Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

amazing 30-30?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • amazing 30-30?

    If the 30-30 (according to some nimrods) is adequate for moose, etc, which I'm not going to argue one way or the other, then isn't most of our big game calibers unnecessarily over powered for most of our hunting? IF, the the 30-30 is, then it appears that all our quest for the almighty beast slayer, is for our own egos and entertainment purposes? I'm depressed to find out that a lifetime of experimenting, researching, shooting and laying out the cash was just for my own personal self gratification...when I could have simplified everything by sticking to my first rifle...a Win 94, 30-30. Oh well!
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

  • #2
    Whats your definition of adequate?

    I imagine a .22LR shot with accurate bullet placement into a moose's ear or eye would be adequate also. So with this view point why burden yourself with any larger caliber than that? 30-30's should be saved for larger game.

    Comment


    • #3
      "Who Cares"......If people want to yap about how big their gun is, and it makes them happy, fine. If people want to yap about how small their gun is, and it makes them happy, so be it.
      At the end of the day people was either yapping or they was "Boots in the FIELD". If you'll excuse me, my snowshoes, and the dog are both quivering with anticipation of an exhilarating hike along the Turnagain Arm. But which gun should I take. "Who CARES"......???
      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

      Comment


      • #4
        Have a nice day

        Hopeak,

        I've only read two of your posts, both very derisive and negative. I know a little about Hope and a number of the people who live there and you'd fit right in. If you don't like people and want to knock whatever is said, then why say anything. I'm known as a bit of a curmudgeon here, but you win.
        Anyways, Alaska has big animals and there IS a difference between what would be adequate, meaning minimal but acceptable, and then there are cartridges that have a margin of power so that a less then perfect shot may still be effective, enough to get another round in and might be a stopper as well as a killing round in case something that could do you in needs to be stopped right now.
        A neighbor of mine when I homesteaded north of the head of Kachemak Bay shot a 9 foot Brownie in his homestead yard because it was casing his chicken cage. He shot it 4 times in the boiler room, had to trail it a bit and put 3 more rounds in before it expired, the last one at the base of the skull. A heavier round might have made it a quicker process.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mauserboy View Post
          Hopeak,

          I've only read two of your posts, both very derisive and negative. I know a little about Hope and a number of the people who live there and you'd fit right in. If you don't like people and want to knock whatever is said, then why say anything. I'm known as a bit of a curmudgeon here, but you win.
          Anyways, Alaska has big animals and there IS a difference between what would be adequate, meaning minimal but acceptable, and then there are cartridges that have a margin of power so that a less then perfect shot may still be effective, enough to get another round in and might be a stopper as well as a killing round in case something that could do you in needs to be stopped right now.
          A neighbor of mine when I homesteaded north of the head of Kachemak Bay shot a 9 foot Brownie in his homestead yard because it was casing his chicken cage. He shot it 4 times in the boiler room, had to trail it a bit and put 3 more rounds in before it expired, the last one at the base of the skull. A heavier round might have made it a quicker process.


          Big Gun Or Little Gun, What I want to get across is your either talking about it, which is fine. Or your in the field doing it.

          For your information I have built 19 Rifles "ALL" were .458 Winchester Magnums. I was a Professional Hunter for 34 Years, and the .458 Winchester Magnum was my Brown Fuzzy cartridge of choice. If you think the .458 Win Mag. is a mouse gun, I don't care. I have been either the direct cause or contributer to the death of about roughly 190 to 200 Alaska Bears. I know something about bears. MY POINT IS: If you like big bore guns fine, If you like small bore guns fine. But what impresses the puppy poop out of me is people who are OUTDOORS doing something.

          Why do you'all care so passionately about the cartridge.......? Why don't you care passionately about the wilderness and being outdoors. My neighbor a 36 year old female mountain runner, she does not even own a firearm, and she runs 10 miles per day average, year around, all over this Bear infested wilderness.

          People spend most of there time obsessed about having the the perfect firearm, the perfect bullet, the perfect tent, boots, Knife, etc., etc. and the balance of their time defending their choice. What matters is "Boots in The FIELD" the rest is cartridge'masturbation. And for todays 5 mile hike I took the the S&W M-60 3" .357 Mag. with 200 gr hard cast Cor-Bon.
          "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

          Comment


          • #6
            When the 30win came out it was the cats butt,perfect and better than most rounds out there. Does it still work,yes but there are better rounds out there for many types of hunting. In Alaska I would prefer to carry a 458 for everything than a 30/30 but in Texas the 30/30 would be a better choice.
            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

            Comment


            • #7
              Wait a minute, man,

              Hopeak,

              Where do you get off thinking I don't care about the wilderness. I homesteaded for years, as I said and it was the best life I ever lived. The only part guns played were gathering food and defense if needed. Some days I'd hike or snowshoe just to be doing it.I love Alaska, the bush, not the cities, but am stuck in Anchorage for another year or so. Man, you are not on a spruce pedestal alone. Your attitude sucks. This holier then thou crap doesn't float with me.
              Yeah, I love guns and cartridges and everything related. If that's a problem, tough. Oh, yeah, $70,000 an acre? Sounds like a real deal for somebody who doesn't like the long green.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mauserboy View Post
                Hopeak,

