Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 lb .22 "pak-rifle" NEED INPUT

Hey Everyone,

A friend is manufacturing a one pound "pak-rifle" in .22 caliber and just going through the motions of getting the fed paperwork approved in order to start marketing and selling it. He's put up a sneak-preview of it online:
    http://www.pakrifle.com/Pak-Rifle.html

Costs are high to manufacture etc, and he is looking at around a $400 price tag. He designed this about a decade ago and has been carrying one with him on backpack trips to put meat in the pot and go lighter on food. And for that it is really the cat's meow.

Anyway, was wondering if there is a market for this at that price, and thought I'd post it on the forum and get some opinions. Don't think there is anything this light and compact and durable out there, but not sure if all that many backpackers would spend this much on something like this. It's a fairly niche item I figure. Only 17" long when taken down, would fit in most any pack. And with peep sights it's very accurate.

So there ya go, tossing this out there. Can't really answer any questions other than what you find on the site. Thanks for input,
    Mark Richards
    www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Originally posted by bushrat View Post
    been carrying one with him on backpack trips to put meat in the pot and go lighter on food.
    Sorry, Neat idea, I wish him luck, but even if it was $99.00 I don't think there would be many buyers. Most guy's are scared to got afield with a .41 Magnum, they want "MORE" Power.

For me, that is what my S&W Model 17 (Rechambered to .22 Magnum) was hired to do, with its TT, TH and 8 3/8" Barrel.
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Pretty neat idea. Seems pretty high $ but I know how expensive one-off manufacturing can be.

I'd likely be more interested in a long barreled pistol version FWIW...
      "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Cool little gun, and I see no reason it could not come in a 2lb 357 or something also! I think there is more than just the back packing market myself. What comes to my mind is every bush plain in the world needs one in the safety gear just like a fire extinguisher.

From a business standpoint he needs to get a market feasibility study done by a third parity, there are businesses that do nothing but these studies. From there he would have a far greater handle on all the numbers as well as more evidence for securing investment and/or loans to move forward.
        Andy
        On the web= C-lazy-F.co
        Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
        Call/Text 602-315-2406
        Phoenix Arizona

Comment

It somewhat reminds me of the Zip-Guns we made in high school shop class back in the 50's.
          "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

I would worry about the open trigger but good safety would handle that.I would have no need but someone may like bush pilots etc.
            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Thanks

Appreciate the input. Hadn't thought about bush planes carrying one as survival rifle, good thought.
              Best,
              Mark Richards
              www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

Mark:

I'm assuming you're aware of the two survival rifles put out by Henry's and Marlin. They are a little more sophisticated, but also heavier.

The Marlin Papoose is 3.5 lbs and the Henry's is 2.5 lbs.

Among the purpose built .22 survival rifles, the Henry is unique. It is the U.S.A.F's quintessential survival rifle, weighing 2.5 pounds and measuring only 16.5" long when disassembled. This is the basic AR-7 design now manufactured by Henry. Its barrel, action, and two magazines store in its waterproof ABS plastic butt stock (there is no forend), and it floats. The steel barrel and action are Teflon coated for rust resistance. The look and feel of its bulbous butt stock has never appealed to me, but the rifle is actually pretty accurate. This autoloader comes with a 16" barrel and an 8 round detachable box magazine. The 2005 MSRP is $199.95 in black or silver; camo finish is an additional $50. A soft plastic carrying case is included.
                Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

For that price - why wouldn't someone buy a Savage/Stevens Favorite - weighs in at 3.5#, costs approx $150 used, and then take a wood rasp to the stock. Willing to bet you get another 1# off of it. Also - they make them in 22 WMR.

If take-down capability is a major criteria - they made take downs, or take it to a smith and have him make a take-down out of it. Wiling to bet someone would still be WAY under the $400 range.

Comment

neat

neat little gun maybe a bit high priced though. Springfield makes a good survival gun as well as marlin and henry. i bought the henry youth 22 this winter for a trapline gun, very light and incredibly accurate, single shot though. my wife wanted something that would take down so i found an older browning takedown for a good price, its probably the best backpack gun we have i like that it can be stored in the takedown mode loaded. hope he sells a bunch of them.

Comment

the Springfiled M6 copy has not been made for a while and seems to be going for about......$400!! which may be an indicator of the market for a specialty 22...

Comment

16 oz rifle seems ideal for bush planes...

Interesting rifle/thread. In Alaska, I thought private pilots were required to carry a firearm in planes - the survival gear maybe. Whether most do or not, I have no idea. Weight matters for bush pilots though; often choosing between cargo and fuel with each flight. I think Don Sheldon ditched the paint on his small Cessna because it gave him another 22 lbs or so for fuel, or cargo.

I'm not sure about the specific weight savings for Sheldon, but as ADfields pointed out, where weight matters, if you're going to keep a survival rifle in the plane for obtaining meat for the pot (only)...then 16 oz seems more attractive than 3-4 pounds or more. There might be strong arguments for another rifle/caliber vs this rifle, but arguments for the .22LR as a utility round for obtaining food are strong. And .22LR cartridges won't add much either. If it came down to: "This rifle vs no rifle", the answer for bush pilots could be: no contest.

16 oz rifle...amazing.
                        No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

In Alaska, I thought private pilots were required to carry a firearm in planes -
                          That used to be the case, but they dropped the requirement about 10 years ago. That way convicted felons (politicians) could fly, and the anti gun folks could drive another nail into our coffins.

Even if somebody is carrying a big magnum handgun for protection, there is nothing wrong with a super lightweight and ACCURATE 22 for critter getting...
                          Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
                          Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

Comment

Wow, saw this post originally but apparently didn't look at the site thoroughly or its been updated.

Lights/lasers/scopes/fishing poles!! Definitely a sweet little package. It'd definitely be a funn unit to have.

Likin' the anodized blue one!
                            The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
                            sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Cool concept but could prove a tough sale when the market already has a few models to choose from. Less of a wash for a multi-million dollar company to scrap a production that didn't really soar.
                              We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X