X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gspman
    replied
    REM700 XCR mods are done

Sorry folks its been too long in replying...

Here is my report of my mods, and the report is good.

I have the bobby hart stock with accublock installed and i also added a jewell trigger (i just couldn't get the stock trigger adjusted to my liking) (minor trim work on the stock required with the dremel)

It is set to 1lb (factory)and next to zero overtravel. I plan on extending the overtravel adjustment some to account for dwell time but i think i will adjust nothing more at this time.

My zero is set to 200 yds, i am averaging less than .9in spread for a 3 shot group at 200. Needless to say i am impressed with the results.
    roud:
    Of course this is on bags, at a range, (with barrel cooling time between groups) with a decent bench.
    It has shown no stringing since the stock change.

So i bought this rifle used with less than 100 rounds down the tube for $350, $204 for the stock, $206 for the trigger , ~$525 for the scope and i believe i have a pretty decent semi custom shooter.

It weighs in at 10.5 lbs (bathroom scale)

I have not had an opportunity to dial in the cds scope at long ranges yet, looking fwd to getting up north to do so asap.
    I have been shooting rem cor lokts and fusion ammo in 165 and 180 grn weights. not alot of sources of different ammo nearby, the rifle doesn't seem to care...at least between those 2 mfgs

Unfortunately i have run out of budget to replace my reloading gear till prolly next year.

I am pretty happy all around although it s the most i have ever spent on a hunting rifle.

gspman

Leave a comment:

• gspman
    replied
    REM700 XCR mods are done

Sorry folks its been too long in replying...

Here is my report of my mods, and the report is good.

I have the bobby hart stock with accublock installed and i also added a jewell trigger (i just couldn't get the stock trigger adjusted to my liking) (minor trim work on the stock required with the dremel)

It is set to 1lb (factory)and next to zero overtravel. I plan on extending the overtravel adjustment some to account for dwell time but i think i will adjust nothing more at this time.

My zero is set to 200 yds, i am averaging less than .9in spread for a 3 shot group at 200. Needless to say i am impressed with the results.
    roud:
    Of course this is on bags, at a range, (with barrel cooling time between groups) with a decent bench.
    It has shown no stringing since the stock change.

So i bought this rifle used with less than 100 rounds down the tube for $350, $204 for the stock, $206 for the trigger , ~$525 for the scope and i believe i have a pretty decent semi custom shooter.

It weighs in at 10.5 lbs (bathroom scale)

I have not had an opportunity to dial in the cds scope at long ranges yet, looking fwd to getting up north to do so asap.
    I have been shooting rem cor lokts and fusion ammo in 165 and 180 grn weights. not alot of sources of different ammo nearby, the rifle doesn't seem to care...at least between those 2 mfgs

Unfortunately i have run out of budget to replace my reloading gear till prolly next year.

I am pretty happy all around although it s the most i have ever spent on a hunting rifle.

gspman

Leave a comment:

• Daved
    replied
    I have shot 4 new remington rifles in the last several years, 2 mine, 2 buddies. All of them had to have work done to the stock, either floating it, bedding it or replacing it. I replaced both of mine. I cracked my 300 RUM XCR stock at the range on a led sled. Another consideration in a push feed rifle for Dangerous game situations. I have heard the REM 700 action is not a favorite compared to a positive feed type action. That being said, I have no problems with any of mine so long as they remain reasonably clean.

Have you looked at the Ruger Alaskan series in 375 HH, 375 Ruger and now 416 Ruger? I have shot a buddies 375 Ruger and really like the Ruger action, and Hogue stock. The 375 Ruger is fun to reload for and shot about an inch. I am thinking of getting the 416 Ruger as my overbore gun if I take to shooting a brown bear this year. Good luck with the 375 quest. This is a good time of year to find a good deal on a new gun.

Leave a comment:

• Eastwoods
    replied
    Originally posted by gspman View Post
    I bought a used rem700 xcr 300win mag, put a leupold 4.5x14x40. Bore sighted it and went to the range. Using remington 180 gn core lokt i got 11/2 groups at a hundred. But then it start stringin vertically..I do not like the stock at all. I am going to replace it with a Bobby Hart AccuBlock Long Range Sporter (LRS) Remington 700 BDL SPS Laminated Thumbhole FBC Riflestock in granite grey. This stock looks real good to me, It comes with a aluminum bedding block and pillers installed as well.
    I am hoping that improves thing a great deal. The factory stock feels like it flex's under recoil..Do not believe it to be stiff enough.
    I am planning on starting reloading again this summer or after xmas and tax's are paid anyway.

Don't get me wrong the action is as smooth as butter and points like a dream with a 26" tube.

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know if the stock tightens your groups.

