The .35 Whelen Vs. The 9.3X62 Mauser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The .35 Whelen Vs. The 9.3X62 Mauser

Put your two cents in folks. Which rifle would you prefer, a Ruger M77 chambered in 35 Whelen or a CZ 550 carbine in 9.3X62 Mauser? They both are very handsome rifles. Both of them would be good for Alaska in my opinion. I ended up buying the CZ 550 and here's why: Already owning a 358 winchester I wanted something a little bigger because the 358 can't shoot the 225 grain ballistic tips or the Barnes X-bullets (too long). I naturally prefer the carbines and the CZ had a fast twist and a 20 in. barrel. According to the reloading manuals the 9.3X62 Mauser has about a 5-6% advantage over the Whelen in case capacity. The 9.3 can shoot a 286 grainer about the same velocity as a 35 Whelen shoots a 250 grainer. The 9.3 can also be loaded with a massive 300 grain Swift A-Frame. The set trigger on mine breaks at 16 ounces and in the regular position it breaks at 3lbs. even. The gun hasnt even been fired yet. Both of these guns weigh under 7.5 lbs. and the CZ 550 comes with open sights, the Ruger does not. Here are the links for the 35 and the 9.3:
    http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProd...17117&return=Y

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=17
    www.freightercanoes.com www.copperheadalaska.com
    sigpic
    matnaggewinu

whew! that thread in regards to calibers will bring a great debate not sure about the rifles though. I looked at the CZ American and the FS and both appealed to me greatly when Down Under was still in business. The American was a light rifle but....thought too light for me. The FS was quite handsome but I did not like the buttstock nor the rear sight if I am not mistaken. I do however like the 9,3x62mm, have one that is ruggedly built, NECG front/rear,Timney Trig, Talley bolt, 23.5"bbl Lothar Walt., 3.34" mag/floorplate/trigger guard & parkerized and all housed in the infamous but sure grip in any weather the Hogue Rubber job. More spendy to get it done than buying a factory "almost" ready to go CZ but.....the VZ24 is a true M98.

The Ruger is and I have owned a few is a nicely built rifle, generally needs abit of massaging but a very good and accurate rifle on most accounts. The new Hawkeys don't from what I have directly seen. The caliber in question is quite applauded from many owners as a real buster! I just don't need one as I have 2 .338-06's and of course you see the 9,3 .......strongly considering another 9,3x62 build. Nothing wrong with a "middle of the road" caliber if you don't have a standard medium bore to start off with. I probably would have done that if.................but that is not how my cards were played out. I was raised with the .33 calibers along with the .30's and the .366 was next for an upscale in a new experience and it does that just fine.

I don't believe I was direct in preference in either so forgive me there just figuring the thought of them 2 calibers and in fact the 2 rifles in question. Both are ideal from my standpoint.

oh well, just a morning rambling.

Comment

Already decided

Well, since you already purchased the CZ and have explained the specifics on the 9.3X62, it is kind of a moot point. That being said, and I have owned both calibers, I would take the 35 Whelen for practical reasons. Cases are more readily available or can be made from standard 30-06 brass. With the 250 grain bullets available, anything in North America is do-able. But the CZ550 is an excellent gun. I would prefer the [approximately] 24 inch barrel of the American model. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Mauserboy said it all IMO.

Comment

mauserboy:
          great point on the availability of components plus for the Whelen. It is exremely hard to find brass for the 9.3 or factory ammo from the common places in AK. I found that out real quick when I called 5 consecutive gun stores in AK with no luck. Not the case for the whelen. I was bothered that stores will sell a gun....but not carry ammo for it. I bought 500 brass from graf n sons online for cheaper than the remington whelen brass. Can't decide on a bullet yet though.
          www.freightercanoes.com www.copperheadalaska.com
          sigpic
          matnaggewinu

Comment

Try Grafs

for the Prvi Partisan bullets. They are "traditional construction" bullets but work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
              mauserboy:
              great point on the availability of components plus for the Whelen. It is exremely hard to find brass for the 9.3 or factory ammo from the common places in AK. I found that out real quick when I called 5 consecutive gun stores in AK with no luck. Not the case for the whelen. I was bothered that stores will sell a gun....but not carry ammo for it. I bought 500 brass from graf n sons online for cheaper than the remington whelen brass. Can't decide on a bullet yet though.
              rifles and calibers are subjective for many reasons.....some of which were mentioned above. one thing that is beyone question, is the effectivness of the 9.3, which continues to this day as a premier caliber for europe and AFRICA.

the 9.3 is legendary as a rifle of modest recoil, and stopping power equal to the .375!

way to go.
              happy trails.
              jh

Comment

The best of both worlds would be the CZ in 35 Whelen.....the advantages of readily available brass and ammo in, IMO, a higher quality rifle.
                We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
                James Madison

Comment

No contest for me. The Ruger 77 in 35 Whelen.

Comment

Mainer, I too use Graf..bout 200 pcs. and Norma brass. The bullets I have are Norma Oryx 285's, Barnes 250TSX, Woodleigh 286 RN & 320 PP and Partition 286's. Last yr. took both a grizz and a moose using the Partition and no finer bullet is made ..... just one fine caliber! Lots of reloading gear via the internet...not a problem and yes locally you will find near to none if any at all. As for powder I'd like to have on hand some Ramshot BigGame for it but have lots of RL15...works well.

good for you!
                    regards,

Comment

No contest for me either. I have both.

Comment

what walk-in said. CZ are a fine rifle. Nothing wrong with the 9.3, but prefer the whelen from the availability stand point. Just buy a bunch of 9.3 brass (like you did) and be done with it.

Comment

Flip a coin, either will kill any AK game at reasonable ranges. Either one is pretty much a hand loading proposition.

If you want to be practical, 338 win mag wins hands down, but that wasn't an option.

I've got a 350 rem mag ruger, as I'm highly impractical
                          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

if I had money...

I would buy the CZ carbine in 9.3x62 and a matching one in 6.5x55.

Rugers are NOT for me. I typically try to buy American, but when I get a crappy product with crappy service to back it up like I did from Ruger, I tend to look elsewhere.

So if those are my 2 choices, it would be CZ every time.

Comment

Originally posted by c04hoosier View Post
                              I would buy the CZ carbine in 9.3x62 and a matching one in 6.5x55.

Rugers are NOT for me. I typically try to buy American, but when I get a crappy product with crappy service to back it up like I did from Ruger, I tend to look elsewhere.

So if those are my 2 choices, it would be CZ every time.

I bought a used 77/22lr and after abount 4years Its shear woudn't hold the firing pin back!! Called Ruger and said it was used before I bought it and ...... "they said ship it to us". Ruger replaced the trigger assembly, bolt assembly, and just because they thought it needed it a new barrel all free of charge and in less than two weeks. I'd say their service is first rate.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X