are looking for advice as to what to buy for protection against bears, you probably should have made the purchase some weeks back and practiced up. If you are a hunter, carry what you hunt with.
          If you are not an accomplished shot with a handgun, cross that off your list.
          If you are relatively new to guns but still feel the need and want one I would recommend the Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun with18" barrel and a fixed stock. It is about $300 and lightweight and points very well. Also get a little training from someone with experience with a combat shotgun. Use 600 grain Breneke slugs and wait for a close shot then always shoot twice.
          Good shootin'.

Murphy
          Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Comment

Marlin Guide Gun In 45-70

I have a Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 just for that purpose. Went on a canoe trip up in the Noatak 2 years ago and saw 21 brown bears in 7 days. Some closer than I would prefer. I came home and bought a guide gun. I am going back in the area this Aug for 13 day canoe/fishing trip and will have that and a S&W model 500 with 4" barrel. Both with Buffalo Bore brand ammo. Powerful stuff. I could not recommend it high enough. Overall length 37 " and weighs 7lbs.
            The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

I recently bought a Winchester 1300 Defender to carry on hikes and for protection around the house. I shoot Brenekke's Dangerous game slugs and feel at 20 yards and under the bear won't know what hit him or her.

Comment

winchester 1300 scabbard

I SEE WHERE AKHUNTER SAID HE GOT A WIN 1300. JUST MADE ME THINK OF SOMETHING I RECENTLY SAW. IT IS A HANDMADE LEATHER SHOULDER CARRY SYSTEM FOR A 1300 WITH PISTOL GRIP. SUPER NICE STUFF. MADE IN CANADA BY A SADDLESMITH. WEBSITE IS WWW.OKANAGANSADDLERY.COM TOP OF THE LINE STUFF. ON THE MAIN PAGE GO TO SCABBARDS AND IT IS AT THE BOTTOM. ALSO MAKES BACKPACK SCABBARDS FOR LEVER ACTION RIFLES. AWESOME LOOKING STUFF. BUT TAKE LIKE 8 WEEKS TO GET PRODUCT. ALL HAND MADE.
                The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

gun

a shotgun is very handy. i have a mossberg 590 with mmc ghost ring sights. I will be getting a guide gun soon that i will peep and i believe those are very handy in the brush. my favorite is my 375hh sako. it has a 20 inch barrel, teflon coat, and its peeped. I love it when i crack a shot with that gun

Comment

I'll stick with the 45/70. I dont trust shotguns. I've seen alot of slugs that were taken from dead bears from shotguns that were in the bears for years and I'm not to impressed. grant it most are fosters. If you use a really good modern slug a shotgun can be a formidiable weapon.

Like I said my wife has a pile of old slugs and some rifle bullets that have been in bears for a long time that she found while fleshing the hides.

Whatever you decide practice, your skin may (I hope not) depend on it.

Comment

Buckshot?

When I was growing up in Anchorage I remember several debates about whether the "camp gun" should be loaded with 00 buck or slugs. Debates centered around deterrence vs. killing power, chance of missing (given the panic element), stopping power, and the like.

My dad decided that, since his shotgun held 5 rounds, the best solution to the argument was to alternate big buckshot and slugs, and keep shooting 'till the shotgun was empty.

I'm pleased and proud to report that he never had the chance to test his theory. It made sense to me, and that's what I do with the 11-87 when I'm camping with my kids. I just hope I never have to find out whether or not it was a good choice...

Comment

To the 00 debate, realize a single 00 pelet has about the same killing power as a 32 acp pistol. So the hope your lack of accarucy will be saved by a magic pellet is a very foolish approach. Most slugs lack penetration. The only way to kill a bear is to accurately place your shot, not spray and pray. A real bear attack will allow you one shot at best. What would you stake your life on if you had only one shot?

If you're going to carry a long gun, make it a rifle, the bigger the better.
                        Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

12 gauge with Brenecke slugs

The Long gun does have the potential to be a better platform than a shotgun, but... An 870 with 18" barrel and 7 shots can be had for under $300 new. A suitable rifle cannot. That makes it affordable to take anywhere anytime as I would not do with a rifle I liked. The large Brenecke slugs are hardened and will penetrate right up with a 45-70. I would not recommend buckshot or other slugs, but feel for the money the 12 gauge with Breneckes is as good an option as anything. I read about the mauling this weak near Homer and guess what the officer took back to the scene of the mauling to kill the bear.
                          Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Comment

If guy is not good with a rifle, less accurate with....

shotgun. Most shotguns don't have sights. buckshot is or can be almost useless on large bears (Browns), so slugs are the way to go for a shotgun. If without sights only as accurate as shooter is at pointing well. Rifle, even used a pointing like a shotgun at close range is better than shotgun. I would recommend 45-70 in lever gun. If one does not shoot alot and well with a large caliber handgun and I mean lose the male ego portion of "I can shoot a handgun really well" then leave it unless it is a stuff in his neck as he bites you gun.

I don't claim to know much...I have shoot hundreds if not thousands of rounds of combat shotgun of the years and used one in my old line of work before coming up here. To be truely good (accurate) with a shotgun with slugs can be harder than using a rifle. There is a reason shotgun manufacturers are putting sights and rifling in their shotguns used for deer and other larger game (non-bird of course).

By far, I would recommend a Marlin guide gun in 45-70. I would also recommend practicing with it and being very familar with the safety.

Just my two cents.

Comment

I'd go with a 45-70, I carry a Co-Pilot($$). If you prefer the shotgun then I would recommend looking into the "Dixie Slugs" these rounds are strickly for dangerous game. I have shot them and they are brutal but will kill anything walking. Just my opinion.

BG
                              BG

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X