Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cryonizing a barrel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cryonizing a barrel

    Has anybody had a rifle barrel cryonized to incrase the accuracy. I had a .338 that seemed to wander a bit when I shot it. I figured that it was mostly due to me being a big wimp and flinching when I pull the trigger. I tried to alleviate the problem as well as I could and think I got the gun pretty steady while shooting it, although I did not have it locked in a vice while shooting it, but I still saw some wandering. One of the guys I used to work with swears he had the exact same problem with a 7 mm. and spent a ton of money on custom this and that for his gun. Nothing worked unti he got a $50 "Cryo dip" and after that his rifle was a tack driver. He explained what happens when you do it and is sold on the process. What do people here think about having it done?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  • #2
    Well

    I've purchased 2 barrells that were cryo'd a 6-284 w/1-9 twist and a 220 swift w/1-14 twist. Both were stainless fluted barrels that were short chambered for a Remington 700 actions.
    I can't say I saw any difference because these rifles came cryo'd from Pac-Nor. I can say these barrells shot very well though. On my good days the 6-284 w/107 grn VLDs would shoot under an inch at 300 yards. The 220 swift still has less than 200 rounds through it but shoots well.

    I do believe this it can't hurt anything but your pocketbook. Also have you checked your crown ? Do you shoot factory ammo or reloads built for this rifle ? There are a lot of unknown variables.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by brav01 View Post
      have you checked your crown ? Do you shoot factory ammo or reloads built for this rifle ? There are a lot of unknown variables.
      What does Checking my crown mean? I shoot factory federal premium 225gr, started with random brands but decided to stick to one. I picked that one because it seemed to be high quality and available everywhere.
      If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

      Comment


      • #4
        The crown is the very end of the barrel. If there is a nick, or a dent or some other damage it can affect how your bullet flies. Sometimes having the crown re-cut can do a world of good.
        I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by .338-06 View Post
          The crown is the very end of the barrel. If there is a nick, or a dent or some other damage it can affect how your bullet flies. Sometimes having the crown re-cut can do a world of good.
          I agree. The crown is the last piece of the barrel that your round touches as it exits. ANY nick will effect the shot.

          I know that different manufacturers of ammo will shoot differently in any gun. My Rem 700 wouldn't shoot Rem ammo for crap...Federal is ok. I reload and my groups have tightened dramatically.
          Visit my site, Guncraft, for exotic wood gun grips.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by moose-head View Post
            Has anybody had a rifle barrel cryonized to incrase the accuracy. I had a .338 that seemed to wander a bit when I shot it. I figured that it was mostly due to me being a big wimp and flinching when I pull the trigger. I tried to alleviate the problem as well as I could and think I got the gun pretty steady while shooting it, although I did not have it locked in a vice while shooting it, but I still saw some wandering. One of the guys I used to work with swears he had the exact same problem with a 7 mm. and spent a ton of money on custom this and that for his gun. Nothing worked unti he got a $50 "Cryo dip" and after that his rifle was a tack driver. He explained what happens when you do it and is sold on the process. What do people here think about having it done?
            the "cryo" process is well documented as to results on a "stressed" barrel. before spending the money (like other modifications...it has a limited value on resale) have a knowledgeable friend or gunsmith check your rifle. the problem may be as simple as a short threaded mount screw, or wandering zero on your scope.
            happy trails.
            jh

            Comment


            • #7
              I have a friend who swears cyro is the answer; I really do not know. wish I did have an answer. J.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think it might work

                A few years ago I bought my son a ruger m77 chambered in .300 Win. The guy I bought it from said he had the barrel cryonized, and magna-ported, but had never fired a round through it. We took a chance on it and it is one sweet shooter. Sam and I worked up probably a dozen or so different loads to really see what it would shoot the best. Much to our amazement it shoots everything its fed through the same hole about the size of a quarter. I have never seen a high powered rifle shoot such a diversity of loads so consistantly. I own several other rifles which I feel are fairly accurate, but they all pretty much put different loads in different places on the paper. I can think of no other explanation for this performance other than the freezing process. One of these days I would like to cryonize a barrel on one of the other rifles that I own just to see what happens.
                By the way MooseHead....Where did your friend find this cryo service available at?
                Last edited by Gary W.; 03-02-2009, 20:22. Reason: add a question

                Comment


                • #9
                  The following is a quote form Shilen Rifle. They are a well respected barrel maker for precession rifles.

                  "If you have heard that the cryogenic treatment stress relieves steel, this is false. We have measured the residual stress in 4140 and 416 steel with a process called x-ray diffraction. After much R&D, we have not been able to measure any changes in molecular stress after cryo treatment. For this reason we do not endorse the cryogenic process, but we can safely say that it is not detrimental to the barrel either."

                  Keven Thomas did a comparison of three identical rifle barrels, two of which were cryogenically treated and one of which was not, with comparisons of groups before and after treatment. His test, refferred to by Lilja, showed no change in accuracy in the cryogenically treated barrels.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Independant tests?

                    I own two rifles that I have had rebarreled with Shilens. They shoot great and do everything I had hoped for. My question is: is there any other cryogenic test information out there from other sources?
                    Last edited by Gary W.; 03-02-2009, 23:38. Reason: spelling error

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Gary W. View Post
                      By the way MooseHead....Where did your friend find this cryo service available at?
                      He shipped The barrel to some place in Washington (I think it was in Auburn). He told me that no FFL was needed because he only shipped the barrel, I'd check to be sure before I did it though. When he got it back he thought it was a scam because he could still see the residual grime from where his scope mount was. it looked like they hadn't done anything. After he shot it he was happy.
                      If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
                      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I had 4 barrels (2 TC, a M14, and a Rem 700) done by 300 Below...this was many years ago...I didn't shot any before shots and haven't shot any of the barrels after the treatment. If you go to their web site you can get their sales pitch.

                        I got in on a two for the price of one deal. I sent them four barrels in my box with the return shipping for one, it seems like it was $15. The actual shipping on UPS was like $9. They returned the barrels in my same box with the $9 to UPS and demanded I pay another $45 shipping for the other three barrels.

                        Comment

                        Footer Adsense

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X