Medium bore stopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medium bore stopper

Of the four, which would be the best "stopper" of a Grizzly or Brownie - .338-06, .338 Win Mag, .35 Whelen, or .350 Rem Mag? I have bigger stoppers but I'd rather not take them on my next Alaska trip. Any opinions/preferences?

Rainydayhunter

If my choices were limited to those I would probably go with the 35 Whelen because I have a soft spot for 35s but the 338 might be a slightly better choice on ballistics. If I could throw one more in the mix it would be the 358 Norma Mag.

BUT, if you told me that I was going to have to stop a charging brownie starting at 20 yds next trip I would pick my Guide Gun in 450 Marlin with heavy hardcast over my '98 358 Norma.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

I am happy with my 350 Remington Mag using 225 grain Kodiak Bonded bullets. At 2,800 fps (using RL-15) it is a hard hitter in a short action. But the magnum belt sometimes gets in the way. A hot loaded 35 Whelen might accomplish the same thing with more rounds in the magazine.

I also miss my old 358 Norma Magnum. Although brass was a touch spendy. I was shooting 250 grain bullets at 2,900 fps with very small groups.
      Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
      Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post
        I also miss my old 358 Norma Magnum. Although brass was a touch spendy. I was shooting 250 grain bullets at 2,900 fps with very small groups.
        Form from .338 Win for ~40 cents per case (Rem or Win) vs $1+ per case for Norma stuff.

2,900 fps + 250 gr sure sound like a HOT load to me. I consider 2,700-50 fps + 250 gr in a .338 about max.

Comment

For a stopper

I'd get a .375 either H&H or Ruger, 21" barrel, 300 grain load.

Comment

Originally posted by rainydayhunter View Post
            Of the four, which would be the best "stopper" of a Grizzly or Brownie - .338-06, .338 Win Mag, .35 Whelen, or .350 Rem Mag? I have bigger stoppers but I'd rather not take them on my next Alaska trip. Any opinions/preferences?

Rainydayhunter
            I never shot a griz with any of the rounds listed but if I had to pick one I would go with the .338 and a quality 250-275 grain bullet.

Comment

I'd go with the 35 Whelen just because that is what I have. I shoot 250 gr. Kodiaks, and I've never had to take more than 1 shot. Of course, I haven't had to use it as a "stopper" yet, but I'm confident in it.
              The 338-06 is nearly identical to the 35 Whelen ballistically in real world conditions. I know that some will disagree based on load data, chronograph readings, etc, but under actual hunting conditions, the 2 are virtually indistinguishable.
              We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
              James Madison

Comment

358Win - 225gr Partition or Seirra - 2509fps with sub moa accuracy

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                THE HEART OF A CHILD
                THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

225gr Partition target:

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                  THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                  THE HEART OF A CHILD
                  THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

If I'm in doubt

Originally posted by beartooth View Post
                    358Win - 225gr Partition or Seirra - 2509fps with sub moa accuracy

I grab my 375 hh mod. 70. 270 grain Barns X now thats what I call a STOPPER
                    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
                    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
                    Μολών λαβέ

Comment

beartooth best rig money can buy! sure nice groups!

Comment

Originally posted by yukon254 View Post
                        beartooth best rig money can buy! sure nice groups!
                        Yes, the groups are nice and it would get boring if I were to post all the groups that this rifle, scope and cartridge have shot under an inch since I started developing loads. I really can't wait to use my 358Win this coming hunting season. I have fallen in love with this rig, it is so much fun to shoot and handle and a sweet little/big thumper that you could shoot all day without recoil messing you up and a 225gr 35 cal bullet at 2500fps has through the years more than proved it's worth and value.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                        THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                        THE HEART OF A CHILD
                        THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

Originally posted by ironartist View Post
                          I grab my 375 hh mod. 70. 270 grain Barns X now thats what I call a STOPPER
                          There is no doubt about the 375 as a real for sure stopper.
                          A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                          THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                          THE HEART OF A CHILD
                          THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

I'm partial to the ruger 350 rem mag all weather.

That said, the 338 win mag is the only one on your list that has decent factory ammo readily available, and sometimes you have to use factory fodder.

All of those rounds will be for all intents and purposes equal in terminal performance.
                            Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Whelen

Of the choices listed I would and did go with a 35 Whelen. Keep in mind for a "stopper" more velocity may not be what you need. A Whelen with a 12" twist and a 310 grain Woodleigh at 2300fps or so would be just about right. Good luck.

Josh

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X