Weatherby ammo good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weatherby ammo good or bad?

Does anyone have any experience with stock weatherby ammo on large game animals ,good or bad ? Please chime right in. Thanks Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Long time since I shot any, but at that time bullet performance was on par with anything else on the market.

I don't even know what current bullets are offered, but I will say that their ammo shot as well or better than any other factory loads in any rifle. For that matter, the accuracy of the Weatherby loads was hard to beat, even with my best handloads.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Comment

Thanks Brown Bear

They say on their website that they use Norma powders, and Hornady Interlock bullets. They also offer some A frames, Nosler etc. in some loadings. Thanks again.
      ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Comment

Weatherby Ammo

L/H7,

Their ammo is now and has always been made in Sweden by Norma. It is among the finest ammo in the world. They do now use A-frames, Partitions and other American bullets. They also use the Norma Oryx bullet which is a very good bonded bullet with a small meplat flat nose. The Norma powders used would be MRP and MRP-2, where the slowest burn is needed. These powders are very similar to RL-22 and RL-25 respectively, also made in Sweden. Hmmmm! The N-204 powder is very similar to RL-19.

And, of course, they use Norma brass for this Weatherby ammo. Roy went to Norma many years ago because it was rumored no American company would load to the ballistics he wanted. (Too many lawyers, I guess.)

I have hunted a lot with some Weatherby fanatics and they swear by the Weatherby ammo. Some of the early stuff was with bullets too fragile for the Weatherby velocity, but I think that has been remedied now with from Swift, Nosler, etc.
        Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Comment

Thanks Murphy, appreciate your expertise. Bill

Comment

I've never used factory ammo in my 7mm Weatherby, because it's too expensive.

I've no doubt that it's quality stuff, but perhaps some of it is loaded too hot. I've read that when used in very hot weather, say in Africa, it can give pressure signs.
            Smitty of the North
            Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
            Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
            You can't out-give God.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X