Leave a comment:

• gspman
    replied
    I bought a used rem700 xcr 300win mag, put a leupold 4.5x14x40. Bore sighted it and went to the range. Using remington 180 gn core lokt i got 11/2 groups at a hundred. But then it start stringin vertically..I do not like the stock at all. I am going to replace it with a Bobby Hart AccuBlock Long Range Sporter (LRS) Remington 700 BDL SPS Laminated Thumbhole FBC Riflestock in granite grey. This stock looks real good to me, It comes with a aluminum bedding block and pillers installed as well.
    I am hoping that improves thing a great deal. The factory stock feels like it flex's under recoil..Do not believe it to be stiff enough.
    I am planning on starting reloading again this summer or after xmas and tax's are paid anyway.

Don't get me wrong the action is as smooth as butter and points like a dream with a 26" tube.

Leave a comment:

• MyTime
    replied
    Originally posted by dad11345 View Post
    My next will be in 300 Win Mag, but it will have to wait untill after the first of the year.
    dad11345,

Did you know that Remington has a $100.00 rebate for XCR II rifles purchased before 31 Dec 2010? Just thought that you might want to know if you didn't already know.

Leave a comment:

• Alaskacajun
    replied
    Originally posted by jzombie View Post
    I found a 375 ultra mag xcr rem 700 looking to buy any thoughts on it..i got a 338 win mag and im fine with the recoil how is the 375??
    thanks
    The 375 RUM recoil is pretty violent with a 21" barrel and 300 gr Barnes TSX handloads... I've never shot factory ammo through it, so I can't speak about that. But the first time I shot this rifle, the bolt handle came back and skinned my trigger finger. I hold onto the rifle a lot better now!

- Clint

Leave a comment:

• gogoalie
    replied
    The 375 H&H is a tad light fer blacktails, ya might wanna bump it up to a 416...

Leave a comment:

• boliep
    replied
    I bought a Remington 700 XCR in 375 H&H a little over a year ago. It has been a very good rifle. I could not stand the junky synthetic stock so I found a CDL long action magnum stock online and added that. Both of the stocks have the R3 recoil pad. The rifle actually shoots better groups with the wood stock. No bedding has been done so I attribute the slightly better groups to a stiffer stock.

You asked if anyone have any experience with the Nosler Partition 300 grain bullets. I have fired only Federal ammo in this rifle, both in 300 Partition and 260 accubond. Both rounds shot comparable groups. I could not tell any difference in recoil between the two.

Recoil is very subjective. To me the recoil is not objectionable. I have tried firing it both with the Past Pad and with just a shirt sleeve between the R3 pad and my shoulder. From the bench I would suggest using a pad of some sort just to help with the groups. If you are recoil sensitive, you probably do not need the magnum anyway.

MarineHawk I have an old Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag that I bought new in 1971. To me it is a much prettier and better made rifle than the XCR is. The XCR is much better looking with the wood stock than the way it came. Both rifles will shoot under an inch at 100 yards if I do my part. My normal groups are an inch to inch and a half at 100 yards with either rifle. Others could probably do better with them than I do but that is just me.

Leave a comment:

• jzombie
    replied
    I found a 375 ultra mag xcr rem 700 looking to buy any thoughts on it..i got a 338 win mag and im fine with the recoil how is the 375??
    thanks

I got one last year chambered in .375 RUM. I had the barrel chopped down to 21" and ordered 100 brass and some Barnes TSX's. I've put nearly 100 rounds through it and love it! I like the Limbsaver R3 recoil pad it comes with.

I did a thread about my rifle....
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=Remington

- Clint[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• scowley
    replied
    gone downhill....no-way

I have several Rem 700's and the XCR I bought last year in 300wm is a fantastic rifle IMO. I can't get over the low felt recoil on it.

My Model 7 7-08 kicks noticably harder.

Leave a comment:

• MarineHawk
    replied
    More generally, has Remington gone downhill? I'm asking because I have a 22-year old 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag, and it has been a great, accurate, and perfectly-reliable rifle to this day. But I seem to hear a lot more criticism than praise of their newer rifles.

Leave a comment:

• idb
    replied
    heavy recoil in 270

The XCR kicks like a mule in 270 chambering.

Leave a comment:

• idb
    replied
    exteremely inaccurate

Hi guys, I got an XCR in 270 for Christmas last year and am extremely disappointed. The gun handles well and the action is smooth. That is where the good news ends. I haven not been able to sight it in properly, since it loses its zero after a few shots. The first shots go in the general direction. But, as soon as the barrel heats up just a bit the bullets will spray all over the place. Since whitetails in South Carolina are on the tiny side I had to switch to my TC encore for the real hunting. Ammo changes made no difference. Boresighting did not help either.

Leave a comment:

• Alaskacajun
    replied

I got one last year chambered in .375 RUM. I had the barrel chopped down to 21" and ordered 100 brass and some Barnes TSX's. I've put nearly 100 rounds through it and love it! I like the Limbsaver R3 recoil pad it comes with.

I did a thread about my rifle....
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=Remington

- Clint

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X