What caliber did the Navy Seals use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What caliber did the Navy Seals use?

I thought i'd put it up since it might seem interesting to analyze. I'll take a guess that is was a personal choice of caliber by each sniper who took out the Pirates. Something in a .30 caliber cartridge.

My guess is .308 or .223.

Either way, they did a great job. I hope they get to do it again real soon. From the morning news, it appears they will. Another US boat was attacked by machine gun fire and grenades.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

I wondered about that too. I assumed (I have no knowledge) that it was at least a .308. I would not want to be shooting through a window at 70 yds trying to headshoot someone standing next ot a hostage with a .223.

Comment

308 win, 168gr Sierra's

Comment

+1 on .308
          "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Comment

"Representative list"...

One of these? List at:

http://www.navyseals.com/weapons-demo
            No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

one of these three

From Navyseals.com

Sniper Rifles
              M14 Sniper Rifle (7.62mm)
              MK11 Mod 0 Sniper Weapon System (7.62mm)
              M82A1 Heavy Sniper Rifle (.50 cal)

Comment

Mod 700 SA, Bull Barrel 22", A4 Mc Stock, Fast Loc Pin, Unertl Scope!

Comment

great job by those boys, but cant help but wonder. 4 bad guys 3 dead, did one of the seals miss?? cant see them leaving one bad guy alive? still great job, sounds like they might be busy over there for awhile

Comment

Originally posted by yukon254 View Post
                    great job by those boys, but cant help but wonder. 4 bad guys 3 dead, did one of the seals miss?? cant see them leaving one bad guy alive? still great job, sounds like they might be busy over there for awhile
                    As I understand it #4 was on another boat "negotiating" at the time.
                    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
                    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

Originally posted by Vance in AK View Post
                      As I understand it #4 was on another boat "negotiating" at the time.
                      #4 was on the same boat as the Seals. He had boarded purportedly to negotiate, but instead, he used it as an excuse to surrender and not have his head shot at by Seal snipers with .308s.

The seals simultaneously made three head shots on the only three pirates remaining in custody of the U.S. merchant captain. Two of the priates stuck their heads out of a hatch for air. Then, when the third guy, pointing his AK47 at the U.S. captain, came into the Seals' view through the lifeboat's front window, "bang" --x3.

Not bad for a bunch of squids. Just kidding.

Comment

Since the range had been greatly reduced by towing them closer and closer, almost an rifle in their inventory would have worked. Those guys have access to pretty much anything they want. You can also pretty much bet that there were more than three guys shooting or ready to shoot. Usually two shooters per target in a hostage situation. When all targets are in the open the count down starts and everyone fires where the zero should be.
                        Then the clearing team goes down the tow line while the rescue team goes into the water.
                        Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
                        Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Originally posted by aknome View Post
                          From Navyseals.com

Sniper Rifles
                          M14 Sniper Rifle (7.62mm)
                          MK11 Mod 0 Sniper Weapon System (7.62mm)
                          M82A1 Heavy Sniper Rifle (.50 cal)
                          According to the report they used the MK 11 .308 rifles made my knights armament. Probably suppressed but it didnt say in the report.

Regardless, its a bunch of incredible shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Float Pilot View Post
                            Since the range had been greatly reduced by towing them closer and closer, almost an rifle in their inventory would have worked. Those guys have access to pretty much anything they want. You can also pretty much bet that there were more than three guys shooting or ready to shoot. Usually two shooters per target in a hostage situation. When all targets are in the open the count down starts and everyone fires where the zero should be.
                            Then the clearing team goes down the tow line while the rescue team goes into the water.

Interesting.

I'm just glad it turned out the way it did. Americans have become such wimps about this type of thing Im glad people are supporting the military for the way they handled it.

Comment

I have seen a hard case issued to seal teams that holds an M11 and an M82A1 and all the equipment for both rifles when the company I worked for was biding to make them for the Navy. That was about 10 years back now but I bet they still use them in the field today, and I know they still use the same rifles.
                              Andy
                              On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                              Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                              Call/Text 602-315-2406
                              Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X