Stainless over wood - insights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless over wood - insights?

I have a friend buying her very first hunting rifle. She's looking at the Ruger 77 in 30-06.

My friend has a strong preference for:
    1) a new rifle, not a used one
    2) a stainless steel rifle
    3) a wood stock (not laminate - she likes the feel of wood).

Ruger doesn't offer new rifles in stainless over wood, and a very quick perusal of other manufacturers in the price range doesn't find one either.

So the questions are:
    1) What's the most cost-effective way to get a new stainless 30-06 over a wood stock?
    2) What's that likely to cost?

We'd appreciate any help you folks can offer.

What is her price range?

She can always buy a stainless/synthetic rifle and then replace the synthetic with wood.

I'm a wood/blued kind of person myself.

Comment

The most cost effective way is to buy a blued/wood gun and a stainless/synthetic or laminate gun. Swap the stocks, and sell the blued/syn or blued/laminate leftover. Assuming you get both rifles for a decent price, you ought to only be out about $50 for the wood stock.

Then again this is also the sneaky bastid way of getting a second rifle
      Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
        What is her price range?

She can always buy a stainless/synthetic rifle and then replace the synthetic with wood.
        Allen,

She's got a local shop offering her the 77 with a passable 3-9 scope for just under $850. I think that tops her out, though.

What's a wood stock cost, and can you just drop in the rifle and go, or do they generally need modification?
        Last edited by 8x57 Mauser; 10-04-2006, 14:33. Reason: quote went funny

Comment

Originally posted by Paul H View Post
          ...buy a blued/wood gun and a stainless/synthetic or laminate gun. Swap the stocks, and sell the blued/syn or blued/laminate leftover.

Then again this is also the sneaky bastid way of getting a second rifle
          Paul,

Sneaky as I am, I thought about that. Unfortunately, she can't tie up the $$ in the second rifle 'till it sells. And as much as I would love to take the second one off her hands, there's no way my budget has room in it for another rifle. I've tried six ways from Sunday to justify it: "I'd be helping out a friend," and "My daughters will need something to shoot when they get bigger," and "I really could use an (insert caliber here) to round things out."

But the cash isn't there. Any other brilliant inspirations?

Comment

Well for starters she should run away from that $850 price for a stainless Ruger 77 with only a passable scope. Those Rugers are only about $460 at dealer cost and to have it marked up 100% is crazy. No Trascho scope on the market will add any value to the firearm.

Go to either www.gunbroker.com or www.auctionarms.com and look for a transferring dealer in your area. You could also go too the main page of this web site and look for dealers in your area that will do transfers. Then have her go to one of the auction sites, register and bid on a rifle. The auction sites will also have stocks and what not for auction. Really hate to see a person get ripped off by a greedy dealer.

Comment

I'll echo what Allan says, the M77's are $500 rifles, so unless they topped it with a good leopold scope, they are asking way too much.

I believe you can buy factory stocks from Ruger, I don't have any pricing but would expect them to be somewhere between $100-150.

Since she's on a budget, I would most highly recomend she put that extra $100-150 into the scope and practice ammo instead of the stock.
              Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

I have to agree with Allen on this one, I know you can find a ss/syn on gunbroker with average starting bid around 499.00. I would then find a wood stock to surround it with if she still feels so inclined.

They are good guns, I ordered a ss/syn in 30-06 last friday and I hope it shows up soon so I can play with it.

Doug
                http://www.alaskasgreatoutdoors.com

Comment

I would go to Great Northern Guns and talk to them. Not too long ago, a lot of people were buying new guns with wood stocks and changing them out for synthetics. I went looking for a wood stock to replace my cracked one on an old Ruger, and found they had a bunch of them in the back room from those swaps. You may be able to get the wood one swapped out.

Kurt

Comment

It might be out of her price range, but Browning is showing a stainless rifle with a walnut stock.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=049
                    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Try the internet @ Remington.com - they have a model 700 Mountain LSS
                      in various calibers. The laminated wood stock would provide the "feel" along with durability to weather, warpage, etc. With the stainless barrel and action, actually looks like quite attractive package. Get your local pricing then shop around.
                      JWB

JWB

Comment

It's out of her budgeted amount, but have you guys seen the Sako 85 Grey Wolf? What a great looking weapon!
                        “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Winchester

Cabelias had a Winchester modle 70 with a walnut stock and stainless barrel. Very prety rifle! That is the only one I have ever seen like it. You might be able to still find one somewhere but I bet it wont be easy.

Comment

Might have her consider

the weight diff after a day of carrying it before saying it has to be wood or laminate.
                            Mike
                            Mike
                            www.alaskaatvclub.org
                            There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.:eek:

Comment

Winchester made the 70 Featherweight in walnut/Stainless...see if you can find one of them.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X