Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30-06 & New Lots of Powder Can Be Trying

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 30-06 & New Lots of Powder Can Be Trying

    Sometimes new lots of powder can present all kinds of problems for the reloader and one thing for sure GB300Win was correct when he said, "I would groan every time I had to go to a new lot of powder." Man was that ever a descriptive statement.

    My 358Win really loved that first pound of AA2495BR that GB300Win gave me to try. I would get 2480fps out of it and you all know how accurate the stuff was. Well, Jerry also gave me eight pounds of AA2495BR, new, never opened and it was a different lot than the first.

    Well it was as accurate as the first pound he gave me, but would only give me 2330-2360fps. It was 4.85% cooler than the initial pound Jerry gave me to try. I had to develop new loads using Varget and IMR4320 that gave 1/2" to 3/4" groups with velocities of 2478fps-2510fps. So when I run out of that first pound of AA2495BR I will have good go to loads for my 358Win.

    I have found a use for this eight pounds of AA2495BR. I will be using it in my 30-06 that I have been working with. This 06 has caused me to have patience but I always believed I could get it to shoot good without doing anything to the rifle. It is a good out of the box shooter.

    POP ran his program and it said that with a 165gr bullet 51grs and above was dangerous. I have been able to get this lot of powder with a 165gr bullet to 52grs of powder and no flattened primers, no mark bases of brass and no over expanded brass bases.

    51grs-52grs of AA2495BR brass


    Here are the results of the day:


    50.5grs just over an inch


    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  • #2
    Continued pictures of today's results.

    51grs just under 3/4"




    51.5grs 1/2"


    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

    Comment


    • #3
      more pictures






      52grs .832"


      A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
      THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
      THE HEART OF A CHILD
      THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

      Comment


      • #4
        52.5grs I put two through the same hole and threw the third but new I did. Will test that load again. Here are the fps of 52.5grs
        A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
        THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
        THE HEART OF A CHILD
        THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

        Comment


        • #5
          BT, I never weary or get bored with your threads. I pick up a lot of experience and insight from your efforts and thanks for sharing them

          Oh yeah.... uhhh... when ya gonna get a 300 WSM???
          "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
          ~ John Quincy Adams

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
            BT, I never weary or get bored with your threads. I pick up a lot of experience and insight from your efforts and thanks for sharing them

            Oh yeah.... uhhh... when ya gonna get a 300 WSM???
            I was going to put a super charger on my 06 and if I can figure that out and get it done I won't need a 300WSM
            A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
            THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
            THE HEART OF A CHILD
            THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by beartooth View Post
              I was going to put a super charger on my 06 and if I can figure that out and get it done I won't need a 300WSM
              Make sure you are wearing your eye protection eh....
              "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
              ~ John Quincy Adams

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
                Make sure you are wearing your eye protection eh....
                Good point, of course you know I am kidding about the turbo charger or making my 06 do anything other than it was designed for. I like the 06 because of bullet choice and weight variety from 110 to 250 and you know on previous post on this forum, I have worked up loads for my 06's with 125, 150, 165, 168, 180, 190, 200, 220, 240 and 250. This load development along with killing game through the years with all but the 190gr bullet is why I like the 06.
                A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                THE HEART OF A CHILD
                THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by beartooth View Post
                  Good point, of course you know I am kidding about the turbo charger or making my 06 do anything other than it was designed for. I like the 06 because of bullet choice and weight variety from 110 to 250 and you know on previous post on this forum, I have worked up loads for my 06's with 125, 150, 165, 168, 180, 190, 200, 220, 240 and 250. This load development along with killing game through the years with all but the 190gr bullet is why I like the 06.
                  Yup, I knew you were kiddin'

                  Actually, I dont remember you working up loads for 125 and 250 gr bullets? How does the standard 10 twist work on the 240 and 250 gr bullets?

                  I do rember you working your magic on the Weatherby and getting excellent velocity oput of it and the velocity in this Ruger is looking real good too.

                  Keep up the good work
                  "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
                  ~ John Quincy Adams

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
                    Yup, I knew you were kiddin'

                    Actually, I dont remember you working up loads for 125 and 250 gr bullets? How does the standard 10 twist work on the 240 and 250 gr bullets?

                    I do rember you working your magic on the Weatherby and getting excellent velocity oput of it and the velocity in this Ruger is looking real good too.

                    Keep up the good work
                    I did 125gr Sierra game king that I used on coyote and deer but did not show results just mentioned in passing by. I did show some results of 240gr Woodleigh in 300wby and my 30-06 Kimber Montana. The 250grs were recorded data I mentioned in passing that I did years ago with Barnes 250gr originals. Some of these were mentioned on other's threads as a post.
                    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                    THE HEART OF A CHILD
                    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What velocities can you get with the 250 in the 30/06?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Proud American View Post
                        What velocities can you get with the 250 in the 30/06?

                        Out of a 24" barrel my loads ranged from 2245fps to 2308fps
                        A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                        THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                        THE HEART OF A CHILD
                        THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Not bad! I have only shot 220 grainers as the heavy load before out of my ole O3/A3...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Accuracy is the same but was able to accomplish the following in "FPS" with AA2495BR and without having above max pressure signs.

                            With the 165gr bullet in Winchester brass I was able to go to 52grs of AA2495BR with this cool lot and not have any over max pressure signs, 52.5 was on the edge of being over max. I was only able to reach 51grs with Nosler brass because at 51.5 pressure jumped.

                            Here are the FPS results using AA2495BR, 210 Fed primers, Winchester brass and 165gr Sierra HPBT, OAL 3.1945"

                            50grs AA2495BR velocity and extreme spread




                            51.5grs AA2495BR velocity and extreme spread


                            A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                            THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                            THE HEART OF A CHILD
                            THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              52grs AA2495BR velocity and extreme spread


                              A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                              THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                              THE HEART OF A CHILD
                              THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X