Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vance in AK
    replied
    Here's a post from a handgun hunting sight I frequent (handgunhunt.com). The gun used is a modified Remington XP-100 handgun.

Long-range with the 7 Dakota
    #19900 - 11/21/06 09:03 AM (207.200.116.74) Edit Reply Quote
    Just got back from our CO elk/deer hunt, and it was very successful for us. Ernie had a buck permit we didn't fill, but he wanted to get back to Pueblo to hunt coyotes for a day or so.

The 1st day was a little rough to say the least. We were seeing/chasing game all over the place, and finally after putting on more than a few rugged miles we were in our old spot we affectionately call the "1st knob," that gives us a pretty good elevated spot to galss from. We spotted a herd of elk on a snow-covered no.-facing slope way down again, and we just looked at each other, groaned, and took off after them. We got to a shooting spot that overlooked the slope they were bedded on, and got set up for the shot. I had my portable Big Eyes set up on a backpackable tripod, and had a teeerrrific view of them. RX4 Leupold laser gave 666 LOS yds. to the tgt., and 655 slant-range yds. Kestral gave 4-8 mph wind, and Ernie obtained the targeting solution from his Dell Axim with Exbal loaded using the BIG 200 gr. ULD Wildcat bullet @ 2700 fps mv, and got set up for the 666 yd. shot. At the shot the cow just rolled over with it's head twitching here and there, and after a few seconds i told him to send another favoring wind a couple more inches or so, as i though it may have been a neck shot (turned out to be a high shoulder shot tho.) Second bullet centered her chest, and she seemed to have actually expired just before he sent the 2nd shot downrange anyway. Terrific downrange performance for sure. What a day!!!

2 days later after packing her out a couple miles, we were in a new spot, that was just off the road, but looked like it had potential. After hiking in up a steep slope, i thought it had some good glassing potential especially in sparsely-treed, typically overlooked no.-facing slopes. So i went back down to get Ernie who was waiting back at the truck. We grabbed our gear then and headed up and up, and up again to the top. When we got there Ernie immediately spotted a couple does across a valley in another no.-facing snow-covered slope at a lasered 597 yds. We elected to take the lower animal, and got set up for the shot again. Same system as before. Ernie checked wind, and range, plugged it into Exbal, and it gave a targeting solution using Ernie's big old handgun again (i'd hurt my back several months ago, and couldn't carry all my gear/gun up as usual). BUT I SCREWED UP ROYALLY, and applied windage the wrong way with the reticle. Oh well-- so much for screwups. Crap happens, i guess. At the shot the doe jumped forward and when i figured out what i did wrong, i set up again with the correct windage correction, and nailed her just an inch or so too far back. But she slid down hurting badly giving me a back shot, as she was now facing up and down the steep slope. I fired again and the bullet passed thru her just to the left of the backbone, and exited out her side. She dropped and rolled down the slope about 10 yds. or so dead. When we finally got to her turns out "she" was actually a yearling buck with no antlers-- OK, of course with an "antlerless" permit. It'll be good eating for sure, and wife Vicky likes that part. Man what a time we had, i tell ya'.

--------------------
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Boomer.1
    replied
    338 ultra mag

Very nice shot.....what do they taste like...the boo's that is...LOL....how cold was it that day..looks cold as hell....

Boomer

Leave a comment:

• AlleninAlaska
    replied
    Boomer the 467 yard shot that I mention in my upper post was done with the 300 RUM and 150 grain Swift Sciroccos. That same day I did another Caribou at 443 yards.

Here is a picture of the 443 yard Caribou.

Leave a comment:

• Boomer.1
    replied
    338 Ultra Mag

Think this would be a flat shooter and capable of one shot drops on moose/elk/bear out to 400-500 yards with the right bullet..the age of ultra mags /short mags....etc...they all seem redundant at times with miniscual realistic differences...I have not bought a new rifle for years now..with the last being a model 700 -7mm mag. I looked at a Sendero in a 300 ultra mag today....very nice shooter... your thoughts..????? I tend to like longer shots with bigger guns..within reason....

Boomer

Leave a comment:

• AlleninAlaska
    replied
    8X57 check out the different Ballistic charts on this page.

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculati...culations.html

Also buy yourself a copy of the following 2 books and then do a lot of practice at the ranges you would like too shoot at/up too.

The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy by Glenn Newick.

Pejsa's Handbook of New Precision Ballistics by Arthur Pejsa.

Both are very good books.