                Where do you get off thinking I don't care about the wilderness. I homesteaded for years, as I said and it was the best life I ever lived. The only part guns played were gathering food and defense if needed. Some days I'd hike or snowshoe just to be doing it.I love Alaska, the bush, not the cities, but am stuck in Anchorage for another year or so. Man, you are not on a spruce pedestal alone. Your attitude sucks. This holier then thou crap doesn't float with me.
                Yeah, I love guns and cartridges and everything related. If that's a problem, tough. Oh, yeah, $70,000 an acre? Sounds like a real deal for somebody who doesn't like the long green.
                Mauserboy, Sorry your upset, I was expounding my feelings in general, and they were not meant toward you, but in general theory of what matters in life. Sounds like we are both old Homesteaders, I wish you well.
                "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

                Comment


                • #9
                  Within it's range

                  And with the right bullet the .30-30 can serve as well as any other! Polar bears are still being taken, and please listen to the ones that use it daily in the Alaskan bush. I suggest reading posts by strangerinastrangeland and similar.
                  My choice would be the Nosler Partition 170gr for everything.
                  Use what you like, but I'm not a nimrod just because I like lever rifles, and happen to feel the 30WCF is an excellent cartridge. Not perfect but excellent.

                  Ed
                  Afflicted by condition human

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Maydog View Post
                    If the 30-30 (according to some nimrods) is adequate for moose, etc, which I'm not going to argue one way or the other, then isn't most of our big game calibers unnecessarily over powered for most of our hunting? IF, the the 30-30 is, then it appears that all our quest for the almighty beast slayer, is for our own egos and entertainment purposes? I'm depressed to find out that a lifetime of experimenting, researching, shooting and laying out the cash was just for my own personal self gratification...when I could have simplified everything by sticking to my first rifle...a Win 94, 30-30. Oh well!
                    Ahhh, Maydog:

                    You have once again demonstrated your tremendous powers of deduction.

                    Yes, to a large degree, we have ALL been squandering our time, studies, and other resources on our own egos.

                    Use what you will, for whatever reason suits you, BUT, the "Awesome Power of the 30-30" is NOT to be taken lightly.

                    It is to be revered, always. Man,,,, I've got TWO, of them.

                    Smitty of the North
                    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
                    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
                    You can't out-give God.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Maydog View Post
                      If the 30-30 (according to some nimrods)
                      Originally posted by Maydog View Post
                      whooo there sparky!...... “nimrod”? seems a tad harsh to me……especially since I am one of those “nimrods” that know for a fact that the 30-30 is adequate for moose within reasonable ranges, but that’s ok, I is a big boy and can take it as well as I can dish it! is adequate for moose, etc, which I'm not going to argue one way or the other, Well now smart guy…. I figure that an inflammatory asinine statement like yours is indeed an argument!, or at least your attempt at starting one, and I am only happy enough to argue with you! then isn't most of our big game calibers unnecessarily over powered for most of our hunting? You asked….. so YES they are in my humble and experienced opinion. IF, the the 30-30 is, then it appears that all our quest for the almighty beast slayer, is for our own egos and entertainment purposes? I would guess that in your case, ego and entertainment are indeed the primary considerations in choosing a cartridge. I'm depressed to find out that a lifetime of experimenting, researching, shooting and laying out the cash was just for my own personal self gratification...when I could have simplified everything by sticking to my first rifle...a Win 94, 30-30. Oh well!
                      now don’t be depressed little fella…… the world needs ditch diggers too! We cant all be reasonable folks blessed with common sense and a basic understanding of physics and the capabilities of modern firearms. If you would have backed away from the buffet and set your beer down long enough to gain some real world experience with that old 30-30 you might have learned a thing or two. :cool:

                      “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Mike I couldnt help myself....

                        Sorry Mike. I know you hate the kinds of posts like the one I just sent, but I just couldn’t let it go……

                        Sensor at will…….. I will totally understand.
                        “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's cool

                          I could have been talking to myself at various other times. Not worth burning the energy, you know.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            buffet & beer?

                            Getting a little persona aren't ya? As far as saying someone's a nimrod, well, it's a compliment (great hunter). This figures though...the negative attack dogs come out and there's no sense arguing with that attitude. This post was intended for a little conversation only...not gutter sniping (or would that be ditch sniping?).
                            If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "Ohwell" is right.
                              If you could sucessfully hunt with a 30-30, then you should know that everything else is just 'more" than is nessarry.

                              The 30-30 IS a great gun.
                              It was properly used back when it was new, and it killed animals efficently then as it will now.
                              Ive dropped a Muskox with a borrowed 30-30 (I lost my ammo)one shot. My brother gets elk with his Marlin.
                              It has stopped many a Bear as well, and most old timers that hunt around here love the 30-30 and the 25-20, 25-35 and the .243 because they do the job very well.
                              Marketing hype and people overcompensating power for poor marksmensship, bad stalking techniques and trying to have some sorta "Big" about them have tryed hard to make the 30-30 into some step up from a kids BB gun, but it aint.

                              Put that bullet where it will do the damage, and the animal will still die.

                              The 30-30 hasnt changed, and neither have the size or density of the bodys of the animals that it will kill.
                              If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

                              "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X