Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme Range Shooting/Hunting 1600 Yards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme Range Shooting/Hunting 1600 Yards...

DANG! These guys are GOOD! I mean....REALLY good...left me darn-near speechless...deer and elk and such at 1000 to 1680 yards??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4aq...96CBA&index=20

What is that thing they're shooting? What's a 338 Edge? Are they ex-marine snipers? Hmmm...I don't think my old 30-30 is gonna quite measure up. I paid $150 for the little rifle...can I get one like theirs for that amount?
    Hmmm...let's see...if I take out a 2nd mortgage on the house....

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

The words of my dead hunters safety instructor keep coming back when I see things like this, " always know your backstop when you shoot, because you don't want a stray going somewhere you didn't want"

Wide open spaces and great distances are cool. It's nice to know someone has the talent to shot that far.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

Just Shooting - Not Hunting

That is extreme shooting - not extreme hunting in my book.

CapnJack

Comment

Yes, they are former Marine snipers. I had an exchange(positive), on a different forum, with the fellow who developed that round and pulled the trigger on at least some of those shots.

Comment

Scope

Had nothing to do with being that good. the scope will adjust for everything as long as you know the range. the other guy has a range finder and they put the info into the scope and all you have to do is pull the trigger. Pretty cool scopes but very very costly!
          One shot one kill

Comment

Glad I was not anywhere in the area of that 1600yd shot on that rock since you know the bullet deflected somewhere due to the rock and the angels in those mountain. That is extreme shooting and if you are a good shot and have been trained in the use of the range finder, ballistics program and scope, the rifle does the rest.

It certainly is not extreme hunting but it is really good shooting only because of the technology. Call it what you want but it is not hunting to me, it is just long range target shooting where the animal's senses can not be used by the animal to detect the hunter or even have a chance to do so. Some people like it, I don't.
            A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
            THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
            THE HEART OF A CHILD
            THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

338WM,

Glad you termed it correctly. There isn't such an animal as an ex-marine...former is the correct term. Just had to toss that out there to see where it lands.

I agree with you all. Hunting is matching wits w/ the critter your hunting. Of course if its 200yds or 1600yds, if the animal is clueless... it's all the same.

However, I think the hunter is the one that looses the experience of the stalk and experience shared in his/her prey's back yard. There is nothing like closing the gap to the minimum distance...sharing the one on one moment with your animal.

Comment

Originally posted by Aksharpshooter View Post
                Had nothing to do with being that good. the scope will adjust for everything as long as you know the range. the other guy has a range finder and they put the info into the scope and all you have to do is pull the trigger. Pretty cool scopes but very very costly!
                Well.... there's a little more to it than that. You do need to be a good shot and hold steady on those shots. 1/4 MOA error on a 1600 yd shot will coast you about 5". Wind doping is probably the most crucial part of the equation. Misjudging the wind by 1 mph will cost 10". You also need to know your altitude and barimetric pressure. Mis juding your pressure altitude by 1000' will cost 12" (using the ballistics of the rifles and cartridges they are using). And then there are the loads they are using... they must be pricise with a very tight ES. A difference of 10 fps between bullets will cost about 6" at that range. That's the basics... there's a lot to it.
                "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
                ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Nothing more than fine tuned Kentucky windage!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
                    Well.... there's a little more to it than that. You do need to be a good shot and hold steady on those shots. 1/4 MOA error on a 1600 yd shot will coast you about 5". Wind doping is probably the most crucial part of the equation. Misjudging the wind by 1 mph will cost 10". You also need to know your altitude and barimetric pressure. Mis juding your pressure altitude by 1000' will cost 12" (using the ballistics of the rifles and cartridges they are using). And then there are the loads they are using... they must be pricise with a very tight ES. A difference of 10 fps between bullets will cost about 6" at that range. That's the basics... there's a lot to it.

Guess your a little behind on the times...there is a scope that does this for you as long as you know the yardage. Bet they had a rest and not off hand shooting. Now if they did this with open sights it might be impresive.
                    One shot one kill

Comment

Originally posted by Aksharpshooter View Post
                      Guess your a little behind on the times...there is a scope that does this for you as long as you know the yardage. Bet they had a rest and not off hand shooting. Now if they did this with open sights it might be impresive.
                      Actually, I'm very much up to speed on long range shooting. I have the scope they were using in the video. The scope does not figure out all the variables. Software does, and in order to get good output from the software to input into the scope, you need to input good info into the softare. These guys carry portable weather stations and various handheld computers and top end range finders.

If you've been watching "Best of the West", those guys over simplify the long rang shooting sport big time. They market the Huskemaw 5-20 LR Scope with a BDC turret that is gauged for yardage for your particular cartridge, load and bullet. There are some significant problems with this sytem. It doesn't compensate for varing shooting angles or pressure altitudes, and these are extremely important in LR ballistics.

Tell ya what.... Why dont you browse through this site for a couple of weeks, and then come back and say whether or not you still thing that LR shooting is all about the scope.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

And, no those guys were not shooting offhand. They were shooting off a bi-pod and rear bag.... a stable platform, not quite as stable as a bench with sand bags, but fairly stable. And it requires some good shooting skills.
                      "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
                      ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Head For Cover!

The thing that bothers me about this is if this is being done in some of the more populated states, then on those LOOOOOoooOOOG shots (like 1600 yds) it is quite possible to have other people walking down in the draw halfway to the target, that you haven't seen or heard...due to them being out of sight and earshot.

Just imagine you're walking up a riverbed, and all of a sudden a 300 grain slug goes whistling overhead like incoming artillery, then crashes into something some hundreds of yards over your shoulder...then some seconds later you hear the distant BOOOM of the gun from the opposite direction...:eek:

By the way, one mile is exactly 1760 yards...not that much farther than what these guys were shooting...

Marshall/Ak

Comment

Originally posted by beartooth View Post
                          ...Call it what you want but it is not hunting to me, it is just long range target shooting where the animal's senses can not be used by the animal to detect the hunter or even have a chance to do so. Some people like it, I don't.
                          BT... I guess we al have our definitons of hunting. What do ya think about this?

Pack a 50 lb pack, and carry it and an 11 lb rifle 10 miles into the mountains gaining about 3000-4000' of elevation. Set up camp 2 or 3 days prior to season opening and spend those pre hunt days scouting and glassing covering about 10-15 miles a day on mountain ridges looking for game. Then on opening day, you hike along the ridge, and spot your bull elk 900 yds accross the canyon. You dial in your elevation and windage and make the shot. Is that hunting?
                          ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
                            Nothing more than fine tuned Kentucky windage!
                            I thought you were from Iowa????
                            ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
                              BT... I guess we al have our definitons of hunting. What do ya think about this?

Pack a 50 lb pack, and carry it and an 11 lb rifle 10 miles into the mountains gaining about 3000-4000' of elevation. Set up camp 2 or 3 days prior to season opening and spend those pre hunt days scouting and glassing covering about 10-15 miles a day on mountain ridges looking for game. Then on opening day, you hike along the ridge, and spot your bull elk 900 yds accross the canyon. You dial in your elevation and windage and make the shot. Is that hunting?

It would be hunting in my book. But then....if I carried that much weight, for that far, for that many days, they'd have to call in a medivac chopper to get me back out...

Marshall/Ak

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X