I have a Garand....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlaskaBob View Post
    My Dad fought in WWI (Army) and WWII (Marines)...came out with ultimate respect for the M1 Garand. For his 87 birthday I bought him an M1 Garand and a History of the Marines... he died suddenly two weeks before his birthday.

Since I had the Garand, I started reading up on it and was jazzed. From this I decided to earn a DCM Garand and went through the routine.

When I sent in my paperwork I just mentioned what I said in the first paragraph... when the Garand came in the mail... it was a 28xxx serial number... the first run of M1's.... about Feb 1940. More shaken than anything... I wrote back and thanked the Army.

The Garand speaks living history of the brave soldiers who saved us from 1) Japanese as a second language, 2) German as a second language and the rest of the world from 1) Japanese as a first language or 2) German as a first language.

It is an insurance policy with the 2nd Amendment so that we can keep America from repeating the mistakes that led to Soviet Gulags, present day Chinese Laogai, and the re-education camps in Viet Nam.

It is also a great rifle to learn to shoot. Just watch out for M1 thumb.. ouch...

I fine story about a great soldier and a very good rifle. I have so little experience with this fine rifle and none where my enemies were shooting back. We owe a great debt to soldiers such as your dad who used this rifle so effectively. There is no doubt the M1 Garand helped us win WWII but it was also so much more from the courage and effort of folks like your dad and my uncles who who carried that heavy rifle for years and used it against our enemies. General Patton was right; "....The best **** battle rifle ever devised".
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Comment

So true, hats off to them boys past and present both!

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
      I fine story about a great soldier and a very good rifle. I have so little experience with this fine rifle and none where my enemies were shooting back. We owe a great debt to soldiers such as your dad who used this rifle so effectively. There is no doubt the M1 Garand helped us win WWII but it was also so much more from the courage and effort of folks like your dad and my uncles who who carried that heavy rifle for years and used it against our enemies. General Patton was right; "....The best **** battle rifle ever devised".
      I never met 2 uncles since they were hard core Marines in the Pacific and never came home. Dad was also and I was very nearly never to be since he took 4 Jap rounds on Okinawa that very near killed him as well. Dad has never talked about it to anyone but me and only then after I was no longer a child, I was shocked when at elk camp late one night he gave me a cool cerveca then proceeded to tell all. Looking back I think it was because I was 19 and thinking of enlisting in the Marines at the time.

Dad packed a BAR all across the Pacific not an M1 but he has many M1s and loves them and is still on the lookout for the M1 he was issued in boot, he remembers itís number still at 89 years old. Day 5 on Okinawa his unit made a push on a gun emplacement past where the army had dug in and Dad was firing bursts when he took a 6.5 through the upper left arm from behind that broke the bone to mush. He turned to fall back and got 2 rounds of 7.7s machinegun through the left thy removing 2 inches of bone. Then as he was dragging himself back to the Army lines he got a 7.7 rifle round in the pelvis. The tuff old goat drug himself back near 100 yards like that so the medic could work on him.

The 4th brother, the youngest, went to Korea and never came home so I never knew him either. This left my Grandma and Grandpa with Dad and his sister, they lost 3 fine young sons to the Marines and were able to live full, happy lives after that somehow.

Freedom is not free . . . semper fidelis boys! (insert solute smiley):cool:
      Andy
      On the web= C-lazy-F.co
      Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
      Call/Text 602-315-2406
      Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Side Thread

Originally posted by swedeshooter View Post
        Anyone up there willing to admit to owning a Nylon 66? And enjoying it?

Yes and still do..... I love it and my kids are learning to shoot on it.

Ron
        "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

Question Murphy

What would be a great accurate handload for a Garand? say using 4064 and 168 grain sierra? Thanks

Ron
          "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

The M1

My memories of the M1 are as a child. My dad would spank; but, being a former Army officer, preferred other methods of discipline (push-ups, etc...). One of his all-time favorite punishments was to take his Garand, have me find a target and then he'd balance a quarter on the end of the barrel. If I let it drop before he said, then I got the spanking. It wasn't much of a punishment for a young boy for the first few minutes - then it got pretty tiring. It was good preparation though for when I joined the Marines in 1993, the M16 was much lighter, but after a few minutes of holding it straight out by only the flash suppressor while squatting with all of the clothing from your locker on and and all the hot water turned on in the rain room it felt a lot like that M1...can't imagine having to do that with the real thing.
            I love the M1 Garand, and one day I hope to have one...if they don't keep going up in price I may eventually get to own one.

jw

Comment

M1 memories

My Dad had me know all about handling firearms... Port of Arms...etc.. before I got my first rifle... a Stevens Model 15.

These postings have brought back a flood of memories... Not so much of firearms but of people and dedication to country.

I never met my father-in-law... but he served in WWII.... Army ...at Guadalcanal or my uncle who served in the Navy , surviving being shot down by a Zero....

I bought several Enfield variants from a guy in California named Terry Hawker. His great-grandfather served in the Boer War, his grandfather in WWI and his mother and uncle in WWII for the British... the uncle as a British Commando.. and Terry as UDT for us (US) in Viet Nam. My uncles did tours in Korea.. I just missed being in Viet Nam.

I had a good chat with the Philips Medical rep recently ... 4 tours in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan as Special Forces....

Here we have brave men and women returning from our two war theaters.. and all that makes headlines is the present administration talking about them as potential terrorists...FGS..

I wish today's populace and especially those in power... knew what sacrifice and dedication is ..... "Integrity first, Service before self, Excellence in all that we do"...the motto of my wife's academy and the core of what the warfighter has been and continues to be.

God, I love the M1 Garand for what it stands for.

Comment

I have a CMP service grade Springfield, manufactured in 1957 IIRC.

I got it about a year ago. It's great fun to shoot. I have a Schuster ventilated gas nut for it, so that I can shoot my hot hunting loads safely, but I haven't had time to adjust it.

I need to get some more ammo from the CMP while the getting's still good.

Comment

Murphy you ought to come to the FLT Match/All Navy some time: free bullets.

See www.usnst.org

PACFLT starts next Saturdy at MCB Pendleton.
                  Camp Murphy at Miramar is long gone for navy use.
                  They are still awarding M1 Garands to high shooters.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X