~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Straight pull bolt

was the mechanism requested.

Comment

Straight pull bolt.

Comment

YES THE STRAIGHT PULL BOLT.

Well actually the Lee Navy was a semi straight pull. You have to pull up slightly and then back. the bolt comes back at an upward angle. It really looks weird.

The Lee Navy was also called the Model of 1895.
          So it had been around for a couple years by the time of the Spanish American War in 1898.

They were later phased out and replaced with 30 caliber rifles around the 1903 to 1906 time period. Winchester built a sporting version few a few more years after that.

Part of the reason the Navy and Marines adopted the 6mm was that they required the bullet to penetrate steel boiler plate at certain ranges. The 30 US ARMY (30-40 Krag) was not able to do what they needed. They were thinking about being able to disable steam launches and the like in harbors and rivers. Remember the Marines and Navy were engaged in advetures in China for many years against pirates and warlords.
          Attached Files
          Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
          Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

I think I read somewhere that the Navy/Marines used a 6mm Lee cal machine-gun made by Colt.

BGiddens
            BG

Comment

I see it now......Its fun picking our brains though.
              BG

Comment

Guns

Originally posted by FLtoAK05 View Post
                I think I read somewhere that the Navy/Marines used a 6mm Lee cal machine-gun made by Colt.

BGiddens
                YES, the Browning "Potato Digger" was chambered in the 6mm Lee Navy; and used in the S-A War.

Comment

Good info.

I think you are correct about the round development, but I always heard that they decided on the straight bolt due to so many guys having to line up and shoot on one side of a ship. There simply was no elbow room for rechambering another round. Could be a wives tale, just what I heard. I also heard that the straight bolt led to the development of auto rifles.

Did we get the idea from the Swiss or vice-versa?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X