No announcement yet.

Medium bore stopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What color was the Lions eyes? Yaller?

Originally posted by Proud American View Post
    Thank you Sigmund Freud! I have hunted around the world, and worked the streets of America as a cop for almost 30 years, and served my country. I take offense to your comments ... maybe you should get a job with the tourism board. I have looked lions in the eye, as well as insane armed men. This doesn’t make be brave, but I do what I have to.

I think I will still come up there. I can hold my own ... and my Big Bore .458 Lott is coming with me!
    PA:
    He's right in one respect at least. I know a guy who had a close encounter with a bear, and he decided his 30-06 wasn't beeg enough and he got a just-alike 338 WM. I think that could be a common reaction.

If you have a 458 Lott, and you like it, and have used it, there's nothing wrong with bringing it. IMO, that would go for a lot of cartridges though.

A 458 Lott just seems like too much gun for Alaska. Plus, it probably has some downsides for most.

Thank the Lord that we can entertain ourselves by deciding which gun is the most suitable for something that most likely will never occur to us.

Don't forget the mosquito repellent, or to buy some when you arrive. That's something you WILL have to deal with. They're what makes us Laskans Tuff, and keeps us crazy.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Comment

• PA ....

my point was very simple.

having read your positngs... i am aware your profession as stated.

you stand a MUCH greater chance meeting peril at home, in your front yard then you do here in the woods.

don't let your fear of the unknown eat you up. heck you'll probably have more fun and view more bears if you leave the guns behind.

they are NOT out to get you.

if you plan on hunting while here thats a different story. just quit stressing the possibility and come have some fun and enjoy the place...

and that is what my comment was intended to do. have you take notice that you have 4 threads on what if a bear tries to get me..

and your guns are getting bigger. do not buy into the myth conceptions of bears.... better to be informed on how to avoid the confrontation then be careless and have one at all..

for instance your fishing on the river. and land big fat salmon... bear charges out of brush popping his jaws at you? shoot????????

no.

toss him your salmon and walk away. thats all he wanted.

no paper work, no dead bears, no explaining why you as a non res were armed to the teeth, etc etc etc.....your a cop you do the reports...
      "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

• Vince – Very well said. Smitty had very good advice on mosquitoes, as those SOB’s can almost ruin a good trip/vacation. The best I’ve ever used is Bushman (http://www.bushman-repellent.com/). This forum had a discussion on mosquitoes last year and everyone recommended the ThermaCELL device (http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/) and I’ll give it a try in 3 weeks on our “self-guided” Canadian fishing trip. Last year the black flies really worked us over. I’ve purchased every other mosquito/black fly gimmick over the years and everything purchased so far has been a miserable experience and I always came back to good ole deet. I still got a bottle of the good ole Nam stuff but it’s a little hard on the kidneys. Sorry for the hijack PA but I think I’ve previously advised you that mosquitoes in Northern Canada and Alaska can stand flat footed and fuc* a turkey, so you better be prepared for those blood thirsty gals, as they take no prisoners. As for bears, I have no experience with the Brown, but I have a little experience with the Blackie. Alaska Lanche and others have said it best “each their own”, as to what you feel comfortable carrying if that nightmare of a determined Brown Bear charge ever happens. Myself, I want something light, very portable and quick to bring about not worrying about recoil, as heavy recoil is just pain, which is weakness leaving our body. In rifles I have 4 medium bores to choose from – 300 Winchester Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 378 Weatherby Mag and the 450 Marlin. Several years ago I sold my Weatherby 460, which was a ***** cat to the 378 relative to felt recoil. As for a “stopper rifle” I would rate them in order with the 460 using 600 grain Barnes first, 378 using the 325 grain Bitterroot, the 450 Marlin using a hardcast bullet from 420 grains to 550 grains, the 300 Weatherby and last the 300 Winchester using premium bullets. Which would I choose if I was told I had to bring a rifle, which could stop a Brown with an attitude? I would bring the 450 Marlin. If I was ever so lucky to be able to travel to Alaska to enjoy the outdoors, I would leave all 4 rifles home and bring along plenty of Bushman repellent and maybe my just acquired John Ross 500S&W with 5 rounds of my own home brewed “bear whipass” medicine but the 44 mag, which is a lot lighter, would probably get the nod of approval. If I had family or friends in that Great State and they were going to be with me, I would just bring the mosquito repellent and would rely on them to either lug the hardware or loan a revolver to me if they felt it was called for. Have a great time up there.

One thing on Bushman - You will probably want someone travelling over there to bring some back for you, as I haven't had any success obtaining it via the USPS. Someone always steals it or else EPA or some other Gov't agency doesn't want it in to compete with Johnson & Johnson etc and probably destroys it??
        Last edited by JoeJ; 05-10-2009, 08:48. Reason: Bushman ordering info

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince View Post
          PA ....

my point was very simple.

having read your positngs... i am aware your profession as stated.

you stand a MUCH greater chance meeting peril at home, in your front yard then you do here in the woods.

don't let your fear of the unknown eat you up. heck you'll probably have more fun and view more bears if you leave the guns behind.

they are NOT out to get you.

if you plan on hunting while here thats a different story. just quit stressing the possibility and come have some fun and enjoy the place...

and that is what my comment was intended to do. have you take notice that you have 4 threads on what if a bear tries to get me..

and your guns are getting bigger. do not buy into the myth conceptions of bears.... better to be informed on how to avoid the confrontation then be careless and have one at all..

for instance your fishing on the river. and land big fat salmon... bear charges out of brush popping his jaws at you? shoot????????

no.

toss him your salmon and walk away. thats all he wanted.

no paper work, no dead bears, no explaining why you as a non res were armed to the teeth, etc etc etc.....your a cop you do the reports...

I understand all of your points. I have no doubt that I will NOT have a bear problem. I Lived with bears in Colorado in the mountains, and they tore the doors off of my shed, and other damage to get food. I never shot one of them, and will not shoot one in Alaska unless there is absolutely no choice. My points were directed to that no choice scenario, but I come with peaceful hopes, as I love the animals and the outdoors ... no worries.

I may even carry the 500 S&W with 500-grain punch bullets or hard cast, along with bear spray when fishing. I am dubious about the spray, but if the situation were right I would deploy it first to defuse the situation. I agree with most of Joe's comments as well. I especially agree that the .378 Weatherby has more felt recoil than the .460 because of its velocity; overbore is probably the reason. I owned both and sold both, as I switch out guns all the time. My 500 S&W is already in Alaska at my son's. My BLR 450 Marlin and .458 Lott are the new additions, thus all my inquiries here on this forum.

PS: I do know about reports and I don't want to be in one, or do one.
          Last edited by Proud American; 05-10-2009, 10:31. Reason: Add a word, or two.

Comment

• For the choices given, id take the 338. They can reach out and touch them before a wounded bear can get to the alders.
            If you are in the alders already, I'd feel comfortable with my 45/70

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X