358Win Hawkeye Is Here - Range Report Starts Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 358Win Hawkeye Is Here - Range Report Starts Soon

Well it is finally here and some pictures of the rifle. I will start the range report this afternoon or tomorrow if weather permits me to do so. Well, it begins, the story of Mr. Magic. Sure hope I name this thing right.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well it is not an Weatherby Accumark or Custom but it is what it is for work 300yds and under. The velocities were not where I want them but I am not at max loads yet since this is the first time I have ever load for the 358Win.

I got fair accuracy for a hunting rifle but I will change charges and primers going to Fed 215 instead of 210. WW748 to slow as is IMR4895 and accuracy was not that good. I will be going to up my charges and get close to max with IMR4320, Accurate 2495 and Varget.

1. Varget

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

2.IMR4320

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
      THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
      THE HEART OF A CHILD
      THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

3. Accurate 2495

Group size .946"
        A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
        THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
        THE HEART OF A CHILD
        THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

Mmmm

Like you say, respectable but not great. I'm assuming that was a 200 grain bullet?

Don't know if you have gotten there yet or not, but check on bullet jump to the rifling. Mine are all sensitive to that, and as a general rule of thumb with 200's, accuracy improves as you edge toward max.
          "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
          Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
            Like you say, respectable but not great. I'm assuming that was a 200 grain bullet?

Don't know if you have gotten there yet or not, but check on bullet jump to the rifling. Mine are all sensitive to that, and as a general rule of thumb with 200's, accuracy improves as you edge toward max.
            Those were 225gr Sierra's and I have some 225gr Partitions on the way. I will find the load. If I could get one under an inch for the first time loading this cartridge and just got the rifle, I will find the load, it is out there for me to get.
            A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
            THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
            THE HEART OF A CHILD
            THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

Originally posted by beartooth View Post
              ... I will find the load, it is out there for me to get.
              Hmmmmm... wonder how TSX's might do? :rolleyes:
              "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
              ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by beartooth View Post
                Those were 225gr Sierra's and I have some 225gr Partitions on the way. I will find the load. If I could get one under an inch for the first time loading this cartridge and just got the rifle, I will find the load, it is out there for me to get.
                BTW-

How do you like that 1.5x5? Is the balance of the rifle with it onboard as appealing to you as it is to me?
                "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                  BTW-

How do you like that 1.5x5? Is the balance of the rifle with it onboard as appealing to you as it is to me?
                  I love the balance and feel of this Hawkeye with the 1.5-5, Ruger has done a good job on this rifle's ergonomics and the Leupold is perfect for this set up. This will be a very easy rifle to throw up and be right on my target real quick and will be easy to use when I spot and stalk.
                  A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                  THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                  THE HEART OF A CHILD
                  THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
                    Hmmmmm... wonder how TSX's might do? :rolleyes:

I feel from my experience that the TSX in this cal at these slower velocities is not what I want. If I wanted to poke a rod through game I would use it with this cartridge but I want something that will open up and like the Partition shed some of the front and the back half will do the rest. This is my preference with this cartridge and only my opinion.
                    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                    THE HEART OF A CHILD
                    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

I'm using 48.5gr of IMR 4320 using CCI 200 primers and Sierra 225gr bullets. I have the ruger hawkeye with the synthetic stock.

Comment

Hmmm....virtually every single target you showed of your former Weatherby's was better than the best of that Ruger. Not trying to rain on your parade, but, oh well. Looks like some work ahead of you. Start by bedding everything and getting the barrel floated.
                        Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Comment

Leupold 1.5X5

I've owned and hunted with these extensively for many years, both US and Africa.

The one issue that always bugged me (other than a 20MM objective) was that the barrel was visible through the scope at lower power settings (below say 3 X or so).

Never tried a 1.75X6. Can anyone comment if this "barrel in the scope" phenomenom happens with this model?

Comment

i have been using aa2015 with 200gr rem core-locks with satisfactory results.....and have taken deer and elk with it. great bullet expansion AND penetration. all told 7 head of game, one shot kills.

my load is cci 200 primer with remington brass 42.1 gr aa2015 + 200gr rem bullet = 2519fps-2528fps. this load is safe and accurate in my rifle (browning blr) but you should start lower and work up.

happy trails.
                            jh
                            happy trails.
                            jh

Comment

Well, as God is my witness (and I know what He says about all liars). I just shot one of the best groups of my life if not the best with an out of the box Ruger Hawkeye in 358Win.

The trigger on this New Ruger Hawkeye is absolutely great as good as the one on my Mark V Custom. In fact it out shot my Mark V Custom.

I will post the worst group today which was with Varget at 2491fps and one that represents other groups and powders I use today and then the best group using 46.5grs of Accurate 2495 with 215 Fed primers (that do make a difference) and Winchester brass with the 225gr Sierra HPBT and OAL was 2.7695" moving 2392fps

This was 2495 using 46grs, I started to write the wrong thing on this target.

Best three shot group and I will let you subtract the bore

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
                              THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
                              THE HEART OF A CHILD
                              THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X