No announcement yet.

antique hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
      Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
      And modern guns are ugly compared to the old ones. But I'm an incurable collector of antiques so I may be a bit biased.

Comment

Talking Ugly?
        Have you ever held a BerdanII carbine? Man, o man, the balance, feel, and general "carryability" is such that I have yet to find in a modern repeater, bar none.

Ah, yea, "Handy" best describes that work of art......just wish it werent so **** rare, Id use it daily!

ASG, dont ya think we need some more antiqe threads...as well as that daily triva question?? I could get addicted to such, faster than mainlining crack.~~LOL!!~~

Shoot 'em all!
        If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

The Victorians sure knew how to make things beautiful as well as making it so it would last a couple lifetimes in working order!
          Andy
          On the web= C-lazy-F.co
          Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
          Call/Text 602-315-2406
          Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Why use anything else?

I shoot & hunt with antiques exclusively...
            Winchester 1894 (dom 1897) 25-35 ...mainly deer on Kodiak
            Winchester 1886 40-82 (dom 1886) ...anything bigger than deer
            Winchester 1890 22WRF (dom 1898) ...anything smaller than deer
            Francotte 12ga sxs (dom 1891) ...ducks
            Webley 16ga sxs (dom 1894) ...grouse & ptarmigan
            Mauser 1891 7.65 Argentine carbine (dom 1896) ...probably the handiest all around rifle I have ever carried.

Comment

Old guns...any interest?

Originally posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
              Talking Ugly?
              Have you ever held a BerdanII carbine? Man, o man, the balance, feel, and general "carryability" is such that I have yet to find in a modern repeater, bar none.

Ah, yea, "Handy" best describes that work of art......just wish it werent so **** rare, Id use it daily!

ASG, dont ya think we need some more antiqe threads...as well as that daily triva question?? I could get addicted to such, faster than mainlining crack.~~LOL!!~~

Shoot 'em all!
              I once suggested in the "Proposed New Forums" thread,that they consider having a forum on hunting with old guns....or even just a forum on antique guns in general.One of the moderators replied and did not seem to have much interest,saying that not enough people were interested in old guns. I'm not so sure....I mean we all like guns,of course....and even guys who don't HUNT with old guns--or perhaps even own one,still may have a general interest in antique guns. What do you guys think?

Comment

As you know, I'm all for a Antique/classic guns forum, I guess they jsut wanna keep it here?? I donno, ~~LOL!!~~

Actually Float Pilot has the cool Idea, with question threads. In the spirit of things, I even threw out one of my own, as I'm hopeing he and others kick some more out and keep us guessing......

PS, My pet name for my Berdanka is "Ugly":rolleyes:

Comment

I have used my 1886 Alex Henry double rifle in 450-400 BPE on Black bear and plan on using my 1871 Westley Richards Improved Martini in 577-500 BPE in May for BB.

Before stock refinish.

After

Model 1871

Comment

Two very nice rifles to be sure.AH made some very fine guns.Not many relize that durning the the 1800 through early 1900's there were close to four hundred makers building guns in England under their own names.
                    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Most excellent!

More , More , More!!!!!!!

Comment

I enjoy the extra challenge of hunting with vintage Winchester leveractions.

I've shot two bull moose with a model 1894 (ca. 1899) in 30 WCF. It's a nice rifle with a half oct, half round barrel, TD, and Lyman 21 rear sight.

Also killed two bulls with a vintage model 1895 in 405 Win.

Took two more bulls with a deluxe TD model 1895 in 35 Win.

Used a model 71 in 348 Win to harvest 2 more bulls.

Dropped two bulls with a model 1886 (ca. 1891) in 45-90. Used the same rifle to hammer a B&C grizzly.

I shoot all manner of small game with models 1892, 53, 64, and 65 chambered in 25-20, 32 WCF, 219 Zipper, and 218 Bee respectively.

Comment

Oldies but goodies

Gosh, what a thread. I have and have hunted with a Winchester model 95 - 35 wcf, an early mod. 94 - 32-40 win., a mod 55 win 44-40 win (stainless barrel), an early model 99 take down in 250-3000 cal., a remington sxs 12 ga made in 1912 with 32" barrels, a Stevens 22/410 with Tenite stock( my first gun at age 12), a Chilean mod. 95 mauser in 7 x 57. Sweet memories Huh? Keep this one going.

Comment

Great thread +1...

Great "They're Tools, not Jewels" thread...

Though I don't have anything in the safe that is over 100 (yet) I'd have to say that my favorite rifle to hunt with has been a Remington model 14 pump in .35 rem. I'm still using the same gun my grandfather bought new back when he was 15. It's not the flattest shooter, nor the hardest hitter, but it's taken PA black bear and whitetails, AK blacktails, goats, and black bears,....and the animals I've taken with it so far are some of the ones I prize most.
                            Attached Files
                            AKtrapper26 on T-man
                            sigpic

Comment

Old Guns....35 Rem

Originally posted by Lastonefishing View Post
                              Great "They're Tools, not Jewels" thread...

Though I don't have anything in the safe that is over 100 (yet) I'd have to say that my favorite rifle to hunt with has been a Remington model 14 pump in .35 rem. I'm still using the same gun my grandfather bought new back when he was 15. It's not the flattest shooter, nor the hardest hitter, but it's taken PA black bear and whitetails, AK blacktails, goats, and black bears,....and the animals I've taken with it so far are some of the ones I prize most.
                              Hey--Lastonefishing....I'd be curious to know the ranges you took most of your game with using that old model 14....and how big were the bears? One shot kills? I've taken deer with my Model 8 (.35 Rem) from 4 yards out to 160 yards (this one was a lung shot--ran about 40 yards). Most of the black bears I've killed were not farther than 50 yards or so--and the largest was a 400 pound boar. The last bear I killed a few years back was just over 300 pounds in the spring....50 yard shot,200 grains,front shoulder,went right down. I've tried 4 different loads that I can recall-- and taken game with at least two--but my favorite is the good ol',standard Remington 200 grain core-lokt. Nice photo by the way.....

Comment

Thanks

Lastonefishing--thanks for the PM.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X