1/2 MOA at 1,000 yards is 5.25" groups.

At 1,000 yards the wind will not have as much effect on the bullet as it does at the muzzle. By the time the bullet gets to 1,000 yards it has stabalized where at the muzzle it has not had time to stabalize yet.

I have shot just under 3/4 MOA at 600 yards with my 50 BMG.
    Last edited by AlleninAlaska; 11-18-2006, 19:36.

Leave a comment:

• 8x57 Mauser
    replied
    Here's what I don't get about these shots at extreme ranges:

1000 yards is 3000 feet.

These fellas seem to have their bullets leaving the barrel at 3000 fps (give or take).

If we pretend the bullet loses no velocity flying downrange (something we know to be untrue), it would take a full second to reach its target. In reality we're looking at significantly more time than that.

That kind of flight time gives a target animal plenty of time to move, doesn't it? I mean, more than enough time for an ethically placed killing shot to become a gut shot or other wounding loss without the animal going far.

And given that 1/2 minute of angle accuracy (assuming the shooter can adjust perfectly for any wind drift - big assumption) is quite a few inches at 1000 yards, I just don't understand how it's done.

Do people shoot only at bedded animals?

I don't claim to know what's involved in this kind of shooting. Can somebody explain it?

Leave a comment:

• Ak Steve
    replied
    long range

I do personally know one indivual capable of 1000 yard shots. I am also quite certain the range was not merely hyperbole. He prefered a Remington Sendero, with some work done to it, chambered in .300 Win Mag. He is an exceptional marksman, but was not above losing a match due to a tumbling projectile. THat makes me wonder about the wisdom of shooting game at that distance.
    This particular individual is not alone, as the U.S. Navy fieldes a handful of such exceptional shots on their match teams. Most of them are SEALs, and snipers, to boot.

Leave a comment:

• DR B
    replied
    1000 yds

All it takes is the right rifle and pratice

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthrea...rue#Post114545

DR B

Leave a comment:

• DR B
    replied
    Long

The guy in this post is Kirby Allen one of the best long range shoots and gunsmiths in North America. Check out his rifle Black Sunshine.

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthrea...=&fpart=1&vc=1

DR B

Leave a comment:

• Snyd
    replied
    Hmmm. If it was ranged at 700 yds actual distance and the shot was uphill at 45 degrees the bullet trajectory would have "thought" the yardage was less. If you were able to take the shooter and the ram and stick them in thier postions and flatten the terrain between them, the yardage would be less than 700 yds. Either way though, sounds like it was a miracle shot.

Leave a comment:

• J in AK
    replied
    I saw a ram get killed at well over 700 yards and 45 degrees uphill, this past year. Talk about a miracle.
    300 SAUM was the caliber.

Leave a comment:

• AlleninAlaska
    replied
    Dan Lilja from Lilja Barrels used to hunt Elk at Long Range. No shots were taken under 800 yards. It's all in the equipment and the amount of practice one does. Dan used the 338'378 WBY for his shooting. WWII range finders, shooting bench were all taken out in the field for this shooting. Boyd Heaton from PA. does a lot of long range shooting for whitetails in PA. I have a friend in VA that is a long range varmint shooter. Practice and equipment make it all possible.

Of course somebody here accused me of being unethical for shooting Caribou at a measley 467 yards. But I have the equipment and do the practice needed for those shots.

Leave a comment:

• Snyd
    replied
    Another Montana Boy

Originally posted by Vance in AK View Post
    hey Snyd, how long have you been up here?
    We left Kenai & movet to Hamilton MT. for 5 yrs but came back here 4 yrs ago. I do miss the elk hunting down there!
    Hey Vance,
    I moved to Fairbanks from Missoula in 1992. I actually was living in Lolo when I moved up here. My folks still live in Missoula. Worked at Bitterroot Motors for 8 or 9 years. Boy, that Bitterrrot Valley is really grown now. I miss the elk and whitetail hunting but love hunting in Alaska.

Leave a comment:

• DPhillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Boomer.1 View Post
    A quick look at there webpage shows some used systems for sale and one of them was a 7mm/404 express.......would that be comparable to a 30/378 ?? Those cartridges look huge.......

Boomer
    The 7mm/404 would be similar to the 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum.

Leave a comment:

• Boomer.1
    replied
    calibers....????

A quick look at there webpage shows some used systems for sale and one of them was a 7mm/404 express.......would that be comparable to a 30/378 ?? Those cartridges look huge.......

Boomer

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X