Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

280g Swift in 358 Norma?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 280g Swift in 358 Norma?

    Would the .358 Norma velocity (2400-2500 f/s) be too slow for heavily constructed A-frame chasing Kodiak BBs? I would like the penetration of the 280g but don't know if it would be a good choice fro this velocity rqnge.
    Maybe the 250g would be better?

    Reference:


    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=253268

  • #2
    I used the 225gr version in my 358 Norma Mag on my Kodiak brownie. Not one bullet stayed in the bear. Muzzle velocity with that bullet and load is at 3,000 fps out of a 26" Krieger barrel! Hammer of Thor right there, my friend.

    Comment


    • #3
      You should be able to get more velocity than that as a 300gr is supposed to do about 2650. Haven't tried the 300s so I can't say for sure. Mine shoots 250s at 2880. I would think 2700 would be resonable for the 280 and should perform very well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Green,

        Way to be unique with your choice to tote a .358 mag. A 280 grain bullet is a massive bullet. That's exceeds the 338 mag. and puts your rifle in the 375 H&H territory. 2400-2500fps. is plenty of velocity you have to think about how heavy this bullet is.......it's going to go through any game animal you aim at.
        www.freightercanoes.com www.copperheadalaska.com
        sigpic
        matnaggewinu

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rbuck351 View Post
          You should be able to get more velocity than that as a 300gr is supposed to do about 2650. Haven't tried the 300s so I can't say for sure. Mine shoots 250s at 2880. I would think 2700 would be resonable for the 280 and should perform very well.
          I don't think Swift makes a .358" 300 grain but you're right about the velocity, it should be higher. I would say the 280 is about 2600-2650 fps from a 22 to 24" barrel in the 358 Norma. It would be my bullet of choice for larger brown bears but interior grizzly can't handle the 250 grain. The 280 makes a very good all round load for serious work with the Norma. The 358 I've made on the 375 Ruger case has more capacity and it tops at about 2750 fps with the 280 grain Swift A-frame.
          Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?


          Comment


          • #6
            280g for Kodiaks

            Thanks for the replies. I would rather carry enough gun than not enough.
            After my little experience helping a friend get his 10 footer (no exaggeration) and hearing those monsters crash through the alders, I think a 280g A-frame at 26-2700fps would be the least I could do for my nerves.
            I was hoping to hear that that combo would work.
            Now for some practice with the little 250g Speers.

            Comment


            • #7
              358 norma

              Originally posted by Murphy View Post
              I don't think Swift makes a .358" 300 grain but you're right about the velocity, it should be higher. I would say the 280 is about 2600-2650 fps from a 22 to 24" barrel in the 358 Norma. It would be my bullet of choice for larger brown bears but interior grizzly can't handle the 250 grain. The 280 makes a very good all round load for serious work with the Norma. The 358 I've made on the 375 Ruger case has more capacity and it tops at about 2750 fps with the 280 grain Swift A-frame.
              The barrel is just over 21" so I thought the velocity would fall a bit.
              Need to find a good load now.
              Just picked up some RL15 & RL17 I thought might do the trick. They thought it was gold & I don't have much choice being stuck on the Emerald Isle. $37/lb (!!!) makes those shots seem a little more important. I do have a couple of pounds of H4350 that could work if I don't want to use the Reloader.

              Still thinking about the 358 Nukalpiaq pretty hard. Just under 2800 with a 280g sounds just about right.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by green sourdough View Post
                The barrel is just over 21" so I thought the velocity would fall a bit.
                Need to find a good load now.
                Just picked up some RL15 & RL17 I thought might do the trick. They thought it was gold & I don't have much choice being stuck on the Emerald Isle. $37/lb (!!!) makes those shots seem a little more important. I do have a couple of pounds of H4350 that could work if I don't want to use the Reloader.

                Still thinking about the 358 Nukalpiaq pretty hard. Just under 2800 with a 280g sounds just about right.

                RL-17 has worked for the Nukalpiaq and the 280 A-frame, a very good match. If you can find that powder it will work. The shorter barrel will probably deliver 2600 and as mainer_a_k mentioned that is more than enough for that bullet and even an angry bruin. If you have a chronograph anything above 2500 will be a stomper. You won't recover thebullets and that's the way I want it. You might also consider H4350 I do have data for that powder the RL-17 will likely be seat of the pants with some guidance and guesstimation for that caliber. It is good, though, in the 358 Nukalpiaq.
                Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?


                Comment


                • #9
                  How do you pronounce "Nukalpiaq"? That's been bugging me for awhile now.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Pronunciation

                    Originally posted by Matt View Post
                    How do you pronounce "Nukalpiaq"? That's been bugging me for awhile now.

                    "uturerancher welcome aboard.
                    To help everyone with correct pronunciation, here is a little assistance. Nukalpiaq (Nu-guth-pac), guth is pronounced like Guthrie without the "rie".

                    found here:
                    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=Nukalpiaq

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Been trying to keep up on the .358 Nukalpiaq. Have a Savage 116 stainless in 270. Ready to purchase a Douglass barrel. Will I need to order a barrel for a 35 whelen? Which barrel length do you recommend? What other things will I need or is it possible to ship my action to you and have it rigged up properly? What MOA are you averaging with yours? Sorry for all the questions...would like to have this come opening elk season this fall here in Idaho.

                      Thanks!!

                      Steve

                      Comment

                      Footer Adsense

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X