Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antique hunting.

Anybody hunt with antique rifles?

This morning I caught a nice caribou with my ATG 95 winchester in 30-40 krag. Was made in 1907 according to Winchester.

I have also shot , a couple years ago now, Caribou with my 1876 Berdan II Carbine, .42 Berdan, with homemade on a lathe,bullets and built up brass,with a steel head and fireformed walls...... and pyrodex for propellent. Im looking for brass and bullets, felts, wax and primers for such. i have a few pounds of FFg, and with a 66grn. load, Im set for awhile with powder, i just need to get the rest
    And last I have a couple antique Mosin Nagant rfles made inthe 1890's that are just as good as the rifles made later....

Just tired, reading, wondering and cleaning the rifle now, so i figured to ask.:rolleyes:
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Took a fox from the back yard this winter with Grandpa's Winchester model 94 30-30 made in 1909, will that count? Love that gun, it feels like Grandpa is with me when I hold it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Comment

I use a Winchester M12 built sometime in the 1920s. I prefer it over any modern pump shotgun I've ever owned. I also rarely use a M37 Winchester built about the same time.

I also use a Marlin 30-30 produced sometime immediately following WWII.

In the past I used an equally aged Marlin .22 lr but since its lacking a serial number (never had one) I can only guess at the date of manufacture.
      "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

I have used my

38-40 Model 1892 Winchester ...117 years old.
        45-90 Model 1886, Winchester....116 years old
        30-40 Model 1895 Winchester.....104 years old
        6.5x55m Swede m/96 rifle...........109 years old
        6.5 Swede Carbine m/94.............102 years old
        Tobin SxS 12 gauge...................104 years old
        Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
        Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Old Guns

My favorite gun is my Remington Model 8 autoloader in .35 Rem,which was made back in 1910....I've taken many deer and black bear with it. I've also hunted with my model 1894 Winchester 38-55,of 1899 vintage. And others--such as an old .303 British Enfield belonging to one of my brothers. It's fun to hunt with these old guns--the kind of guns our Grandfathers may have carried. And many of them shoot just as good as any modern firearm.

Comment

Used to hunt with a 1917 lee enfield 303 before I could aford anything better. Shot my second moose with that thing, 30 yards between the eyes. Also a bear and wolf.

Comment

I don't think those old rounds will take game anymore.You need more modern stuff like the 45/70,375H&H or the 30-06
              Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
                I don't think those old rounds will take game anymore.You need more modern stuff like the 45/70,375H&H or the 30-06
                Like the new stuff do ya?
                Andy
                On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                Call/Text 602-315-2406
                Phoenix Arizona

Comment

"I don't think those old rounds will take game anymore.You need more modern stuff like the 45/70,375H&H or the 30-06 "

~~LOL!!~~ ...... untill now, neither I or the animals knew that.........

(Lets not have them read this, they may stop dying so well:rolleyes

Common, amigo, you have to have shot "Something" with a an old gun..at least older than you? ~~LOL!!~~admit it.

Comment

I am laughing too. My Swede is about as old as Float Pilot's. I also have a '92 Win in 38-40 but that is not sufficient to hunt big game with and I don't. I have a nice 1938 M70 Win in 30-06. Does that count as an antique? Hehehe. J.

Comment

I shot my first mulie with a mod 8rem in 30rem. Still have it but don't shoot it much any more. Next deer was shot with dads 1917 enfield 30/06. Still have that one too. The only older (not antique) gun I hunt with is a 92Win in 25/20 that I use for rabbits. My main moose rifle is a 1952 mod 70 win in 300 H&H. Not antique, But almost as old as I am. I probably should get one of the new super extra short whizbang magnums that shoots twice as fast using half the powder. But, some how that 300H&H still kills stuff. And the 25/20 , although very light for deer, drops rabbits on the spot. I really like the older guns and cartridges.

Comment

I've hunted with my model 1893 Mauser. I've carried while hunting a 1911 made in 1916. I shot a porcupine that kept coming into camp and trying to get into my tent with a topbreak revolver made in 1887 once while camping, does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
                          45-70 and 30-06 are both pretty old cartridges.

Comment

Amigo Will's ironic humor at work...LOL!

Amigo's right ....Now dont you know that the 45-70 is a much better killer when shot from a new lever gun than a old Trapdoor????...~~LOL!!~~

Nobody told my father in law that the 25-35 he used wouldnt kill Polar Bears dead enough, when he was shooting them on the Coville delta, while trapping Arctic Fox in the 1920's:rolleyes: temple shots, one and all.

Comment

Earliest 45/70 is 1865 and hit the market big in 1873. The 06 is 1906 of course and the 375H&H is 1912
                              Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X