Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new .375 Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The new .375 Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan

    Well guys for a graduation present, I'm thinking about getting that new Ruger .375. I have done lots of looking at this gun, and done lots of reading and it looks like a great set up. Is there any downside, or reason NOT to get this gun?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  • #2
    The only problem I see it is you missed my graduation YEARS ago. But better late than never. Thanks

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pike_palace View Post
      Is there any downside, or reason NOT to get this gun?
      It depends on you... ammo costs are pretty high as Hornady is the only source of factory ammo at the moment. If you don't reload thats a factor and at $3.50 a shot it is something to consider.

      Recoil is stout but managable. Get a scope with lots of eye relief and practice good technique.

      I would get the black finish if I did it again. The matte stainless is hard to match a scope to and it shows every bit of wear you put on it. I positively hate the new matte stainless from Ruger.

      Other than being spendy to feed, mine shot great. Very handy rifle with the 20" tube.
      "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

      Comment


      • #4
        I have a black Alaskan, I love it! There are better rifles out there that will cost quite a bit of money but mine shoots as good as any 375.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for all the info. We hardly ever buy ammo except to target shoot, so we do lots of reloading. It looks like a B.A weapon
          "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

          Comment


          • #6
            Great minds must think alike because I just brought home a new Alaskan 375 Ruger as well. After I get rid of this clumbsy Hogue stock I'll take it out and see what it can do. havent decided which bullet I am going to concentrate on,either the 270gr TSX or 260gr Accubond. Either one will do the job I'm sure so we'll just have to see which one it likes.
            If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
            If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have a 3 week old 375 Ruger Alaskan, my first big rifle, not counting my Dad's 8mm Mauser German WWII rifle I shot as a kid. I'm moving to Anchorage from Las Vegas this winter, and hope to get some use out of it over the next few years. The cartridges are expensive, but I've never paid more than $2.50 per shell. I do plan on getting some reloading gear too, since I figure that will be cheaper in the long run, and I like to shoot.

              Anyway, I love the rifle, I put a Nikon Monarch (I think, I'd have to check the box!) 3-9X40 scope with the BDC, which does a fine job of compensating for the drop in my initial shots.

              I'm intrigued by the idea of changing the stock though. I've hunted around a bit on the internet looking for more info but have so far been unsuccessful in finding a stock for this gun. Any helpful websites out there you guys could point me to?

              Anyway, I can't see a reason NOT to get this gun. I got mine for a song when Sportsmans Warehouse went out of business (same with the scope), so it was extra incentive to get this gun. The way I figured, with guns you generally can hunt anything 'smaller' than what is capable of your caliber, but start to run risks when your gun is too small for the game your hunting - so go big! If you can take down a Cape Buffalo, you should be able to take down a whitetail, and anything in between, as long as you're a good shot.

              I'm just sayin...

              Comment


              • #8
                Any stock for a Model 77 Mark II Long action will fit. You may have to open up the barrel channel with sandpaper but it will fit. I have a Bell & Carlson stock on mine for now.
                If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
                If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 375rugerALASKAN View Post
                  I have a 3 week old 375 Ruger Alaskan, my first big rifle, not counting my Dad's 8mm Mauser German WWII rifle I shot as a kid. I'm moving to Anchorage from Las Vegas this winter, and hope to get some use out of it over the next few years. The cartridges are expensive, but I've never paid more than $2.50 per shell. I do plan on getting some reloading gear too, since I figure that will be cheaper in the long run, and I like to shoot.

                  Anyway, I love the rifle, I put a Nikon Monarch (I think, I'd have to check the box!) 3-9X40 scope with the BDC, which does a fine job of compensating for the drop in my initial shots.

                  I'm intrigued by the idea of changing the stock though. I've hunted around a bit on the internet looking for more info but have so far been unsuccessful in finding a stock for this gun. Any helpful websites out there you guys could point me to?

                  Anyway, I can't see a reason NOT to get this gun. I got mine for a song when Sportsmans Warehouse went out of business (same with the scope), so it was extra incentive to get this gun. The way I figured, with guns you generally can hunt anything 'smaller' than what is capable of your caliber, but start to run risks when your gun is too small for the game your hunting - so go big! If you can take down a Cape Buffalo, you should be able to take down a whitetail, and anything in between, as long as you're a good shot.

                  I'm just sayin...
                  McMillan will build you a glass stock that will be a drop in fit for this rifle. I have one on order for mine as we speak. Lead time is about 5-6 months for the stock and plan on spending just under $500 for it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This is mine sitting in a McMillan stock:



                    I can't wait to take a bear with it this year.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Matt,

                      That is one sweet looking setup.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
                        Matt,

                        That is one sweet looking setup.
                        That is so Bad *****. You are an inspiration. Is that stock glass?
                        Last edited by pike_palace; 04-12-2009, 21:26. Reason: question
                        "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah, fiberglass construction. The stock is built like a tank. Solid as a rock. And it's lighter than the factory Hogue stock that came on the rifle. And McMillan offers just about any custom option that you want in a stock.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            Yeah, fiberglass construction. The stock is built like a tank. Solid as a rock. And it's lighter than the factory Hogue stock that came on the rifle. And McMillan offers just about any custom option that you want in a stock.
                            That's a great looking stock and I'm sure it's sturdier than the original hollowed out plastic Houge. It's hard to imagine that it could be lighter.

                            Does that McMillan have pillar blocks or any kind of bedding?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by marshall View Post
                              That's a great looking stock and I'm sure it's sturdier than the original hollowed out plastic Houge. It's hard to imagine that it could be lighter.

                              Does that McMillan have pillar blocks or any kind of bedding?
                              You can order them with pillars and they can also bed your stock if they have your barreled action on hand. However, mucho cheaper to bed the rifle yourself. Pretty easy to do. Brownells will set you up with what you need.

                              I also have a couple of McMillan Edge stocks that weigh in the 22oz-24oz range, so they got the 'light' thing down.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X